Ka 6 Qt Vs. Cuisinart 7 Qt- My Review

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 8:48pm by terrig007

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 10

I've been using a KA 6 Qt for some time now, so that's what I'm used to, but I got the Cuisinart 7 Qt so that I could push it a little and do more in one batch. Today was the first time I used it, here's my review...

The mixer itself is nice, I didn't have any problems with the controls for speed or anything specific like that. The Cuisinart has a dial that you turn instead of the little handle on the KA, and I think it felt a little more stable (the knob on the KA handle always breaks off eventually on my mixers.) I'm used to having the controls on the left side, so it took a while to get used to having everything on the right, but that's a minor difference.

The motor sounded like it wasn't quite as loud as the KA, but I got the feeling that it wasn't mixing as fast either. It could be my imagination, but I felt like the top speed on the Cuisinart wasn't as fast as the top KA speed. That could be because the motor is stronger so it just doesn't sound like it's working as hard, but I think it took longer to make a meringue. I also noticed that it took longer to get everything incorporated than the KA did, the butter would kind of hang out on the top edge of the ingredients and just rotate around the bowl instead of being pulled down. That could have something to do with the shape of the paddle on the Cuisinart?? The bowl on the KA is wider at the top and shorter, and the bowl on the Cuisinart is a lot taller and narrower, so that might have been the reason for that, too.

My main gripe about the Cuisinart is the shape of the bowl...It's so tall it's nearly impossible to scrape the bottom with a normal rubber spatula, so even if I can do more batter at once it might not all get incorporated as well. The handles on it are REALLY annoying. The KA handle is on the side so that you can pick it up with your left hand and scrape the batter out with your right, but the Cuisinart has little handles on the top of the bowl, like a large stockpot does. This made it very awkward to pour the batter out. I kind of had to grab it with my entire left arm and try to pour the batter out, and it was difficult. If they moved the handle to the side it would be a lot better design.

I LOVED the splash guard design on the Cuisinart, though. It fits onto the hub where the paddle attaches, and when you lower the bowl it covers the entire bowl so that nothing can come out. The drawback to that is that the hole to pour things in is pretty small, but I can see that it will make it easier to control the confectioner's sugar cloud that forms when I make icing.

As far as capacity goes, I can see that I can increase the amount of batter I can make now, but I tried to do an Italian meringue in the Cuisinart and did 4x the base recipe. It took forever and was really too much for the 7 Qt bowl. I can do 3x the base recipe in the KA, so I won't be gaining anything in the icing-making area. I can probably make more confectioner's sugar buttercream, but I use 2-pound bags of sugar, so I don't know if I can increase that much. That's my experiment for tomorrow icon_smile.gif

Edited to add:

I did mostly 3x and 4x base recipes today, but I also did 1/2x of one for a small sample cake, and the Cuisinart was fine on the smaller amount. Sometimes I find that the KA doesn't mix smaller amounts as well, but I think that the narrower design on the Cuisinart bowl lets you mix smaller batches slightly better than the KA.

9 replies
twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 10

Thanks Costumeczar, good to know. I have a 5qt and 6 qt KA and I love them both. They get the job done just the way i like it.

Thank again,

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 10

I also have both these mixers and would like to add that my favorite feature on the cuisinart is the auto shut off. I can set the timer and go do something else and I know the mixer will shut off. I don't know if all 7qt Cuisinarts have this feature.

I also like each for different reasons, the KA is best for keeping the air out of the icing (Sugarshack's recipe) and the cuisinart is best for cake batter, larger size works best with my recipe.

I like the tall narrow bowl because I can handle it better that the fatter KA bowl. (I'm short).

If you make bread, the Cuisinart is a jewel!

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 10

I used the KA before and now, I have the Cuisinart 7 qt. and I love it I think that it's better the only problem it's that they don't sell the attachment that I need (pasta roller) icon_cry.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. The Cuisinart is next on my list, so that is very helpful!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 10

I bought the 6qt as I got it super cheap, but debated for a long time about the Cuisinart 7. But $400 for the 6qt and I already have alot of attachements for the KA.

Thank you for that analysis...it good to know.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 10

Cook's Illustrated had a complete review of mixers not too long ago and the KA 6qt was the top rated. The KA Artisan and others didn't fare very well. I have a ProSeries 600 6qt KA and it's the best purchase I've ever made. My best friend gave me an extra bowl, lids, and a paddle attachment for Christmas. Just the right thing!

Also, another friend bought a KA recently and when she got it home it didn't work. She called KA and they mailed her another one, no questions asked! They didn't even ask for the broken one, so now she has 2 of the bowls and attachments. Now that's customer service!!

Liniti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liniti Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 10

I have a KA Pro-Series and when I made my first 11x15 sheet cake a couple of weeks ago, I called customer service to ask if the mixer would be able to mix 2 boxes of cake mix at the same time properly. They assured me it could and in conversation with the nice lady I also mentioned I had just bought a "Side Swipe" blade and was planning on using it too. She very nicely, informed me that KA didn't recommend using any attachment not made by KA for the KA, but she also said "to be sure and not mix as long as the box tells you to or the cake will fail". I thought that was very nice of her to warn me of that (but I already knew it), and based on the KA performance so far, they have a lifetime customer with me.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 10

I made the powdered sugar icing today, and the pouring shield did keep the sugar in the mixer bowl better, but what an ungodly mess when I lifted the beater out of the bowl! The whole pouring shield moves with the head of the mixer, so all of the excess sugar that had stuck to the top of the pouring shield on the inside fell off all over the place. I got smart the second batch and tapped the top of the shield with a knife to knock the excess off up before I lifted the beater out of it, so that helped.

okred--How are you picking the cuisinart bowl up that makes it easier for you? I'm short too, and I just find the handle design better on the Kitchenaid. Also, I did read on the amazon reviews that bread bakers like the cuisinart better, so you're right about that. I think the stronger motor would be a plus when making bread. Next experiment!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by misabel99

I used the KA before and now, I have the Cuisinart 7 qt. and I love it I think that it's better the only problem it's that they don't sell the attachment that I need (pasta roller) icon_cry.gif

I agree 1000% about the lack of pasta roller attachment. I have the 7qt as well but I am thinking about also getting one of those refurbished KA from the outlet store online. I have a 4.5 qt my dh bought me for our first anniversary (almost 8 years ago) and it's about reached it's end. It's been a good little mixer though but it is straining while doing SugarShack's icing (I agree that it's easier in a KA rather than the Cuisinart). I ditched the shield though on it as I was finding it wasn't worth the problems it was causing and I'm much happier with it now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%