Pls Help! Fondant Cakes?

Decorating By Neelas_wife Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 3:56am by Creative_chika

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 8

Hello all:

I am now doing my course 3 and trying hard to bake a nice cake(no boxes from scratch) and decorate with fondant. For some reason I end in a mes everytime. The cake and the fondant dont seem to go well at all. Have tried and tried and now I am desperate for help!
Can anyone pls let me know a good receipe that goes well with a fondant decoration.
Thank you....

N's wifeicon_smile.gif

7 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 8

Most any cake should be able to covered in fondant. What type are you using? I use WASC a lot but it is a box-scratch combo. I also have a pound cake that I use a lot and the Hersheys chocolate cake.

When you say it isn't working well together...what do you mean? What is happening?

Neelas_wife Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry, I meant the taste....Somehow it tastes like the cake and the fondant dont go well at all. On the other hand when I ice the cake with buttercream it is so delicious.....

I tried the std. Yellow cake receipe; also tried a mosit receipe using a box but the taste of the cake combined with the fondant is not great.

In other words the cake by itself is really yummy and the fondant by itself is really yummy too....I am using a marshmellow fondant.....

patticakesnc Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 8

What flavoring are you using in the mmf? I am assuming you are using vanilla in the cake.

I have used the Hersheys chocolate cake recipe, did a buttercream with a hit of almond extract and used the almond in my mmf as well and it was amazing!

Neelas_wife Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 8

vanilla.....I am new to baking itself. Although in course 3 - Ive always stuck to a few recipes....

So if I use a choclate cake receipe with marzipan fondant it tastes better?

patticakesnc Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 8

Not marzipan. Marshmallow fondant. MMF. When I make it I normally add vanilla but for my chocolate cakes I add a little almond extract.

Neelas_wife Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 8

ok....Will try it out....Thanks a lot

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #8 of 8

I'm also new to baking, and I'm actually taking the 2nd course. I think you should try the WASC recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%