Anyone Experiencing Thyroid Problems??

Lounge By tana Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 7:20am by cakesbyjess

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 10

Hello...

I haven't seen a thread to talk about thyroid problems. I was dx w/ Hypothyroids in 10/2007. The biggest symptom that I have is hair loss and hair thinning. Is there anyone having that to? Does anyone know of something out there that can help with that symptom? I've heard alot of NIOXIN working wonders with thyroid patients. Hopefully I can be that lucky. Well if anyone wants to talk about this and give each other advice, that'll be cool.

I am allready taking EPO, Biotin, Omega 3,6,9, and garlic in my shampoo. Don't laugh but that garlic did kinda help and minimize the hairloss. I've only been on it for 4 days. Your hair does not smell like gralic.lol. but it does help.

Thanks and have a great day!

9 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 10

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Tyroiditis years ago. It's more than just hypothyroidism, because my immune system does not recognize my thyroid as my own, and attacks it on a regular basis.

Synthroid does not help, whether it be brand name or generic.

And yes, since I quit smoking (which stimulates thyroid production) I have gained weight and lost hair. It was really bad after the Rheumatoid Arthritis hit - I even lost the hair on my arms, armpits, and legs.

Just recently the loss has slowed down, but not enough to satisfy me. I used to have a head of hair that was so thick I could not tie it up in one of those polytail holders - you know, the ones with the plastic balls on the ends and the rubberband in the middle? Now, I'm happy when I can keep it all in a butterfly comb for the day.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 10

So sorry to hear you're going through this! I had a bout of thyroiditis in college, but it went away after a few months. I've had my levels checked regularly ever since then, but fortunately they have been fine. My aunt had Grave's disease and had to have her thyroid radiated. She has to take a replacement hormone every day for the rest of her life.

I will keep both of you in my prayers.

- Promise

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 10

I have a low thyroid. I'm 5 foot 2 inches tall and weigh 108 pounds. I'm one of the few people who have a low thyroid that are thin.
My hair was thinning (I have thick curly hair thank goodness), I have dry skin, I'm very tired almost always and I have to work out 2x as hard as the average person to get the same results.
It stinks. I'm having a hard time regulating it actually. I'm on thyroid medicine, B-5, calcium, iron and magnesium.

Can you tell I'm sick of the whole thyroid issue icon_wink.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #5 of 10

I'm on thyroid meds too. Synthroid did NOTHING for me, but natural thyroid meds let me feel normal. I take Armour Thyroid. Before I started it, I was exhausted, my joints hurt, my hair thinned and my skin was so dry! I even lost part of my eyebrows! Once I started on it, all those symptoms went away.

Jodie

mkolmar Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:08am
post #6 of 10

I'm on the same med. as Jodie, armour thyroid.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #7 of 10

What dosage are you on? They had to up me to 3 grains, or 180 milligrams for total symptom relief. I've been on that dosage for years.

Jodie

mkolmar Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:27am
post #8 of 10

I'm on 90 right now and it's not working. I have to go in soon for another complete blood work set in the next 2 months.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:33am
post #9 of 10

Diagnosed last year! I'm on a combo of Synthroid and T3. My doctor's office called today and I'm thinking he'll switch me to Armour soon. It was out of production for such a long time.

If you still have symptoms and you're just on Synthroid, ask your doctor about Armour. If the doctor doesn't listen, maybe find a new one.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:20am
post #10 of 10

Thyroid problems are such a bummer! I discovered a lump in my neck last October, and was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in November. I have had two neck surgeries since then (one to completely remove my thyroid and some malignant lymph nodes, and the other to remove more malignant lymph nodes). I am getting ready to do radiation treatments in about 6 weeks to hopefully get rid of the cancer for good. Like most of you, I am also on synthroid (and calcium, because my parathyroids were permanently damaged during the surgeries) for the rest of my life. I, too, used to have very thick hair, and now it has thinned quite a bit and seems more brittle. I also have much drier skin than I used to. It's amazing how much impact a tiny gland can have on our bodies!! Healthy wishes to everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%