Gerber Daisies

Decorating By Wesha Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm by Wesha

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 10

Guys,

Have you ever made Gerber Daisies out of buttercream? If so, can you send some pictures or links. I have a customer that wants them on a cake for tomorrow afternoon. Just wanted to know if any of you had done them in buttercream as royal icing may not be dry in time for pickup.

thanks

Benisha

9 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 10

My take on gerbera daisy - I don't have my pictures, but here is it:
Pipe daisy (petals only). Pipe second row of small daisy petals with smaller tip. Pipe center.
You get the idea here: http://thecakestylist.blogspot.com/2007/10/royal-icing-daisy.html
1st row of petals - steps 1 to 3, make 12 or more petals and stop just of center. Pipe 2nd row of petals - repeat steps 1 to 3, but with smaller tip and smaller petals. Add center - step 4.

Or simpler - instead of 2nd row of petals - pipe center and pipe with smallest tip round of dots around.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 10

The main difference between a gerbera daisy and a regular daisy is the number of petals and the vibrant colors with varied colored centers. Pipe a double layer of petals and make them in bright colors.
LL

Wesha Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 10

I just bought the Gerber daisy cutters/punchers from Sugarcraft today. Can't wait to get them.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:44am
post #5 of 10

I did my first attempt at gerber daisies for a wedding last year. Visit my website at www.jellybeans.ca and in the wedding category I have the fushia colored daisy cupcakes there.
Good luck

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 10

It depends how complicated or simple you want them..
In this video there is a basic simple daisy..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIeVFbLnipk&feature=channel_page
But you can achieve a more realistic look in gumpaste by adding layers of petals
like the daisy at the bottom of this cake.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1322228
You can achieve a more complicated daisy using tip 104 and piping long loops, almost like
rabbit ears and then finishing with the dot in the center.
Just do what is more convenient. Sometimes cutting the flowers in fondant can
be faster then doing them in Royal Icing
Edna icon_smile.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 10

I love gerber daisies but haven't tried to make them.. this information should help me get motivated though!!!

Wesha Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:54am
post #8 of 10

Guys,

Here is my first attempt at regular gum paste daisies.
LL

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:01am
post #9 of 10

You did great Wesha..Now, just for a small addition, add another layer of the flower and put it so
the petals from the top fall on the open parts of the cut flower below.. I hope I said that right.
It will give you a fuller flower..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Wesha Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

You did great Wesha..Now, just for a small addition, add another layer of the flower and put it so
the petals from the top fall on the open parts of the cut flower below.. I hope I said that right.
It will give you a fuller flower..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Thanks Edna, I will definitely give it a try next time. I appreciate it.

Wesha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%