Upcoming Throwdowns?

Decorating By Daisys_Cakes Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 10:38am by bashini

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 25

Hey!

Does anyone know if there are any throwndowns planned for April or May (I assume it is too late for March)? I might be interested in participating in one, but it depends on who else is interested, I don't want to be challenged by someone way out of my league.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

24 replies
Daisys_Cakes Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 25

Would anyone be interested in challenging me?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 25

I've been holding off askingicon_smile.gif
I would be interested in doing something different........
a 3-D fondant/gumpaste creation that is at least 6" in any direction OR a greeting card that is at least 5x7.

Daisys_Cakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:40am
post #4 of 25

Hmmm...I have never really done any figures other than a few small animals, I am not sure I would create anything TD worthy. I open for other suggestions though.

Daisys_Cakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 25

The greeting card is an interesting thought though, no cake involved which is nice. Did you have any more specifications in mind, like would it be post card style or would it open?

kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:40am
post #6 of 25

Oh it must be openicon_smile.gif Any style, size as long as it is at least 5x7icon_smile.gif

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 25

Hey there,
are you talking about gumpaste or MMF greeting cards, or the paper ones....sorry I am confused icon_redface.gif

And what about the animals or so? There is now baby shower cake contest here, so what about do 3D baby shower figures challenge or something like that? I am not very experienced too...but I would love to try.

kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #8 of 25

This is something completely different from the contest you are talking abouticon_smile.gif
This would be a contest between daisy & myself - just the two of us. The card can be MMF; fondant; &/or gumpaste.

Lidunka25 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:28am
post #9 of 25

Yes yes, I understood good. U are making up challenge. U got Idea for the cards but U mentioned the small animals, which gave me the idea of doing it by the same them as the contest which is going on here on CC .....so if u girls will decide do small animals in baby theme or something like that, I meant I would LOVE to participate icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif I know its price free and its just for fun and it have nothing to do with contest on CC icon_cool.gif

Daisys_Cakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 25

Hey, if you two are interested in competing with each other, I would love to be the hostess (Lidunka25, you seem more into the idea than I am). What month would you two be interested in.

I am still game for an actual cake project though, anyone else?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 25

Wow! I'd love to do one! But I'm not as good as you Daisy1993! icon_biggrin.gif

Daisys_Cakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

I don't know about that! Those calla lilies and orchids were amazing! icon_surprised.gif

I would love to compete with you, we both the same simplistic style. What sort of themes would you be interested in? I really love working with gumpaste flowers, so I would be interested in that. Maybe an anniversary type cake or something?

Lidunka25 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 25

awww icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I am sucky flower maker...

bashini Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

I don't know about that! Those calla lilies and orchids were amazing! icon_surprised.gif

I would love to compete with you, we both the same simplistic style. What sort of themes would you be interested in? I really love working with gumpaste flowers, so I would be interested in that. Maybe an anniversary type cake or something?

Thanks for the comments about the flowers! icon_smile.gif

Yeah, we can do an Annivesary type of cake. I don't mind anything, really. icon_smile.gif

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:26pm
post #15 of 25

So exciting that you are planning a throwdown!!!! If anyone needs a host, I would love to host thumbs_up.gif I have a throwdown coming up so I can't compete in another.

(hope you don't mind) Here are the rules just in case someone hasn't seen them yet.

RULES:
1. Any member may challenge another CC member to a TD. The TD will all begin and end on the specified dates so all pictures of completed cakes can be uploaded for judging at the same time. This will make it easy for all CC members to judge each TD photo, and, all winners can be announced at the same time.

2. Throw Downs will begin on the first day of every month. Photos are due to your designated poster the third Saturday of the month. which gives one week for voting unless it is a five week month then it will be the fourth Saturday of the month. You will have until 3:00 PM CST on that date to get your pictures sent to the designated picture poster of your particular TD. (Exception: unless other arrangements have been made by your designated poster.)

3. You may submit up to three photos for judging and photos must be consistent between both contestants. Perhaps, front shot, top angle shot and a close-up. Photos must be pre-sized for message boards at 640 X 480.

