A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 11:42am
post #4561 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakejeanie 

I've been meaning to try modelling chocolate- mainly because of the fact it blends seams. I'm dragging my feet about it because of all the factors I need to know first- how to make it, colour it, store it, etc etc etc.

Totally buy Wicked-Goodies book, it's £10 on amazon at the moment, I love it it tells you everything you need to know about MC :-)

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 11:48am
post #4562 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Crazy-Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siany01 

I use corn syrup from amazon/ebay, you don't have to wring the cocao butter out with that,

I just used golden syrup when I made it and it seemed to work just fine. Easier to get hold of too.

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 11:48am
post #4563 of 25877

AHmm no idea why it included my reply in the quote as well but hey Ho...

Cakejeanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakejeanie Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 5:41pm
post #4564 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

Quote:

I've been meaning to try modelling chocolate- mainly because of the fact it blends seams. I'm dragging my feet about it because of all the factors I need to know first- how to make it, colour it, store it, etc etc etc.

Totally buy Wicked-Goodies book, it's £10 on amazon at the moment, I love it it tells you everything you need to know about MC icon_smile.gif

Crazy-Gray, I've just checked and it's £15 at the mo. Amazon prices do go up and down so I might wait a while. 

Crazy-Gray Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 7:29pm
post #4565 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Cakejeanie

Crazy-Gray, I've just checked and it's £15 at the mo. Amazon prices do go up and down so I might wait a while. 

Aw boo :-( hopefully it comes down again for you :-)

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 8:29pm
post #4566 of 25877

Happy to say I ordered the modelling chocolate book that Crazy-Gray mentioned for £9.50 plus postage.  Cakejeanie - it's from the Amazon marketplace and I have already ordered a couple of books from this seller in the last month - they were really good. 

Maisie - you are funny!  Signing off now folks - got a busy day tomorrow at Cake International! 

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 10:16pm
post #4567 of 25877

AQuiet on here this evening. Hopefully you're all having either lovely relaxing evenings or the other option of being busy caking. I have spent the evening making roses. Think I need to make more of them, though that's not a hardship as I really enjoy it. Just got to part paint these red now. Need to work out how to do it, wondering if air brushing might work, I need to leave part white so not sure it would as the roses are quite small.

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 7:05am
post #4568 of 25877

AOh Lucky you kathy, no keep that purse under wraps. Have a fab day.

Cakejeanie Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 7:14am
post #4569 of 25877

Quote:

Quiet on here this evening. Hopefully you're all having either lovely relaxing evenings or the other option of being busy caking. I have spent the evening making roses. Think I need to make more of them, though that's not a hardship as I really enjoy it. Just got to part paint these red now. Need to work out how to do it, wondering if air brushing might work, I need to leave part white so not sure it would as the roses are quite small.

Good morning everyone!

Siany, have you tried edible red dust? you just brush it on the parts you want, then steam to set. I've tried this before and its great. I brushed the inside of my roses a pink colour to give it dimension and it made my roses look lovely.

Cakejeanie Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 7:16am
post #4570 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

Happy to say I ordered the modelling chocolate book that Crazy-Gray mentioned for £9.50 plus postage.  Cakejeanie - it's from the Amazon marketplace and I have already ordered a couple of books from this seller in the last month - they were really good. 

Maisie - you are funny!  Signing off now folks - got a busy day tomorrow at Cake International! 

Have a great time! I had intended to to go cake international in manchester. I only knew about it a few days before hand but was distracted by a cake and missed it. I was devastated!

I'll have a look for the book :)

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 7:18am
post #4571 of 25877

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3219372/width/200/height/400[/IMG] Was making minion cupcakes for my hairdressers grandchildren.

Cakejeanie Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 7:20am
post #4572 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook 

Was making minion cupcakes for my hairdressers grandchildren.

Fab cupcakes nannycook! I can just see the cupcakes peeking out- oooh yummm. 

Siany01 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 7:29am
post #4573 of 25877

Quote:

Good morning everyone!

Siany, have you tried edible red dust? you just brush it on the parts you want, then steam to set. I've tried this before and its great. I brushed the inside of my roses a pink colour to give it dimension and it made my roses look lovely.

Yes, that's what I would normally use on flowers but as I need to leave part white (doing alice in wonderland painting the roses red so need to be part white) I wasn't sure it would give the effect I was looking for.  This is the dust on my roses, I love the way it works but not sure it wouldn't go in the wrong place being dust if that makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook 

Was making minion cupcakes for my hairdressers grandchildren.

