Help! Buttercream Is Yellowish, Not White!

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm by ClassyMommy

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 15

I need my Buttercream to be white, but it's coming out kinda creamy yellow. I assume this is becasue I am using butter. What do I do????

14 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 15

use shortening?

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

use shortening?

I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #4 of 15

You can use all shortening or you can use the White White Icing Color by Wilton.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:28am
post #5 of 15

I've heard that you can add a tiny touch of lavendar color to the icing and it will whiten it.

Karema

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:29am
post #6 of 15

are you adding vanilla?

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:30am
post #7 of 15

Use just a toothpick tip of purple food coloring and it will cancel out the white.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:33am
post #8 of 15

Like Karema said, add a dot or 2 of violet gel/paste color. Based on color theory, the violet will cancel out the yellow and you get a nice white buttercream.

I do this all the time with all butter and real vanilla buttercreams, as well as half butter/half shortening. Works like a charm.

Now, I've never "overdone" the violet, but my suspicion is that if you did, adding a tiny bit of yellow should bring it back to white. In order to have to find out if I'm right, just add the violet one dot at a time.

HTH
Rae

snowcone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowcone Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 15

To get white butter cream frosting I always use clear everything. I use almond flavoring in my frosting (which is clear anyway), but Wilton does make clear vanilla and clear butter flavoring to get the butter taste. HTH

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:44pm
post #10 of 15

You can use the clear flavors as pp said, but to me the taste is artificial. I ad the lavender as suggested or bright white by Wilton-both work. JMO

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 15

I also use all butter and I've used lavender before but it gives you a dirty white. Wilton's white white works quite well.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcakelady

I also use all butter and I've used lavender before but it gives you a dirty white. Wilton's white white works quite well.

If you're getting a "dirty white", you're using a bit too much violet. It's imperative that it's added a dot at a time until you achieve the desired result.

Rae

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 15

I do use a dot at a time and it works in a pinch, but you can't compare that "white" to the white you get by using White White.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 15

White margarine

Generally found at cake decorating stores or Gordon Food Service stores.

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm
post #15 of 15

You can use Witon's white (which is basically a bleach for frosting!). I bought it at JoAnn's. Also, maybe make another batch using all shortening instead of butter and make sure that you are using clear vanilla or almond!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%