Where Do You Buy Your Fondant Tools/stamps?

Decorating By Heavenlydelights107 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm by Heavenlydelights107

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 14

I am fairly new to fondant and have almost no tools at all. I have afew cakes coming up that I need to make with fondant accents, butterflies etc.

Where do you get your stuff? I was going to try Michaels and Joanns, but I was not sure what they had as far as fondant stuff.

Thanks!

13 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 14

I just started with fondant myself, and I have gotten quite a few things from those same stores. But don't limit yourself to the cake isle! Someone on this site found cute impression letter sets on the stone paver isle. I just found the cutest plastic mold set that was made for plaster of paris (they had some butterflies in there too!) Just wander around for awhile and keep your mind open. You will find tons of stuff.

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 14

Go to the clay and scrapbook section. Anything used for clay can be used for fondant and I use the clear stamps (scrapbook) also.
LL
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 14

........don't limit yourself to the cake isle! Just wander around for awhile and keep your mind open. You will find tons of stuff..........

Yeah! You will drop many $$ icon_smile.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 14

I have a degree in ceramics and sculpture. I find the type same tools valuable for fondant. I buythem in the ceramic supply catalogs and in the art and hobby stores where sculture equipment is sold.

I only use new tools for my baking, most ceramic chemicals are somewhat toxic in their raw form.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 14

Wilton fondant, here, is cheap at Walmart. I use it for modeling figures, or things that won't be eaten....it tastes......nasty! I get Satin Ice from Into The Oven, (online)...and my my tools anywhere I can find them. Like Kakeladi said "don't limit yourself to the cake isle" you would be surprised what you can find in your own kitchen.....

rolling pins...buy wooden dowels 1 1/2" or 2" and cut your own. I teach a class of kids and they work just fine, and I have a small one I keep in my fondant tool box. I sand and wash well. great for starting out, you can always up grade if you want later.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 14

chikie,
That shamrock cookie is so pretty ! Did you paint luster dust in the details? Thanks for posting it!

bkkimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkkimberly Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 14

Remember to use your 40% off coupon, if you have a hobby lobby near by, they have a 40% off all wilton coupon, no limit.....icon_smile.gif have fun

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 14

You can also make molds of just about anything using gumpaste.
I find ornate trim in the wood department at JoAnns, dust generously in cornstarch, press a ball of gumpaste over it, pop it int he freezer to harden it faster and gently remove the object. Voila! A custom mold.

To use the mold, the process is the same: Dust generously with cornstarch (but be sure not to clog finer grooves), press in your fondant, freeze, remove fondant.

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKristy

chikie,
That shamrock cookie is so pretty ! Did you paint luster dust in the details? Thanks for posting it!

Thanks, yes I did icon_smile.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 14

I agree with everyone, but just be sure if you get tools that are not meant for fondant they are food safe. For example, the metal clay extractors are NOT ok to use on fondant (the metal rusts, they have grease in the joints, etc.), but the plastic ones are great and dishwasher safe.

Bec

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikie

Go to the clay and scrapbook section. Anything used for clay can be used for fondant and I use the clear stamps (scrapbook) also.

chikie-I bought some of those stamps like what you show in the pic there...but I had such a hard time getting them to work on fondant....how do you do it? Also....love that cake!

sully149 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sully149 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 14

I got me a playdoh fun factory set to practice with I have not used it yet I'm going to try it out this weekend

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm
post #14 of 14

Duh! I did not even think about playdoh! I work for the company who makes it!!!! So I have access to an employee store! Nice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%