I love these.  I really want to do a minon cake but my son keeps refusing to have one for his birthday and wants avengers.  Very inconsiderate of him if you ask me hehehe

Cakejeanie Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 8:08am
post #4574 of 25877

Quote:

Yes, that's what I would normally use on flowers but as I need to leave part white (doing alice in wonderland painting the roses red so need to be part white) I wasn't sure it would give the effect I was looking for.  This is the dust on my roses, I love the way it works but not sure it wouldn't go in the wrong place being dust if that makes sense.

I love these.  I really want to do a minon cake but my son keeps refusing to have one for his birthday and wants avengers.  Very inconsiderate of him if you ask me hehehe

Nice rose! Did you have to use a lot of dust to get that colour? Which parts do you want to leave white?

this is a pic of the roses i was talking about. Bit grainy because I just zoomed in on a photo. forgot to take close ups of the roses.

i brushed pink dust inside and some on the outer parts of the petals. I need to start practicing other flowers now! Just need to decide which ones to start with first.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 8:17am
post #4575 of 25877

AGood Morning all!!!:)

Barbara, love those cupcakes. They are fab!!!:D

Siany, I made some roses few weeks ago using the inner petals in pink flower paste and the outer ones in white, I should have used another lighter shade of pink in between the pink and the white, to get the gradually shading effect... Here is the picture...

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3219381/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Not happy with them as they non wired. :(

Hope you get the idea what I am trying to say.....:grin:

Cakejeanie Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 8:21am
post #4576 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by bashini 

Good Morning all!!!icon_smile.gif

Barbara, love those cupcakes. They are fab!!!icon_biggrin.gif

Siany, I made some roses few weeks ago using the inner petals in pink flower paste and the outer ones in white, I should have used another lighter shade of pink in between the pink and the white, to get the gradually shading effect... Here is the picture...

Not happy with them as they non wired. icon_sad.gif

Hope you get the idea what I am trying to say.....icon_biggrin.gif

lovely cake bashini. And the square is so neat and beautifully covered. I've covered a small square cake before but not a big one.

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 8:38am
post #4577 of 25877

AMorning all. :-) I so need to learn to make roses! Yours are lovely Siany and Bashini and Cakejeanie! Those cupcakes are fab nanny, I'd like to do a minion cake, I think I'd be able to, trouble is nobody I know wants one. (Don't you hate it when you haven't been on for a bit, missed loads, then when you start commenting on stuff you're terrified you'll miss somebody out?!) The postman arrived yesterday with his 3 legged mule groaning under the weight of my goodies! I wasn't in but somebody was and I arrived home to find my parcels sat on the table waiting for me. They were my Incicta tin and my sugarpaste. Yay! I also ordered another cutter and mould last night, can't wait for it to come, the cake I have for the 19th is going to be full of flowers. Have fun at cake international Kathy!

maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 8:41am
post #4578 of 25877

AP.S I love Alice in wonderland Siany, can't wait to see it. :-)

bashini Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 8:44am
post #4579 of 25877

AThanks Cakejeanie & Maisie. :)

Cakejeanie, it's ganache under sugar paste. Ones you get your ganache smooth, you get a clean finish to the cake. :)

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 8:49am
post #4580 of 25877

AYay Maisie, glad your package arrived! Have fun playing lol :)

Siany, do you mean your roses need to be white with bright red splotches, from the part in the story where they paint the white roses red? You could maybe make a few red petals, to mix in with the white, then half paint some of your white ones before assembly a bit splotchy with red gel colour? Sounds like a fab idea though, look forward to the pictures!

I love making roses, there's a tutorial on YouTube by McGreevy cakes which I love, I'm drawn to this style of rose though!

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3219383/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Fab minions Nanny! I want to make some too, but no requests yet :(

Have fun today Kathy, look forward to seeing all your purchases later ;)

I'm busy making orchids today, bright pink to go on one of my dummies!

maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 8:54am
post #4581 of 25877

ASquare cakes frighten me! I always thought I'd never even attempt one but I've been asked to make a wrestling ring for November, I haven't said yes or no yet (it's my sister asking) but She really wants me to have a go. Yours is beautiful bashini, looks so difficult. It's really lovely.

maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 8:57am
post #4582 of 25877

AThanks Mel, I'll have a look at that tutorial, I really want to have go.

