A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:35am
post #4591 of 25877

AMaisie, something like these? They are not mine. Just found on google.

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3219401/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3219402/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:38am
post #4592 of 25877

PS OMG Gray I just saw your wedding cake!!! Thats stunning!!!

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:41am
post #4593 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel37 

Siany, do you mean your roses need to be white with bright red splotches, from the part in the story where they paint the white roses red? You could maybe make a few red petals, to mix in with the white, then half paint some of your white ones before assembly a bit splotchy with red gel colour? Sounds like a fab idea though, look forward to the pictures!

I'm busy making orchids today, bright pink to go on one of my dummies!

Yes Mel, that is exactly what I mean :)  The roses are going to decorate my cake stand with my pastillage playing cards and mad hatters hat.

I love making orchids, you can make them so pretty :)

Mel37 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:45am
post #4594 of 25877

Oooh so pretty!!! (Googled!) Think this is buttercream, but would work for ganache too I would think?

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:46am
post #4595 of 25877

AThanks guys, good ideas and lovely cakes. I must confess to being a bit (a lot!) apprehensive about a smooth buttercrezm cake though. I have enough trouble crumb coating! I thi nk they look the most difficult cakes, they'd have to be perfect wouldn't they? I like busy cales so I can hide my mistakes! I think I'll see how I go with roses and if I do well I'll try it. Yikes! Thankyou. :-)

Mel37 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:51am
post #4596 of 25877

Siany that sounds fab! Might be a bit out there, but what if you dipped the white roses in something like melted red candy melts, or lightly splattered them? Not at all sure how that would work exactly, but you might get a nice 'drippy' effect?

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 11:09am
post #4597 of 25877

ASo much to catch up on. These are my roses I made for a cake some months ago.[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3219417/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 11:13am
post #4598 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel37 

Siany that sounds fab! Might be a bit out there, but what if you dipped the white roses in something like melted red candy melts, or lightly splattered them? Not at all sure how that would work exactly, but you might get a nice 'drippy' effect?

You took the words right out of my mouth... erm... off my fingers... erm..... you know what I mean! :-)

Thanks Mel :-) I was working on that darn cake 20 mins before I left the house for the wedding! sheesh!

Cakejeanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakejeanie Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:04pm
post #4599 of 25877

O wow gosh I go to the park with my little one and I have missed loads lol

Maisie, what about roses. I didn't do this cake, but it is something I got from google:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_dtKkc48lo884H-DzqarhWBiXBzf0QbxuLYcRVtL7rkvuWhAy-g

I've also been wanting to try ruffles (again, not my cake but a google image:)

232.jpg

Siany, sorry I couldn't help. The others seem to have the answers! 

Crazygray, I wanna see your wedding cake! I guess its somewhere on this thread so will backtrack now and look for it!

So many have done lovely square cakes! Nannycook that is lovely.

Crazy-Gray Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:25pm
post #4600 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakejeanie 

Crazygray, I wanna see your wedding cake! I guess its somewhere on this thread so will backtrack now and look for it!

This is my cake Jeanie, I made it nearly 2 years ago and it's still the best cake I've made lol

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2400199/a/2401199/

Cakejeanie Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:40pm
post #4601 of 25877

This is my cake Jeanie, I made it nearly 2 years ago and it's still the best cake I've made lol

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2400199/a/2401199/

whooooaaaaahhh that is fabulous! I've never seen that style before. I'm about to have a look at your instructions :)

bashini Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:42pm
post #4602 of 25877

AWow!!! That is truly amazing, Gray!!! How did you do that? I don't think I have the courage to something like that!!! Just beautiful!!! :D

Crazy-Gray Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:56pm
post #4603 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini 

Wow!!! That is truly amazing, Gray!!! How did you do that? I don't think I have the courage to something like that!!! Just beautiful!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Ach I didn't mean to fish for compliments I'm getting bashful here!! the boss is gonna wonder why I'm red-faced! lol

There was a severe "oh dear..." moment when my wife-to-be said "i want this please mr Cake maker who said he will made me anything I like!" But other CCers helped me so much I'm very grateful to them indeed!

It's actually 'just' strips of modelling choc done as you would for a ruffle cake only diagonally, they had to be much longer than for a normal ruffle though, the longest was about 4 feet - using MC meant I could make the joins invisible though so the really long ones were done with three short strips :-)

bashini Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:19pm
post #4604 of 25877

AYou deserve it Gray!!:-D I just had a look at the instructions. Very helpful. :)

maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 2:02pm
post #4605 of 25877

AWow Gray, that's stunning!

