Square Cake Tin Problems

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 8:20am by majka_ze

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 5

when i use square tins the edges dont rise anywhere near as much as the rest of the cake so i have to level loads off like at least an extra inch. i know its because they are cooking faster than the rest of the cake but is there any way to avoid this? should i turn my oven down so get a better all over rise and then still cut loads off but have a deeper cake or should i put more towels round the edges??

Thanks ! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 5

If your cake bakes well, let the baking process be.
But just before you give the pan in the oven, get rubber scraper and bring more batter from the center to all edges. Don't make deep well in the center but get a little more batter next to the pan. As the cake bakes, the middle will still rise more then the sides. You may end with "dome" still but not as high. It takes some practice and depends on your cake batter.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, I always use flower nails in my cake tins, whether they are round or square. By using these, the cake never dome a lot. And the other thing you can use is bake even strips or damped towel strips. icon_smile.gif

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, I always use flower nails in my cake tins, whether they are round or square. By using these, the cake never dome a lot. And the other thing you can use is bake even strips or damped towel strips. icon_smile.gif

Can you explain how you put the flower nails in the cake tin?

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:20am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjskid

Can you explain how you put the flower nails in the cake tin?

You set the flower nail upside down in the tin.
If you line the tin with baking paper:
Cut the paper to dimensions and punch the nail through the paper. Set the pin in the can as above.
For big cakes, use more nails.

The advantage is that flower nail leaves only small mark in the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%