Cheap Bride...this Is Ridiculous...what Would You Have Done?

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 12:03pm by indydebi

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:31am
post #91 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

In another recent thread ~~ Who's bright idea was it for the caterer to serve a variety of desserts including cake??? Hey that should not be allowed. Think I'll start using me some fried chicken drum sticks for pillars.

OMG - ROTFLMAO!!!! Thanks for the giggles k8!!!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #92 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by momade

Ever since then I make sure to stay on the opposite side of the room if there are any kids at the chocolate fountain. LOL

Chocolate fountain or not, I am always on the oppsite side of the rpoom when little kids are about! Blech!

Wow! That's deep.

I was thinking "That's Safe!"

I love little kids, and I know little kids are messy by default. Even the well behaved ones will sometimes forget and cover their mouth with their hand when they sneeze...and then immediately grab a marshmallow and stick it into the chocolate fountain, getting their fingers covered in the process because they think it's fun and a way to get more chocolate to lick. Meanwhile, the rest of the party gets to enjoy chocolate newly flavored with kid spittle and snot icon_lol.gif

As for the OT: I think the response was great! Brusque, but effective. icon_biggrin.gif

Are you a mother?

newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:40am
post #93 of 146
Quote:

I'm not saying this lady is lying about the $100 quote, but can you imagine how horrified people are going to be when they're pulling cat hairs out of their mouths? I can only imagine that this "cake person" is a old widow with, like, 113 cats running around her home licking the buttercream off of her fingers...erp, 'scuse me, gotta vomit real quick, HAY! Stick to your guns girl!

OMG - y'all have me in stitches!! You're all in rare form on this thread tonight!

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:44am
post #94 of 146

champagneibo,
I would of said the exact same thing! Don't feel bad about this situation at all. Where I live people don't pay as high of a price as people do in a city, BUT, even $75 is way under priced! Like you said..."just the ingredients alone would cost that much"! I'm still a newbie and I am thinking of doing a wedding cake this spring and it's serving 100 people. I am thinking of charging $150-$200...no less! The time it takes making all the gumpaste flowers, baking the cake, leveling, making the fondant and/or buttercream, decorating the cake...I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things but you all get what I'm saying. You should make at least 100% profit! Am I wrong?

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #95 of 146

I have sent the same type of e-mail a few times. I usually tell them they are lucky to have found someone to provide them with their cake for $xxx and they should go with it. If for any reason they are not happy and would like to re-consider, they can always call me back.

newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:51am
post #96 of 146

What I'd like to know is when did the florists start throwing the cake decorators under the bus?

I had a bride-to-be call me today about her wedding cake and while we were discussing it, she mentioned that the florist told her if she wanted to save money she could ask for some of her tiers to be styrofoam and just have some plain sheet cakes in the back kitchen to be cut up for the guests. She wanted to know what the price difference would be for the styrofoam cakes. I told her they're the same price as REAL cake becuase it takes just as long to decorate those as it does a real cake...sometimes longer if the fondant or buttercream doesn't stay on! She said, "Oh...ok."

So I promptly suggested if she wants to save money on her cake perhaps she might consider using silk flowers instead of fresh (organic) ones and she said, "Oh my gosh I hadn't even thought of that."

Paybacks are hell, aren't they Mr. Florist???!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:54am
post #97 of 146

that was so funny newsmom!
that made me giggle.

melody

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:55am
post #98 of 146
Quote:

I think the bride was trying to get a response along the lines of:

"Dear Ms. Pinchapenny (soon to be Mrs. Cheapster Cheaperson),

I am so desperate for your business because you're the only person in Michigan that has ever wanted a wedding cake, that I am begging you to allow me to take food out of my children's mouth so you can have the best, cheapest wedding ever! I know that story about the $100 cake quote is a crock, but I'm a moron, so I'm going to believe you and do it for $20! On second thought, let me pay you for allowing me to make your wedding cake (fantastic idea, I know!).

I think it will look absolutely stunningly (horrendous) next to the chocolate fountain! I can just see the chocolate being slung all over the cake that I slaved for hours on only to have you and your husband forget to eat it because you were too busy doing keg-stands with your college buddies! I'm sure you'll pass my name on to all of your cheap friends and family who, although they probably make six figure salaries, will pretend to be dead broke just to get a cheap cake while I struggle to pay my bills!

Thanks so much for having no shame. I look forward to being screwed over by you soon!"

I really wish I could actually send this out icon_wink.gif

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #99 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

What I'd like know is when did the florists start throwing the cake decorators under the bus?

she mentioned that the florist told her if she wanted to save money she could ask for some of her tiers to be styrofoam and just have some plain sheet cakes in the back kitchen to be cut up for the guests. She wanted to know what the price difference would be for the styrofoam cakes.