I thought about rose swirls, I did one for her last year (just one tier), I don't think it would look as good as that if I tried it tho. That ruffles cake is lovely too.

maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 2:30pm
post #4606 of 25877

AThis might be a stupid question but are these the same thing? [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3219505/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Siany01 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 3:18pm
post #4607 of 25877

AGrey that cakes fabulous!!!

maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 4:05pm
post #4608 of 25877

AThanks Mel, I watched the youtube video, more stuff to buy! Sorry nanny, don't know how I missed your cake, it's lovely. :-)

bashini Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 4:48pm
post #4609 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

This might be a stupid question but are these the same thing?
Maisie, I am not sure but personally I would only use the Dr. Oetker one. 
Siany01 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 4:53pm
post #4610 of 25877

AMaisie reading up on it, it would appear yes they are BUT I would still only use the one from the baking aisle. I would try and find a non dr oetker one but that's cos I do not like the brand, the sugar paste is the most vile stuff :(

maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 5:44pm
post #4611 of 25877

AThanks both. I've got bigger problems now though, my oven's broke! The earliest I can get anyone to have a look at it is tuesday, so no garlic bread tomorrow and no leg of lamb sunday. :-( And depending what time they come no easter cupcakes for my daughters dancing group Wednesday. :-(

Crazy-Gray Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 5:53pm
post #4612 of 25877

AOh no! I guess I'm too far away for you to use my oven... There's only two of us to share the lamb with ;-)

nannycook Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 6:08pm
post #4613 of 25877

AOh gray, I'm in awe of you, outstanding cake, fantastic!!

Oh no Maisie, cannot imagine, bring your things over here you dont live far from me. I also did a rose cake for daughters cake last yr,will you now.[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3219561/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 6:20pm
post #4614 of 25877

AAw thanks for the offers. :-) I'm in such a bad mood about it! Never mind, it'll be working by the time my next birthday cake is due, I'll just try not to think about it for now. That cake is lovely nanny, my rosettes never look that defined. If I did do a rosette cake how would I decorate the board? All of them I've seen aren't decorated but I want to, it's my new favourite thing.

Cakejeanie Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 6:21pm
post #4615 of 25877

Lovely rose cake Nannycook! I tried that once with whipped cream on a black forest cake and it was a disaster lol

Just letting you all know I will be attempting to delete my account and then start again with a new one. I made the mistake of using my business name as my profile name. In case customers google me, I don't want them to see my posts here on CC.

Apparently once you have given a user name you cannot change it- why on earth not I do not know. Those are the rules. So I think my only option is to delete my account and start again. I won't be doing it straight away, will check out all the info first about deleting accounts.

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 6:46pm
post #4616 of 25877

Hi people - I'm back and I'm so exhausted!  My phone is drained so I can't put any pics on but some of the cakes were amazing.  There's a Harry Potter (so DD tells me) street scene with lights twinkling inside; a dolls house with an open door and furniture and lots of scary stuff like dragons and weird looking spooky dolls.  There is an amazing one which is almost a full replica of the Clyde and Seymore show in Sea World Florida!

We had two demonstrations - the first was with Tracey Mann and she was really funny and made these amazing chocolate shoes.  We promptly decided that we needed to have that shoe mould and they were going fast.  We then went to see Mich Turner make an Easter cake - it was interesting but funnily enough it was really a bit basic - although I did learn a couple of things - the best bit was the sit down.  She was mobbed at the end and as she had overrun they were trying to get everyone out for the next session.  So I wasn't able to make her my friend after all :(

Some of the things I got (apart from the large shoe mould) were lace moulds which included a knitted flower and knitted band mould - they were so cute.  I got chocolate, moulding chocolate, chocolate transfer sheets, piping tubes, brooch mould and colours - including violet!!  DD bought a giant cupcake tin as well as other bits and I finally got my Alan Silverwood tiny round tins.

One thing which shocked me when we walked in was the Ed Able Art stand in the front.  There were so many people buying their stuff too.  I did say very loudly that I would have brought all my stuff back if I knew they were going to be there but DD pulled me away.  I saw a difference with other sellers saying that their glitter was safe for food contact - I didn't ask any questions at Ed Able Art because I would have had a row. 

All in all, I have had a lovely time and am so tired.

Cute minions by the way! 

bashini Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 7:11pm
post #4617 of 25877

ABarbara, that cake is lovely. :) I have a giant cupcake cake and cupcakes to do for a wedding in two weeks time. I will be doing those roses then...:)

Kathy, it's a shame you could make friends with Mich. :( But glad you had a god time!!:)

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 7:22pm
post #4618 of 25877

AWow I've missed a lot on here today. Those minion cupcakes are adorable (were they nannycooks I've forgot who put them on now?)

I love all of your roses I don't have the patience for flowers at all!

I am completely in awe of your cake gray - that is truly amazing and so sweet it was for your wife. I hope she was impressed! Haha

nannycook Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 7:33pm
post #4619 of 25877

AYes sugarluva they were mine, I've made these twice for her, she asks me to make them for her grandchildren.

Kathy glad you had a fab day.

I bought a giant cupcakes the otherday, let me know how you get on with it.

bashini Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 7:49pm
post #4620 of 25877

AMy friend gave me a gift voucher for my birthday. So I bought the giant cup cake tin. Can't wait to try it!!:-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%