Too Much Air In My Buttercream....

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 3:47am by indydebi

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 16

I use SeriousCakes buttercream recipe. I always seem to have too much air in my icing. I use the 5 qt kitchenaid mixer with the flat paddle. I often have to color my icing with it because I have arthritis in my hands and cannot do it by hand.

What can I do to prevent all these airbubbles? Will buying the NEW beater blade that scrapes the sides help at all?

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 16

Well that *might* help......I haven't tried that beater.
After you have colored your icing could you stir it some w/a smallish wire whip by hand? - do a figure 8 motion.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 16

What speed are you mixing it on? Try using a very low speed

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 16

I have been told, "too much air means the mixer is up to high".

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 16

No, the Beater Blade doesn't get rid of bubbles but it does blend everything *extremely* well. I do this to get the bubbles out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6r8MYHYz00&feature=channel_page

lvspaisley Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 16

SeriousCakes! That is some SMOOTH ICING! Is that one batch or two? Maybe I need to put more in the mixer? I let it go a long time this time and it was still full of bubbles. I just don't want to try anything else because I *LOVE* your icing!!

The mixer is on the lowest speed I can get it on....HMMM?

SeriousCakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 16

It might need a little more liquid, this method works best for me in the spring/summer/fall because my kitchen is so cold in the winter. I still get bubbles but they're a lot smaller and for some reason they're easier to smooth. I run it on I want to say medium, just until it starts to fill in, then I turn it down and run it a little longer. This is just one batch, 6 cups icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #8 of 16

If you fill your mixer to the top of the paddle and us a lower speed it will reduce the amount of air that is incorperated into the icing.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:49am
post #9 of 16

Serious_Cakes--- thanks so much for the video. It really helps to see it done. I'm going to try that this week!

lvspaisley Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:39am
post #10 of 16

Well, I tried adding more liquid and I filled it up to the paddle (did 2 batches in my 5 quart bowl lift mixer) and I still had more air bubbles than ever. I am getting so discouraged.

SeriousCakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #11 of 16

Let me ask this though, is it hard to smooth those bubbles out? I mean when you go to smooth your cake? I almost always have bubbles but they're not hard to smooth because the frosting is so creamy.
I wish I had another suggestion for you though icon_sad.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:30am
post #12 of 16

I make Serious_cakes recipe all the time and double the recipe to keep the bowl full. At first I was frustrated with smoothness and it did work better for me making sure my butter was really soft and the cream at room temperature if not just a little warm. It goes better for me each time I make it and the other day I did just one batch and it turned out so smooth and creamy! I think I was leaving it too stiff before. Also, if I do end up with air, leave it for awhile. Then come back with a spatula or wire whip and stir it like Kakeladi said and it works out all the bubbles.
I love this recipe, and oh great, I clicked the youtube link, I've watched all her videos a thousand times, now I'll be humming Happy Valley to myself all night again!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #13 of 16

I also do not agree it's the paddle.

If you look at my icing in the bowl sometimes, it looks like it's full of air ... but once it's spread on the cake and smoothed withe Melvira, it's fine. So I never judge the icing when I look in the bowl.

Are you beating the fat really really well? large fat particles can drag in the icing, causing what looks like air pockets. Here's the illustration I use: Rub your hand across the surface of a sandy beach of really fine sand. You leave a smooth path in the sand. But .... ! Let there be a pebble in that sand and when you run your hand across it, the pebble leaves a trail in the sand. This is what the larger fat particles are doing.

So I really REALLY pulverize the fat before I add all of the sugar.

I also agree with the above posts about adding a little more liquid.

SeriousCakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:00am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

now I'll be humming Happy Valley to myself all night again!!

lol, I just posted a new video and my oldest daughter was so happy with the music I picked, it's been stuck in our heads for the last week and we listen to it almost every day!
You know, I also have a lot less problems with my bc in warmer weather. My kitchen is so ding dong cold in the winter! I try to get my butter as soft as possible during the winter but I might also try warming my liquids too.

lvspaisley Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:33am
post #15 of 16

You guys are so awesome.

You know, I always use my cream from the fridge, so it's cold. Maybe that's a problem. I also microwave my butter about 20 seconds if I am in a hurry...is that an issue? Should I just let it sit out on the counter? I just LOVE this recipe!

Indy, you know what, sometimes there are little lumps in there. I should turn the mixer way up huh?

I made this for cupcakes, so smoothing was not something I did today. It looks all bubbly in the swirls icon_sad.gif I want it SMOOTH like Serious Cake's YouTube video!!!!!! (Come to Tennessee and teach me how to do it, SC!)

So...pulverize the fat. Maybe add a touch more liquid...use the cream at room temperature...I will try again next week when I have some time to play. I have wondered if it's because I use my mixer to color my icing (have lupus so the arthritis in my hands makes it virtually impossible for me to tint the icing by hand). I did use a spatula to try to get some of the bubbles out and then I tried using a whisk to no avail.

Practice makes perfect??

Thanks for all the tips. Yall are awesome.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvspaisley

Indy, you know what, sometimes there are little lumps in there. I should turn the mixer way up huh?

I run mine on high to pulverize the fat. I have 3-speed 20qt and I use all three speeds interchangeably ... depends on how much of a hurry I'm in! icon_biggrin.gif Big hurry? on high. Going out for a smoke break (in the summer ... too cold to smoke in the winter!).....leave it on low.

(pssst! not a good idea to put it on high when adding p.sugar, though! icon_redface.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%