4. A description should be included with your photos.

5. Fondant, Gumpaste, Sugarpaste and/or Buttercream can be used, you pick your mediums to decorate your cake. TD challengers may use any decorating medium combinations they wish as long as it is edible, (no fresh flowers, cold porcelain, plastic or toys of any kind).

6. Loser is the poster of the new throwdowns. This means the loser of a TD will upload pictures for the subsequent judging.

7. Straight sheet cakes are not allowed with the exception to be used for sculpting cake designs and must be sculpted.

8. Throwdowners should be as equal in decorating skills as possible. If you are a TD winner please try to be fair and choose a member with "equal to or greater than" decorating skills you possess.

9. With the exception of sculpted cakes, dummies are allowed. 3-D sculptures may only use Styrofoam where absolutely necessary.

10. Competitors may use wires, straws, and dowels for supports. These supports should be hidden in the cake and not visible by viewing the cake.

11. Wires used for sprays, flowers, leaves, etcetera, but must not be inserted directly into the cake/dummy.

12. The two TD Challengers will choose the theme of cake to be designed.

13. Any non-winning CC member may only participate in a throwdown one time in a 12 month period. Only the current winner of a throwdown will continue on. Once this winner loses he/she must wait 12 months before participating in another TD.

14. Everything on the cake, including the cake, has to be crafted and decorated entirely by the CC member without help from anyone else (i.e. no store bought pearls only hand crafted.) Exceptions; throwdowners may have help with the cutting of cake boards or structural support.

15. Only two members may compete in any particular throwdown, however, many Throw Downs may happen at one time. A TD isn't a TD if there are more than two competing against each other.

16. Largest cake board used may not exceed 14".

17. Cakes can be one tier but no more than three tiers and they may be separated or stacked. The size should be determined by the TD competitors prior to the start of the challenge so each cake is judged/voted against a similar sized cake.

18. Participants are not allowed on the actual voting thread during the vote. Exception: participant may concede. The board will open up to throwdowners after the winner has been determined.

19. The designated poster has the right to point out infractions of the above rules on the original voting post.

bashini Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:18am
post #16 of 25

Sugarwishes, thank you for posting the rules. icon_smile.gif Even I have seen it many times, never read it! icon_redface.gif

Daisys_Cakes Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 10:16pm
post #17 of 25

Bashini:

Anniversary/Wedding theme it is!

How many tiers do you want to do, I was thinking two (I have never done three)

Is April ok with you?

Sugarwishes:

I would appreciate you being our host!

If our Throw Down is in April does that mean the cake photos would be due on the 21st?

Quote:
Quote:

Throw Downs will begin on the first day of every month

Does that mean we cannot start preparations before April 1st?

Are there any other specification Bashini and I need to decide on?

Thanks!

bashini Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm
post #18 of 25

Daisy, that's fab! thumbs_up.gif I also was thinking of two tiers. April is ok for me.

I read the rules, but just wanted to make sure that it should be all cake?

Daisys_Cakes Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 25

Yeah, I think you can only use a dummy if the cake is round. Is that right Sugarwishes?

bashini Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:46am
post #20 of 25

You mean if its a ball?

Daisys_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm
post #21 of 25

No, not a ball. Round as in circular shaped instead of square shaped. Basically if the shape cannot be created by a pan or requires carving you can't use a dummy...I think.

bashini Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #22 of 25

Oh! thanks Daisy! Sorry if I sounded a bit dumm! icon_redface.gif

So, we have to get the cake ready by 21st of April then? I'm so excited now! icon_biggrin.gif

Daisys_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:49pm
post #23 of 25

Yep, that's what it sounds like to me, I am just waiting for Sugarwishes confirmation.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:00am
post #24 of 25

Daisy, I just sent you a message. I just saw all the replies to this thread. I haven't been getting any email updates so I'm sorry I didn't answer back sooner!

With the exception of sculpted cakes, you can use a dummy.

I would love to host for you!! The throwdown will be for April 25th, which is the last Saturday of the month. You can email them to me sooner if you'd like, and I will hold onto the photos until the end of the month. Email photos to [email protected] I will post the throwdown as soon as I get both of your photos and it will be up for 7 days to vote thumbs_up.gif

Good Luck to you both!

bashini Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:38am
post #25 of 25

That's fantastic. Thanks Sugarwishes! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%