Business Dilema -Need Help From The Experts

Business By duchess1120 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm by handymama

duchess1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duchess1120 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 11

I have passed the kitchen inspection but am now going to move from my mother's house into an apartment. (not sure of exact place but it will be in the same city where I live now).

I want to have a part-time business and have insurance,license, tax id, trade mark my name...you know be 100% legit.

The dilema is do I get all of that done now knowing I'm going to move in a few months (so I can sell now cause not sure of the exact date and the extra money will help with moving expenses) or do I wait. The problem with waiting is: I may move to an apartment where I won't be allowed to own a business out of my apartment. Also, I'll have to get all paperwork completed again because of the new address. The urgency is there are people wanting me to make cakes and wedding season is coming up and I want to be 100% legit.

I live in NC.

Any advice is welcomed.

PS need a new name for my company suggestions are welcomed for that too.

Thanks

10 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 11

Well, it seems to me that you would have to wait and see where you will be moving. You still won't be legal if you let licensed in one kitchen and then bake out of another.

You will have unhappy brides if you take their deposit now in a licensed kitchen and aren't legal and can't bake their cake in a few months.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 11

If you get approved at your mom's could you still bake there after you move? Maybe she could write some stuff off at tax time and it would be worth it to her? Just a thought--don't know how the law works down there.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 11

Question. How far are you going to be living from your mother? Because I would get the license bake and take orders then when I moved I would work on the new paper work and then transfer everything over. Just an idea.

duchess1120 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 11

We'll probably be 5-10 miles apart (really small town Mayberry almost).

Question: Getting the ok from the health inspectors is that the same as getting licensed? Also , I want to have a LLC although I'm going to be the only employee is an LLC appropriate. (Want the coverage for liability purposes not necessarily for tax breaks.)

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 11

You need to talk to your HD or whoever allows home baking in your state/county because where I am it has to be my residential home, not a relatives. Believe me, I wish I could go mess up my mother's house instead of mine! icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 11

If it will be in the same city, why can't you just bake out of the kitchen where you are now? Talk to your mom & see if that would be ok w/ her. If not, I think the next step would be to see if you can have a business in your apartment. If not, then I don't think I would be taking orders.

dandelion56602 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 11

If it will be in the same city, why can't you just bake out of the kitchen where you are now? Talk to your mom & see if that would be ok w/ her. If not, I think the next step would be to see if you can have a business in your apartment. If not, then I don't think I would be taking orders.

duchess1120 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:12pm
post #9 of 11

I will be working full time and baking in the evenings. I have a five year old and evenings/weekends can be full of her activities that's why I want to bake at home after she's asleep.

dandelion56602 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 11

Sorry for the double post, didn't know it happened. I totally understand about wanting to do it when your kiddies are asleep. Ck out your local laws will be the only real answer.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, an LLC is appropriate. You are not your own employee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%