A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 3:29pm
post #5611 of 25877

Roxy I do that on my turntable too, things are always flying all over the place without it. 

Mel that looks lovely. Gorgeous bright colours. I cant wait to see your vintage/lace cake. I'm thinking that that is the design/look I'll go for on my next cake for my mums birthday next week. Maybe not a lot of lace, looks complicated, but definitely the vintage look. 

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 3:40pm
post #5612 of 25877

Thanks Kathy :) Nice idea with the duvet, I'd never have thought of that! Isn't it fab that we all have different ways of accomplishing the same task?! I love it :)

Sugarluva, thank you, I really wanted something bright and cheery, and orchids seemed to make it just that little bit more exotic looking!

I'm really hoping the lace cake works LOL! I do 'cheat' though and I'll be using Cake Lace, so actually aside from the peony, its hopefully not a very labour intensive design. I got my new lace mat at CI and its been sitting in the cupboard whispering at me to try it out! :D

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 3:44pm
post #5613 of 25877

AMel,that really is lovely, gorgeous colours.

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 3:58pm
post #5614 of 25877

ABeautiful cake Mel ! I fear I have alot of catching up to do ! Where you all buy your cake both from, online ? X

Jo Field Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 4:04pm
post #5615 of 25877

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3228352/width/200/height/400[/IMG] not sure if this is going to work but this is my last cake. Be gentle lol

Jo Field Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 4:05pm
post #5616 of 25877

ABtw I coloured the fondant myself I didn't cheat with precoloured, although I might next time as took ages !

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 4:20pm
post #5617 of 25877

Thank you all! I appreciate the fingers crossed for the next stage!

Mel - your cake is wonderful! I think the orchids are really well placed!

Jo -  your cake is really cleanly done! (I love clean looking cakes!) The colours of your sugarpaste are great as well, really bright which shows great commitment seeing as you coloured it yourself!

Jo Field Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 4:33pm
post #5618 of 25877

AThanks Natt! My question before didn't come out right, messaging on my phone isn't the best! Where do you all buy your cake boxes from ?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 4:47pm
post #5619 of 25877

AHi everyone...

Natt, well done and all the best for the next stage..:smile:

Mel & Jo, cakes are beautiful!!:smile:

I finished my cake for tomorrow, had a disaster... The customer didn't want any chocolate near the cake, so I didn't use ganache. I had to use butter cream and cover it with fondant and I could see the bulging and had recover and it was better than the first time but still not happy!!!:(

Here is a close up of the flowers.... Will post the whole picture once it's delivered. :-)

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3228376/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 4:56pm
post #5620 of 25877

AMel it's fab! I love the colours too!

Jo, what do you mean be gentle?! No need to be gentle, it's lovely! If you want us to be picky (i'm assuming you do, I do when I put a cake on here, my lot are useless, everything I make is wonderful as far as they're concerned!) The cross part of the English bit looks like one piece over another? I think it would be better flat. Not saying I could've got it flat mind! The letters are brilliant (mine alwYs look like a 2 yr old's done them!) and the spacing between the stripes looks spot on! The royal wedding was on my friends little boys birthday so she had a royal wedding themed party for him. She paid £65 for a union flag cake and it wasn't as good as yours. (Sponge was dry too!). It's really good. :-)

maisie73 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 5:00pm
post #5621 of 25877

AI can't believe you coloured it yourself Jo! I tried to do red once, never again! Bashini I love your flowers! I so need to learn to make roses, maybe I should do some for my birthday cake, won't matter if I have strangled cabbages on my own will it!

Mel37 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 5:00pm
post #5622 of 25877

AI agree with Natt, very clean cake Jo! Looks great :) I buy my boxes from Craft Company or A Piece of Cake mainly for the thinner cardboard type, for corrugated larger boxes, or cupcake boxes I use Cupcake Boxes UK.

Lovely flowers Bashini, love the pink and blue combination :)

maisie73 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 5:04pm
post #5623 of 25877

AJo are they the funky letter tappits you were on about earlier?

Jo Field Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 5:07pm
post #5624 of 25877

AWell I actually got the pic off Pinterest which also had a visible crossover on the red, so didn't even think to try and not have it !! Thanks though for your comments, it was my first time using the letters and first time I've covered a board ! Told you I'm a newbie lol

Jo Field Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 5:08pm
post #5625 of 25877

AYes these were the letters Maisie, I have upper and lower case think they only totalled £12 the lot :-) btw I only charged £10 - shocker ! But it was a good friend :-)

maisie73 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 5:31pm
post #5626 of 25877

AI've only just started covering my boards Jo, (completely does my head in though!) I've only been decorating just over a year, I'm not much good but I love it! I've learned so much since I've been here, I'm so glad I joined. I really like those letters, I might have to put them on my watch list. Are they difficult to work with? And, thinking about it, if you didn't cross them over they would've been joined and that might not have looked so good.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 5:40pm
post #5627 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

And, thinking about it, if you didn't cross them over they would've been joined and that might not have looked so good.