Crazy-Gray Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 9:02am
post #4583 of 25877

AMel I love your rose and it really completes the look of the cake!! I can never get the backs looking good so I daren't use them 'solitaire' like that.... You've inspired me to practice though :-)

I really wish I wasn't in work today, I have a wedding cake for tomorrow morning that's a little behind schedule and it's really distracting me!

Mel37 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 9:07am
post #4584 of 25877

AIt's a really good one Maisie, she's done a few and they are really good.

Thank you Gray! I did love this one, although the kitchen was covered in bronze lustre spray for aaaages afterwards no matter how much I cleaned lol! I usually cover the messy backs up with a single big calyx, just neatens it up a bit :) Good luck with the wedding cake!

maisie73 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 9:35am
post #4585 of 25877

ASorry Mel, I didn't realise you made that! I thought you were just showing us an example of the one you like! Duh! It's beautiful! Don't you just hate when real life gets in the way of cake?! Good luck Gray.

Can I pick your brains please peeps? My sisters 40th is at the end of this month. I have to make two cakes, one to take over to her in the morning and one for her surprise birthday lunch. I'm making a pigs in mud cake for the morning and I want to make a really nice one for the lunch. I'd like to do two tiers but want it to be simple (but pretty). She hates sugarpaste and loves buttercream. Any suggestions? ( not saying I can't use sugarpaste, I can - she'll just peel it off.) There will be about 21 people at the lunch but the more cake left over, the better! I want to do two tiers for practice because I haven't done many.

naturalcolor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naturalcolor Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 9:38am
post #4586 of 25877

Nice ideas. We are a natural color supplier. We can provide many kinds of natural food colors which are dedicated for bakery.

Crazy-Gray Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:16am
post #4587 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisie73 

Sorry Mel, I didn't realise you made that! I thought you were just showing us an example of the one you like! Duh! It's beautiful!
Don't you just hate when real life gets in the way of cake?! Good luck Gray.

Can I pick your brains please peeps?
My sisters 40th is at the end of this month. I have to make two cakes, one to take over to her in the morning and one for her surprise birthday lunch. I'm making a pigs in mud cake for the morning and I want to make a really nice one for the lunch. I'd like to do two tiers but want it to be simple (but pretty). She hates sugarpaste and loves buttercream. Any suggestions? ( not saying I can't use sugarpaste, I can - she'll just peel it off.)
There will be about 21 people at the lunch but the more cake left over, the better! I want to do two tiers for practice because I haven't done many.

Good morning Maisie,

(if this post is half finished the boss has phoned me for a meeting lol)

Have you done a double barrel? I love them, it's good practice for three tiers but looks like two tiers, you could stack two 6s and a 4 or try two 8s and a 6 tho that's a lot of cake lol :-)

With that kind of arrangement I love the plain buttercream/ganache finish with a thin ribbon at the base of each and a single big flower beside the little tier....

uh-oh gotta go!! ha ha

bashini Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:30am
post #4588 of 25877

AThanks Maisie. But that not my good roses. :-)

I would go for an 8" & 6" round and use butter cream or ganache. You can get it really smooth or have you seen cakes with pallet knife marks? I think vertically? And a big rose or two on the side?

Siany01 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:34am
post #4589 of 25877

Quote:

Nice rose! Did you have to use a lot of dust to get that colour? Which parts do you want to leave white?

this is a pic of the roses i was talking about. Bit grainy because I just zoomed in on a photo. forgot to take close ups of the roses.

i brushed pink dust inside and some on the outer parts of the petals. I need to start practicing other flowers now! Just need to decide which ones to start with first.

They are very pretty.  But not quite what I mean.

To get the red I think it was about 3 coats, so coat, steam, dry and then repeat.

They need to look like they have been part painted red, as in the Alice in Wonderland story the guards paint the white roses red because they planted the wrong colour and the queen will be mad.

Mel37 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:34am
post #4590 of 25877

Oooh I second Bashini's idea, I love that textured look with ganache covered cakes, really pretty! Plus an excuse to have a go at some roses Maisie ;)

You could still do a deeper cake for that too as Gray suggested, maybe the bottom tier to emphasise the texture? 

LOL darnit, this is making me want to try that now! :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%