Wilton Roman Column Cake Stand (Question)

Decorating By Shelley72 Updated 9 Nov 2013 , 3:27am by epolpie6

Shelley72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley72 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:37am
post #1 of 5

Hello All!

I have a question about the Wilton Roman Columns cake stand. I have a wedding cake order and I want to place a 4 tiered wedding cake on this. Will the stand withstand the weight or does anyone know what weight the stand will hold?

I have seen a couple of pictures of this but do not want to exceed weight limits for fear of collapse.

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:56am
post #2 of 5

It will hold just fine. It's a balance and distribution of the weight that works.

Some people put the stand together and think it's feels/looks wobbly. Well, without a cake on it, it IS wobbly. But the weight of the cake helps hold everything in place.

When I started doing cakes, back in the late 70's, fountains and stairs cakes were pretty much the only cakes being made, so I used this stand every single weekend. I have more years experience working with this stand than most on here (with the possible exception of BCJean!).

You'll be fine. Just be sure you have a small ladder or stool handy to put that top tier on the top!

Shelley72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley72 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry it took so long o post a reply. I've been out of town. Thank you so much for your help. It was extremely helpful. This is the first cake I have done in this design and I had seen it done but knowing you have a history with this style really takes the questions out of my mind. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 5

One word of caution..... I once had to put a 4 tiered stacked cake on top of that set up and **WOW!!!!!* was that thing heavy and hard to get put together! I had built the cake on the top separator plate.... trying to get the 'feet' into the pillars w/that much weight was awful!
Make you cake on a board - not the plate and add it after the plate is in place.

epolpie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
epolpie6 Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 3:27am
post #5 of 5

A[quote name="indydebi" url="/t/621067/wilton-roman-column-cake-stand-question#post_6277310"]It will hold just fine. It's a balance and distribution of the weight that works.

Some people put the stand together and think it's feels/looks wobbly. Well, without a cake on it, it IS wobbly. But the weight of the cake helps hold everything in place.

When I started doing cakes, back in the late 70's, fountains and stairs cakes were pretty much the only cakes being made, so I used this stand every single weekend. I have more years experience working with this stand than most on here (with the possible exception of BCJean!).

You'll be fine. Just be sure you have a small ladder or stool handy to put that top tier on the top![/quot

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%