Although you could have had each cross-piece ending in a pointed v shape so that they joined equally in the middle...?

Jo Field Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 5:46pm
post #5628 of 25877

AYes Lizzie good thinking !! Will try to be neater next time. I did find the letters quite tricky but think my tylo powder didn't work quick enough because of so much gel colour in the sugar paste !

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 5:51pm
post #5629 of 25877

Blimey - can't keep up with you guys! I know I'm going to miss someone so apologies in advance.

Welcome to the new arrivals to the thread. Lovely to have you on board.

Nannycook, Lizzie, Jo, Mel and Bashini - all lovely cakes. Mel I love the sound of your lace cake. I have several Cake Lace mats also lurking in my cupboard and funny old think the postman brought me a new one this morning. :mischeivous: It is called Serenity (just released). I'm working on a huge peony for a ruby wedding anniversary and after my wedding cake last week am glad to be sticking to a single flower for my next cake. I am also going to break out the Cake Lace mats and use one of them to keep this design simple. The owner of a Piece of cake has been testing the Cake Lace and she said it is really easy to use. She also didn't bake it as she wasn't in a hurry and just left it to air dry overnight.

A bit nervous about trying SPD after the recent comments. That was going to be my next try as I used Covapaste for the first time last week.

Not sure if I've posted this link before but this is what I use for scaling cake recipes http://www.deliaonline.com/community/yourrecipes/baking/Scaling-cake-ingredients.html. I have my most used recipes on a spreadsheet and have it calculate the ingredients so I can see the quantities at a glance for each size and shape.

I'm very happy as I have just booked another workshop with Debbie Brown doing a Cinderella cake. It's not until November but something to look forward to straight after the NEC. Two cakey weekends - yay!

Well done on the interview Natt - great achievement.

Kathy hope things are better with you.

Maisie - glad little one is better and well enough for school.

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:02pm
post #5630 of 25877

AHi all

Quick question, how do I make maroon coloured paste, can't think of what I need and my next cake is iron man

Thanks

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:12pm
post #5631 of 25877

Jo if you have a Quality save or Bargain Save store near you they will probably have it they seem to sell pretty much the same store if not I'm sure Wilkinsons would sell it. I love your cake the colours are so bold great job.:smile:

Mel wow beautiful cake the orchids are fantastic.:smile:  I haven't had the chance to try cake lace yet but have a couple of small mats, what brand of cake lace are you using? 

Bashini the flowers are gorgeous :smile: 

Catsmum you are so lucky I would love to do a Debbie Brown workshop I have a few of her books. 

This is a cake I made out of one of her books not long after I first started cake decorating as you can see I need her workshop lol

nannycook Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:27pm
post #5632 of 25877

ATo everyone who put Pics they are all fab.

You're all so tarented!!

I made pansies for a cake on Fri, now I like them, but that doesn't mean they are right. Also this time my fondant went on fine, isnt that strange?

roxylee123 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:39pm
post #5633 of 25877

Lets see a pic of your pansies Nannycook. I have a pansy mould but have never used it did you use a mould or make them by hand?

Mel37 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:39pm
post #5634 of 25877

AOoh I just noticed you are in Bucks Catsmum, I'm just over the border in Oxon! I go into APOC a lot as I used to work in Thame :) Norma & Jenny are lovely aren't they! I use the Claire Bowman Cake Lace, it's fab and sooo easy! And my mat for tomorrow is Serenity LOL! :)

Siany, isn't maroon dark red with a hint of purple?

Love the cake. Roxy! I'd love to do a Debbie Brown class too, her cakes are so detailed..

Glad the pansies went well Nanny, I've never made them but would love to for a spring cake :-)

roxylee123 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:41pm
post #5635 of 25877

Thanks Mel. Have you used the Claire Bowman cake lace before if so is it one that you have to put in the oven?

nannycook Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:43pm
post #5636 of 25877

ACatsmum, do you have Claire Bowmans cake lace?, would love love love it. Where did you get it from?

nannycook Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:47pm
post #5637 of 25877

AI have a mold roxylee, used it last night, flipping awful, they were thick and horrible and as my hubby used to teach horticulture they'd to be right so he picked one out of the garden and I used a rose cutter, they are OK.

nannycook Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:50pm
post #5638 of 25877

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3228445/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Here they are, there is a proper cutter but it was expensive so didn't buy it.

roxylee123 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:58pm
post #5639 of 25877

They are really pretty Nannycook I think you've done a great job and they will look lovely on your cake ;-D

nannycook Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 7:08pm
post #5640 of 25877

AThank you Roxylee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%