How Do I Make A Thistle Out Of Gum Paste?

Decorating By jensteenson Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 12:03am by Win

jensteenson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensteenson Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:38am
post #1 of 6

I am making a wedding cake for a friend and she is having a traditional Scottish wedding. I told her I would make the cake before I knew I was going to have to make thistles. As a last resort I will just use live ones. But if anyone has any words of wisdom for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5 replies
gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:04am
post #2 of 6

Sorry, no advice to share. I can't think of anything that wouldn't end up so bulky and heavy, but here's a bump for ya!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:14am
post #3 of 6

ive seen some in the flesh - they looked like gumpaste for the green part, snipped into with scissors, kinda like how you can do trees? and fine purple stamens.
so, maybe done with the double ended stamens. and if you take a length of wire, folded in half over the center of the stamens (like how you can do some rose centers). then paint the bottom of them with egg white/ edible glue and push the green gumpaste shape up.
thats how i guess its done - ive yet to try this myself, although i probably will sometime soon.
xx

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 6

oh its not stamens, its thread, lace thread is preferable, but a thin regular thread will do.
xx

jensteenson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensteenson Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you very much. I will have to give that a try. I still have a couple weeks to play around and see what works. I appreciate the advice!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:03am
post #6 of 6

I love, love this book and have taught myself many of this author's flowers.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1853919349/?tag=cakecentral-20

She has a thistle in it and it looks not to be too daunting; although I have not attempted it yet. It is a matter of using small, sharp scissors to cut the points on the base of the flower. Her directions are wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%