Q & U Wedding

Decorating By TSG177 Updated 7 May 2009 , 10:17am by clovely

TSG177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSG177 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #31 of 56

Thank you jkhilgeman for the picture. It came out really nice. It looked perfect to me. I am thinking of a 6 8 and 9 for the cakes. I didn't think of not putting a filling in the middle. I will have to think about that. I am making homecake cupcakes to match the cake. I also just made a whole bunch of fondant daisies and they are drying as we speak. I put them on wires so I can just stick them into the cake. What did you make your Q & U out of? I tried gumpaste but they don't look right. Maybe I made them too thin.
Thanks!

Sandy

jkhilgeman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkhilgeman Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:16pm
post #32 of 56

I used a pattern and traced the Q and U with hot pink chocolate. Then I luster dusted it in super pearl.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:26pm
post #33 of 56

That was my thread about a Q & U wedding for my son's K class in May!
Glad someone remembered!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613700-.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

boy, it seems I remember another thread on this very topic quite some time ago. I had no idea what they were talking about when I popped into the thread and found it to be a really cute idea.

Giving you a bump ... maybe someone else remembers this other thread? (I tried to search but it's hard to search for "Q" as a topic! icon_lol.gif )

korensmommy Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:37pm
post #34 of 56

I am making 9-6-3 cakes.
My plan (as of now until I can think of a better one) is to ice it white, with scrollwork on each layer & "qu" words piped on each layer too.
I'm planning to make a fondant "QU" topper, but not sure of the color/design, but I'm sure it will be covered in pearl dust!

TSG177 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:13pm
post #35 of 56

Wow so many great ideas for me to use. I actually made the Q & U out of gumpaste the other day but the color looked faded when it dried so I decided to actually make the Q & U out of foam and then I put a veil on the U and a hop hat and bow tie on the Q. I am getting all my pieces ready so when the day comes I will be able to put it all together without having to stop. Does anyone know if I need to put a center dowel down the middle of a 10, 8 and 6. I don't have to travel that far to the school only a few blocks. I am going to put dowels under each supporting plate anyway.

The cake is due March 31st. I am very excited that they asked me to make it.

Sandy

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:47pm
post #36 of 56

Sounds great! I wouldn't bother with the center dowel personally, but you never know, you know?

korensmommy Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #37 of 56

Sandy,
I live 2 blocks from the school and I think I'm going to assemble on-site so there are no accidents!
Post a pic on this thread when you finish, I'm eager to see what you do!

Just noticed you are from LI, so am I!

TSG177 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:14pm
post #38 of 56

Hi Everyone, Today was the day of the Q & U Wedding. Attached is a picture of the cake I made. I had a lot of trouble getting the tiers level once it was together. Overall I think it came out okay. Everyone loved it and that is what counts. Thanks for everyone's help.

Sorry I'm having trouble attaching the picture. If you go under my pictures it is the cake with the Q & U on it. Thanks for looking.

Sandy

korensmommy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:20pm
post #39 of 56

Sandy, I think it looks great!!
My Q & U wedding cake isn't due until the middle of May.
What did you use for the topper?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

How about a small tiered wedding cake with the Blue Q and the Pink U and then also some cupcakes that finish a word, like iz, een, and so on to see what words they can make with their cupcake.

This is the first time I've heard of a Q and U wedding. I love julzs71's idea for it though!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #41 of 56

AWWWWW.. Now that is adorable!!!! But I want to know if the U joins words without the Q, like Uniform, or Umbrella, is that like cheating, or is it polygamy????

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:43am
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilikina_24

I guess I'm leaning towards the Q being the girl....the Queen!

But than again that's not how it was with the Letter People! Anybody remember them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Letter_People

http://lw025.k12.sd.us/Meet%20the%20Letter%20People.htm

I guess they're still around although they changed them over the years.

omg I remember those! And then I read that article and realized they were born the same year I was. OMG I'm old icon_confused.gif

all4cake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:37pm
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

AWWWWW.. Now that is adorable!!!! But I want to know if the U joins words without the Q, like Uniform, or Umbrella, is that like cheating, or is it polygamy????

Nah...that's her maintaining her strength...gotta keep 'em on their toes...let him know she doesn't HAVE to be with him...she can make it without him.

Him on the other hand....has a more difficult time on his own

TSG177 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:49pm
post #44 of 56

Thanks's korensmommy for the compliment. Good luck in May. The cake I made was too big. It was a 12, 8 and 6 but I also made 80 cupcakes to go with it. The cake was for the adults who came and the cupcakes for the students and small guests. I originally made the topper out of gumpaste but they seemed to fade once they were dried so I went with foam on popsicle sticks and I decorated them to look like the bride and groom. This was much easier because they were fragile during transit. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Don't forget to post under this topic so I can see. There are very few pictures to get ideas from. I kept mine wedding style but more kid style, if that makes sense.

Sandy

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:27am
post #45 of 56

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1342813

The cake didn't turn out well at all but this is what I did for my son at the beginning of last year. The toppers is what I really wanted to show you. I got those two years earlier (three years ago now) at Michaels - little wooden letters and glued them on sticks and spray painted and added the veil and hat. I don't know what they did the year between my kids or this year but I did the letters for the topper that way so they could re-use them every year. The Q & U Wedding is so much fun!

all4cake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #46 of 56

clovely, that is a really cute idea! I love the words going around it!

korensmommy Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:30pm
post #47 of 56

Clovely,

Thanks *so* much for posting that photo. I love the cake and those toppers! May I borrow your idea? I was thinking about making them out of GP but I'm not going to drive myself crazy over a free cake made for Kindergarten students!

clovely Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:57pm
post #48 of 56

Certainly! And the teachers will love something they can pass along to whoever volunteers next year. You'll make something gorgeous and that'll probably be intimidating enough for the person who has to follow that next year and the next - but gumpaste letters would be really big shoes to fill. Since this is an annual thing, the wooden topper was really special for the teachers.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm
post #49 of 56

Jeeez i have never heard of this,Q and U wedding?.Does this happen in the U.K or is it an American thing.

clovely Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:31pm
post #50 of 56

I'm in America (Florida). I'd never heard of it till my daughter hit 1st grade. It's a lot of fun. This is a better picture I just came across of the topper when I used it the first time.
LL

korensmommy Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #51 of 56

Clovey,

Thanks for all the pics, they are very helpful.
What a great idea to pass on the Q & U letters for the next Kindergarten classes, especially since my daughter will be in K in a few years.

I grew up in NY and never heard about this before. When I searched the internet, they had a whole classroom kit on how to do the Q & U wedding.

korensmommy Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:32pm
post #52 of 56

Well, it's done!! That was my first time making a 3-tiered cake and my first time using pillars. The kids and parents loved it, so it was worth all the work.

If anyone else is in charge of a Q & U wedding, PM me if you need a template for invitations or a program!
LL

threematbros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threematbros Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #53 of 56

I can't believe this - I was just about to start a tread about this very topic. lol
I have been asked by our local school to do the same kind of cake. I am VERY new to cake decorating and am very excited to do this, but need some ideas and of course I found them here. icon_smile.gif

korensmommy I love your cake! Are the Q & U toppers foam?

korensmommy Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #54 of 56

Yes, they were made by a parent a few years ago. They were painted and glued onto wood. I put them on a cake board and just attached on top with a blob of icing.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

threematbros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threematbros Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:04pm
post #55 of 56

Thank you so much and again you cake is great.

clovely Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:17am
post #56 of 56

korensmommy, that was adorable! I love Q&U - so fun!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%