roxylee123 Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:15am
post #7051 of 25877

I didn't even know culpitt had there own site :lol:

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:19am
post #7052 of 25877

AMorning everyone. :-)

Loads to catch up on again!

Welcome Lizzie and Linda. :-) Love the coy carp cake, Gray you did my head in with your blanked out word, took me an hour but I got it in the end!

Well done with the cake lace nanny, it's lovely.

Siany they're brilliant! You must be so proud of yourself.

Cheap non slip mats on ebay, dunno what they're like but I've got em on my watchlist.

Have I missed anything? Don't think so but apologies if I have.

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3239186/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

My daughters last minute, thrown together cake for home complete with bulges.

maisie73 Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:20am
post #7053 of 25877
Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:20am
post #7054 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxylee123 

Oh Tiddy you'll be like a kid at christmas when all that arrives :lol:

I know! {squeal!}

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:32am
post #7055 of 25877

Maisie, brilliant cakes! For something you threw together, the Peppa pig cake is fantastic! You must have been so exhausted :)

petitecat Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:34am
post #7056 of 25877

Er whoever mentioned the Callebaut Velvet- the prices are pretty high! Do you use them for wedding cakes only or for celebration cakes as well? 

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:41am
post #7057 of 25877

Maisie I love the cakes there fab, if I could throw a cake together and it look like that I'd be over the moon. I have the cheap cake lase mats off ebay I posted a pic last week I think it was will post results later when I've made some.

I looked at the callebaut velvet it is a bit pricy for me. Any other suggestions of brands of white chocolate for ganache from those that have made it?

maisie73 Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:47am
post #7058 of 25877

AAw thankyou Jean. :-)

There were lots of last minute changes of plan, the peppa pig family was supposed to go on the pigs in mud cake but when she asked for a cake for home I decided to make the smaller one pigs in mud (already had the pigs here from a cake I didn't make last month) for home and the bigger one peppa and her family jumping up and down in muddy puddles for school. But when I cut the mudcake it just fell apart so I had to put it together like a jigsaw and glue it with ganache, I couldn't have covered it with SP it was a mess so it turned into the pigs in mud cake instead, love kitkats, they hid everything!

It was a bit of a nightmare, I didn't finish them til 2am! Worth it to see her face though, she was delighted.:-)

maisie73 Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:48am
post #7059 of 25877

AThanks Roxylee. :-)

petitecat Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:59am
post #7060 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

the mudcake it just fell apart

I've made mudcake and thought it would be more robust than my chocolate sponge but it's not the case at all!! It is denser than a normal sponge but that's it. You did so well considering! 

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:03am
post #7061 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitecat 

Er whoever mentioned the Callebaut Velvet- the prices are pretty high! Do you use them for wedding cakes only or for celebration cakes as well? 

It was me :)

I use it for everything - wedding, celebration, truffles, eating from the bag - shh, who said that?? :-D

I buy in bulk, 2.5kg bags usually buying around 30/35kg a time of that and milk/dark/bitter. Also the Cacao Barry Extra Brute cocoa is gorgeous, but that is a bit pricey - around £7.50/kg the last time I ordered I think. If you can try it though it's worth it, it's a really deep rich red colour and intense flavour. 

The Velvet costs around £15 for 2.5kg, so considerably less than buying anything approaching decent from the supermarket. There is a £9 or £10 small order charge for under (I think) £200.

Victoria M Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Victoria M Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:11am
post #7062 of 25877

I really shouldn't have looked on Lakeland - seen soooo much that looks tempting :razz: oh well I sent off an order yesterday for some blossom tint dusts and just looking at or thinking about food colouring makes me hyper so I've got that to console me! :-D

That cake lace is sooooooo pretty, nanny!  Can't believe how finely detailed it comes out without breaking.

Your daughter must be really happy with those cakes Maisie!  Hope you don't feel too exhausted!

Oh and I've got so behind with this thread - almost forgot to say how amazing your Alice themed cake display looks Siany.  Very impressive :)

Welcome Lizzy and Linda :) - that is one gorgeous cake Linda.  From what I've seen of this thread we're so spoilt for having talented cake decorators here, and it looks as if we'll be getting even more of a treat!

Tiddylicious Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:20am
post #7063 of 25877

AWell I went and rounded it off with a trip to eBay! Think that's a years profit down the swanny lol

Live the peppa cake :)

petitecat Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:23am
post #7064 of 25877

We're keeping the economy alive eh, just by buying ingredients, equipment, tools etc etc etc!!!

petitecat Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:25am
post #7065 of 25877

i'm off to lakeland!

Lizzybug, thanks for the info! Belcolade is absolutely gorgeous, I'm sure Callebaut is too. 

