Cake Stencils

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm by beck30

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 11

I want to try to do some stencils on cakes. When I watched the tutorial, it looks so easy (too easy!) Does anyone have some tips? I see that the stencils on line are on the expensive side. Do you think I could try some of the ones that are sold at the craft stores, like Michaels? They are much cheaper. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

10 replies
lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 11

I've used both stencils meant for cakes and the ones sold at Michaels. I thought it was pretty easy, especially on the top of the cake. Holding a smaller stencil on the side was a bit trickier.

Hope this helps.

Lara

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 11

I have also bought stencils that go on the wall, in the embroidery isles, sewing stencils. Just about any stencil will do, Mine are all the plastics and have not had a problem using any of them. I have bought some for as little as 50 cents a piece. The long ones for the walls are great because most of them go all the way around a cake and are the perfect height. Just giving you some ideas. they don't always have to come from the" cake world".

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks, that's what I thought! Can't wait to try it. I'm not that great at piping and thought this would be much nicer looking.

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 11

That's a great idea, I wonder if they might have them in damask that would fit the perfect height of the cake.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 11

I just stenciled a cake for the first time (hat box on top of suitcase in my pic posts) and I got a cheap 3.50 stencil from Michaels. It worked really well and was pretty easy. I did see some damask stencils but they were too tall for my 4 in high cake (they looked 5 inches tall), but Im sure they have shorter ones elsewhere.

dcabrera Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:16am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingatthebeach

I just stenciled a cake for the first time (hat box on top of suitcase in my pic posts) and I got a cheap 3.50 stencil from Michaels. It worked really well and was pretty easy. I did see some damask stencils but they were too tall for my 4 in high cake (they looked 5 inches tall), but Im sure they have shorter ones elsewhere.

Great job on the suit case. I would have never known it was your first time. I have continue to look for my damask stencil. All the damask cake stencils are way too expensive. My search goes on......

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:20am
post #8 of 11

Do you use Royal icing, or just buttercream? I've been wanting to try this, and have not had the opportunity...

dcabrera Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:19am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbennett_8

Do you use Royal icing, or just buttercream? I've been wanting to try this, and have not had the opportunity...

I've heard of people using BC on partially frozen cakes. I would use royal icing because I just get nervous like that.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 11

I used buttercream when I did mine. There were a couple of spots that the icing got out of the stencil and it looked smudged but I think it was more operator error!

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 11

This is a really good idea I think I will try this!! Thank you you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%