How Do I Torte A 12X18 Without Tearing The Cake???

Decorating By momtofourmonkeys Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm by PinkZiab

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 9

After separating the 2" layer into 2, how do you all lift the top 1" off to fill? I have done 9x11s and 11x15s by using my larger cookie sheet. Just slid the sheet under the top layer, lifted off, and then replaced gently. My cookie sheet (14x15) is too small for a 12x18 cake. How do you all torte and fill larger cakes?

I am working on my brother's groom cake for this weekend.

Thanks for any help.

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 9

Just use it......that cookie sheet will be just fine. It doesn't have to be exact size icon_smile.gif Make sure the cake is well chilled.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 9

I use cake boards with a little powdered sugar sprinkled on it because they are nice and thin and I use the powdered sugar because I'm nervous that it will not want to come back off once I put it on there. Having them well chilled really helps though.

I always keep lots of extra cake boards!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 9

ihave the wilton cookie pan that is 14x20 and only has a lip on one side, this pan is great for seperating large tiers like this, its only available at michaels and its no longer in the wilton yr book section. Or you can cover a couple of same size cake boards to use for this purpose, over and over again.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 9

I would use the 14x15 one you have. A few inches out on either side will not make any difference. I have a flexible chppping board and use that for most of my slabs. I find them easier to insert and just more manageable.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 9

I don't torte. I bake 1/2 and 1/2. Just easier for me. I also partially freeze larger cakes to prevent tearing. I learned THAT lesson the VERY HARD way a couple of years ago.

Good Luck!

Beth in KY

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 9

Most of my cakes are the 12x18 or 2 12x18s for a full sheet.
I have several of the cake boards for the 12x18 cake that I have covered with contact paper I use one to slip between the torted layers to move them. I don't even put powdered sugar or corn starch on them first. Just leave an inch or so of cake sticking off the edge. Put the part sticking out against the board for the bottom layer or lined up with the filled bottom layer for the top layer and work it off the board letting the cake settle on to the board or layer that you're putting it on to as you pull back on you contact covered cake board.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas! They made me think again about what I had that I could use. I went into my supplies and found a 19x14 masonite board that worked perfect! I covered it with parchment paper that was dusted with ps just to make sure no sticking occurred. Worked like a charm!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 9

I don't do sheet cakes, normally, but when I have had to for other jobs I've worked, I simply torte it, use a serrated knife to split the top layer into two pieces for easier handling, and just place them back on after filling and frost normally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%