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:27am
post #7066 of 25877

Haha we certainly are, I bet Lakeland don't know what hit them this morning :lol:

My cake lace is in the oven as we speak so fingers crossed I've done it right and it turns out.

Lizzybug78 Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:31am
post #7067 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxylee123 

Haha we certainly are, I bet Lakeland don't know what hit them this morning :lol:

Just buying a couple of multisize tins as we speak...:roll:

I'm umming and ahhing over the hemisphere tins. Anyone who has them, do you use them often? I can't say I've ever had an order for a spherical cake, and I tend to just carve for semi-circles as I like to layer them. However, obviously I neeeeed them as they're cheap :-D

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:35am
post #7068 of 25877

Ayou lot are a bad influence!! I didn't know I 'needed' tins & more lace! ha ha oh well, ikea at the weekend for another storage shelf :D

maisie73 Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:38am
post #7069 of 25877

AThanks Victoria and Tiddy. :-)

Yes Jean it's a bit of a nightmare, I thought t was me but someone else (Gray I think) said it always happens to them too. I'm going to try Lindy's chocolate fudge cake I think, see if I get on with it better. What's that noise? Oh it's Siany cheering! :-D

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 21 May 2014 , 11:03am
post #7070 of 25877

AYeah the only mudcake that works well for me is the white one, the others get a split inside, like when you bake a cheesecake.... I can't bring myself to waste more chocolate trying to get it right!................ I have LACE to play with instead! (When it flippin' arrives!! ha ha! come on post-mule MUSH MUSH!)

Is everyone using premade 'lace mix' or are you trying any homemade recipes?

Tiddylicious Posted 21 May 2014 , 11:07am
post #7071 of 25877

Quote:

i'm off to lakeland!

Lizzybug, thanks for the info! Belcolade is absolutely gorgeous, I'm sure Callebaut is too. 

dont do it!!!!!!!

and i just heard that royal mail are going to start a sunday delivery!!!! yay!!! haha!

Tiddylicious Posted 21 May 2014 , 11:16am
post #7072 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

Is everyone using premade 'lace mix' or are you trying any homemade recipes?

Ive ordered pavoni magic decor, and will try bowman too seeing as soooo cheap from culpitt! I have google endlessly to find a home made lace recipe and the closest i came was a marshmallow based one but the feedback wasnt good so didnt try it.

Lizzybug78 Posted 21 May 2014 , 11:19am
post #7073 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

Ive ordered pavoni magic decor, and will try bowman too seeing as soooo cheap from culpitt! I have google endlessly to find a home made lace recipe and the closest i came was a marshmallow based one but the feedback wasnt good so didnt try it.

Claire Bowman lace is really nice. 

I have gold ready mixed and white powder with the liquid additive. The gold is quite stiff when ready, so I use a few drops of the liquid that came with the powder and it really helps soften it.

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:23pm
post #7074 of 25877

ROFL oh you guys do make me laugh so much! :D

Maisie - fab piggy cakes, I love them both! I might have to do a Pigs in Mud for DH's birthday I think, as he's a bit of a chocoholic, and I really want to make those little piggies LOL!

Yay for all the cake lace too, I'm afraid it is rather addictive once you've started making it :D

Tiddy you have made me giggle....step awaaaay from the online shopping LOL! ;)

Although I am now thinking about what pans I need to get....and there's a Lakeland about 5 mins away from me (VERY dangerous, poor DH didn't realise that one when we moved here teehee!). Interested to hear views on the hemisphere pans too though as I might have a birdcage cake coming up in August and was debating if it would be good for the top?

petitecat Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:33pm
post #7075 of 25877

Tiddy just had a look at culpitt.com. There are no prices for anything and you can't add what you want to your basket! How do you buy anything from them?

petitecat Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:43pm
post #7076 of 25877

Mel, I might just advertise on my site that I only do round cakes from now on. I bought 1 x large hemisphere pan, 1 x small hemisphere, and 2 x medium!!! I only went to get the medium because I am making a ball cake for my daughter in June LOL

Tiddylicious Posted 21 May 2014 , 1:05pm
post #7077 of 25877

Quote:

Tiddy just had a look at culpitt.com. There are no prices for anything and you can't add what you want to your basket! How do you buy anything from them?

I have a trade account :)

Tiddylicious Posted 21 May 2014 , 1:06pm
post #7078 of 25877

My dinky was £52! :o rude not to at that price!

petitecat Posted 21 May 2014 , 1:32pm
post #7079 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

I have a trade account :)

Oooooohhhh I see!!!

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 21 May 2014 , 1:32pm
post #7080 of 25877

AMaisie, love both piggy cakes, so happy you got them done.

Well you'll all be pleased to know I hav'nt bought anything cake today, however I have bought a rather odd scooter, grandsons b'day next week.

Hi to absolutely everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%