Has Anyone Tried This Fluffy Whipped Icing?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 12:13am by mellee

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 9

i saw this recipe on the internet and on this site. its one package of instant puding mix, one package of dream whip powder and 1 1/2 cup of milk. then you just whip. i tried it and it tastes so yummy. just wondering has anyone tried it? can i pipe with it?do roses?

8 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 9

No, I haven't tried it but, it sure sounds good and light and and and mmmmmmmm...

jenniferus2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferus2002 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 9

I use this all the time and everyone loves it. I even add oils to it to get custom flavors that i need. I do pipe with it, but have never tried to do roses yet. HTH.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for bringing this topic up! Jenniferus2002, how well does it pipe? How long does it last inside the fridge and outside the fridge? Also, does it get a sort of coating or crusting after a while due to the pudding? Have you ever used it as a cupcake filling? What do you use to color it? Thanks so much for any answers anyone can give! icon_smile.gif

jenniferus2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferus2002 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 9

Well mine pipes just fine and holds form well. It does get a crusty film after setting out for a couple hours, but tastes fine. I keep mine in the fridge for acouple of weeks thats all. I have filled my cupcakes with it also and have gotten good reviews so far. The colors are anything i happen to have the wilton ones for now till i get the americolors. So good luck and hope that helps!

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you so much for this post. I have a grooms cake to do this coming weekend and he has informed the bride (who ordered the cake) that he doesn't like buttercream and wants a whip cream icing. I have never used this to ice cakes before and have been searching for a tried and true recipie. icon_biggrin.gif

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 9

the icing is still in the bowl. i had a look at it and it looks like its gone spongy like, am i meant to have used it staight away?

mellee Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:26am
post #8 of 9

Thank you, Jenniferus2002! I appreciate your response! icon_smile.gif

Aminaz, I'm not sure. What do you mean about spongy-like? How long was the icing sitting in the bowl? Refrigerated or not? I haven't used this particular recipe you've set down here, but I HAVE used the milk/pudding/coolwhip recipe that's floating around the internet, and that's why I was so interested in this one. With the milk/pudding/coolwhip recipe, letting it sit a few hours actually firms it up noticeably further. One thing I know with the recipe I have is that you must be CERTAIN that you use INSTANT pudding and not the cook and serve stuff. They look so much alike and are right next to one another--literally!--in the supermarket.

Let us know what happens. icon_smile.gif

mellee Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:13am
post #9 of 9

OK Aminaz....I couldn't STAND it anymore. I had to make a batch, lol! I used one envelope of Dream Whip, 1.5 cups of whole milk, and a 3.4 oz box of butterscotch instant pudding. I whipped in my KA on high after initial mixing for a couple of minutes. I scraped the bowl down and did it again. I scraped again and whipped again. Total whipping time was probably close to 9-10 minutes.

First, I have to say, it was ever so creamy and delicious! It did NOT make as much as the pudding/milk/cool whip recipe does, but what it did make seemed to be a bit thicker and have more substance to it. Each recipe has its virtue, of course. It was soft and creamy but held a shape well and was VERY shiny. No roses, probably, but piping? Why not? Sure! I'm going to give it some more time and see if it firms up even more because of the instant pudding stabilizers.

This made enough to fill at least 50 cupcakes. To thickly frost a cake, though, I might double the recipe unless it were a very small cake. I wonder how this stuff would hold up to torting? Hmmmm.....

For anyone interested in my milk/pudding/cool whip experiment, please see this link here on cake central: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-620048.html -- I posted a few days worth of results using this recipe. It was kind of neat! I'm kind of a maniac too. icon_biggrin.gif

For anyone who wonders, you know, I LOVE homemade recipes and top-quality ingredients, I really do. There's nothing better! But....there's something to be said for speed and convenience and ease as well. Surely when looking over these recipes, we can come to a common ground? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%