So I promptly suggested if she wants to save money on her cake perhaps she might consider using silk flowers instead of fresh (organic) ones and she said, "Oh my gosh I hadn't even thought of that."

HAHAHA! That was the smartest and funniest answer I ever heard!
That's awesome!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:50am
post #100 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

I love little kids, and I know little kids are messy by default. Even the well behaved ones will sometimes forget and cover their mouth with their hand when they sneeze...and then immediately grab a marshmallow and stick it into the chocolate fountain, getting their fingers covered in the process because they think it's fun and a way to get more chocolate to lick. Meanwhile, the rest of the party gets to enjoy chocolate newly flavored with kid spittle and snot icon_lol.gif

This is exactly why my chocolate fountain price INCLUDES a staff member to stand by the table AT ALL TIMES to assist people with the fountain. Sometimes it's amazing to me that people can't figure out how to dip a strawberry on a stick into chocolate! icon_confused.gif

P.S. My WORST chocolate fountain episode was when I was forced to put it on an outside deck (last minute change). There was a breeze so slight, you could barely feel it, but omg, it blew that flowing chocolate all over the place! What a mess on the table! I had my staffer warning people not to stand too close and to warn them the choc might blow onto their clothes. This situation is now on my list of "deal breakers" for booking a choc fountain.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #101 of 146
Quote:

What I'd like to know is when did the florists start throwing the cake decorators under the bus?

I had a bride-to-be call me today about her wedding cake and while we were discussing it, she mentioned that the florist told her if she wanted to save money she could ask for some of her tiers to be styrofoam and just have some plain sheet cakes in the back kitchen to be cut up for the guests. She wanted to know what the price difference would be for the styrofoam cakes. I told her they're the same price as REAL cake becuase it takes just as long to decorate those as it does a real cake...sometimes longer if the fondant or buttercream doesn't stay on! She said, "Oh...ok."

OMG I LOL'd at this

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:05am
post #102 of 146

Speaking of horning in on cake decorators... I read today that some reception halls/hotels now include a decorated cake? WHAT??? Is this where a hall has a specific decorator working with them, or are these businesses now making wedding cakes?
This kind of depressed me... icon_sad.gif Does this concern anyone?

indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:13am
post #103 of 146

k2, no that does not concern me if a major hotel hires a pastry chef to create wedding cakes for their guests and clients. It's rare to find a caterer who also makes wedding cakes (like me! icon_biggrin.gif ) but if a caterer (hotel kitchen) chooses to add that to their menus, they are just expanding their market, like all of us would like to do.

If a hotel works with outside bakers, then it's our opportunity to approach them to get on their list of cakers.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:27am
post #104 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

k2, no that does not concern me if a major hotel hires a pastry chef to create wedding cakes for their guests and clients. It's rare to find a caterer who also makes wedding cakes (like me! icon_biggrin.gif ) but if a caterer (hotel kitchen) chooses to add that to their menus, they are just expanding their market, like all of us would like to do.

If a hotel works with outside bakers, then it's our opportunity to approach them to get on their list of cakers.

That makes sense... thanks for explaining. icon_smile.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:29am
post #105 of 146
Quote:

OMG ... LOL ... icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:43am
post #106 of 146
Quote:
Quote:

This is exactly why my chocolate fountain price INCLUDES a staff member to stand by the table AT ALL TIMES to assist people with the fountain. Sometimes it's amazing to me that people can't figure out how to dip a strawberry on a stick into chocolate! icon_confused.gif

Oh, haha, this is so sadly true! I've seen adults get messier than the kids! I've been to only one event with a chocolate fountain and the lady next to me asked how to use it. icon_confused.gif All I could say is "what do you mean? Dip it, put it on your plate, walk away" icon_rolleyes.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:46am
post #107 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzygirl

I had a bride-to-be call me today about her wedding cake and while we

icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif Please imagine Borat saying "High Five!" here. icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:48am
post #108 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson

Oh, haha, this is so sadly true! I've seen adults get messier than the kids! I've been to only one event with a chocolate fountain and the lady next to me asked how to use it. icon_confused.gif All I could say is "what do you mean? Dip it, put it on your plate, walk away" icon_rolleyes.gif

Little old ladies are the worst! icon_lol.gif They hold the berry with their fingers and put their fingers in the flowing choc up to the first knuckle. Or they use the skewer, dip the berry, remove the berry from the stick, and then try to hand me that stick back. I tell them, "no, you can keep it or throw it away ... I can't really re-use those." icon_rolleyes.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:58am
post #109 of 146

what an excellent evening, gentle breeze, good glass of whi, water, and the most hilarious tales of cakes. Thanks for a great evening!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:00am
post #110 of 146
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson

Little old ladies are the worst! icon_lol.gif They hold the berry with their fingers and put their fingers in the flowing choc up to the first knuckle. Or they use the skewer, dip the berry, remove the berry from the stick, and then try to hand me that stick back. I tell them, "no, you can keep it or throw it away ... I can't really re-use those." icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, those little old ladies wouldn't want to waste a perfectly good stick!
They are probably thinking...kids these days, with their fancy chocolate thingy are so wasteful! Now I miss my Granny!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #111 of 146

Bet if you asked her to show you what's in her purse at the end of the night she'd have all her little sticks and a few rolls and a mint...on second thought, she probably just reused her orignal stick...

newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:12pm
post #112 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzygirl

I had a bride-to-be call me today about her wedding cake and while we

icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif Please imagine Borat saying "High Five!" here. icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

LOL - too funny! But every time I imagine Borat he's wearing that all-too-revealing swimsuit with the thong in the back! Eee gads!!!! icon_surprised.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:30am
post #113 of 146
Quote:

I had a groom ask me about that just today ... "you always have a lot of cake left over because people don't eat it." I said, "No .... you have a lot of cake leftover because the couple follows the magz's advice and they cut it too late in the evening. It's not that "nobody eats it"..... it's because nobody is still THERE to eat it!"

I gotta tell ya, where I grew up, and now where I live, we do a "midnight" buffet. Actually, closer to 10:30 or 11, and we cut the cake then. we serve the cake and a few little finger foods, and people actually stick around for it. BUT if you serve it after 11:15, you might not have anyone there!!! If you don't do this in the States, you should start a new trend!!! It's AWESOME!!!!

jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:53am
post #114 of 146

another stunt the florist is doing - save $$$ on the cake. I can do the flowers fresh and they won't charge so much for the cake. Just get a plain iced cake and I will do the flowers on it to match everything. You will save big. Bride recently bought into this. She saved $75 on the cake and did it in bc instead of fondant done cookie cutter but pretty. She spent $185 for additional flowers. She was mad at us for not saving her money, the florist said it would be cheaper. Yah, the cake was cheaper but you paid for it and then some in more flowers! It is almost as bad as doing cake centerpieces instead of flowers. That sounds like something a baker started after the florist took business away and tempers got the best of them. Who exactly is supposed to cut each table cake anyway? What in the world do you do with all those flowers stuck in the cake?

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:29pm
post #115 of 146

GUESS WHAT GUYS...SHE ANSWERED...Here is her response:

hey sarah--I am still thinking I might get a real cake instead of the choc. fountain....I will have a def. answer for you tomrrow and let you know. Please let me know if you still have june 13th open.

That was it, I haven't wrote anything back...I was kinda wondering what you all would say. Anyone up for it????

Thanks guys,
Sarah

newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #116 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagneibo

GUESS WHAT GUYS...SHE ANSWERED...Here is her response:

hey sarah--I am still thinking I might get a real cake instead of the choc. fountain....I will have a def. answer for you tomrrow and let you know. Please let me know if you still have june 13th open.

That was it, I haven't wrote anything back...I was kinda wondering what you all would say. Anyone up for it????

Thanks guys,
Sarah

I'd tell her you're happy to do the cake and that you'll get a contract out to her (with a deposit required to hold the date) but remind her that your price of $3.50 per slice is the same regardless of whether they want 200 or 100 slices. That's a 'per slice' price; not a 'per the size of your cake' price. You still have to make that cake, the gumpaste flowers, stack it, use all the equipment, etc. Sometimes they don't get it. They think it's only $3.50 per slice for a big cake and $.50 for a small one even if the decorations are the same.

jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:35pm
post #117 of 146

Sure, I make real cakes. June 13 is booked however, sorry, snooze or loose. Good luck. I don't know what I would REALLY say.

Thank you for remembering I do real cakes. June 13 is still open but the day is almost fully booked. I only take a limited amount of cakes to insure quality perfection I demand of my cakes. I know you only want the highest quality and therefore understand why I only book limited cakes each week. The cake you have selected to serve # people is $XXX.XX. A deposit needs to be in by (date) and final payment received by (date) to reserve the date and delivery of your cake. The deposit is non - refundable.

Sincerely,
A Better Cake Decorator than you Deserve (OK, just your Name)

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm
post #118 of 146

I don't know about where she lives..but a few companies I called here in Miami the chocolate fountain rentals are no less than $300.00 and that does not even include the dippers (strawberries, marshmallows etc).

jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:57pm
post #119 of 146

I still don't get the per slice charge. Sorry, I am a bit stubborn. I see the cake, know that it will seve x people and then look at the decorations and see that the cake is worth $$$ for me to make. That is my price. I guess I start with the price per serving and know how much each cake serves and then think of the the extras, fondant, fondant accents, gumpaste items, figures or flowers, then go for it. I don't have a business YET and could use a system that works

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm
post #120 of 146

you might have to up date this a bit, but here is my pricing sheet. I know exactly what it COSTS to make a cake. From there you have to decide what YOUR time and effort are.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%