How Do You......

Sugar Work By nefcook21 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm by DNBunny

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:58am
post #1 of 6

keep the chocolate from "pooling" around the bottom of a cake ball? Mine always "pools" after I put it on the foil or wax paer to dry and I have to trim them. Is there some sort of malod or something you set them on? Anyone have any ideas?

TIA!

5 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:40am
post #2 of 6

You could let them set on a cooling rack, with a wax paper covered cookie sheet under it to catch the drippings.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 6

I took a candy making class and the instructor would put her chocolates on the wax paper and then pick them up and move them to a clean spot so it left the pool of chocolate all in one spot and when she put them back down in a clean spot there wouldn't be hardly any pooling. I tried it with some pretzels and it worked great. You have to use some extra waxed paper, but it was well worth it not to have to trim everything.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 6

I do the same as cupcake900. Transfer the candy out of the pool (or 'footprint'). You can also try chilling your tray so the chocolate sets up immediately rather than pooling.

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all so much. I will definately try these tricks. In the past when I have set them on a cooling rack the chocolate drips through and the whole candy sticks to the wires of the cooling rack. Does that make sense? anyway I will try the chilling, and the moving out of the pool.

Thanks again!! icon_smile.gif

DNBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DNBunny Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 6

Hi nefcook21, just so you know, that chocolate pool for dipped chocolates is officially called the "foot" among chocolate makers. A lot of chocolate makers use the "place and then move" method that cupcake and Diane described.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%