What Are You Making/baking For Easter??

Decorating By ShabbyChic_Confections Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 11:55am by -K8memphis

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:43am
post #1 of 43

I still nit sure, but I think I'll make NFSC with Antonia's icing and I want to try to make fortune cookies and dip them in chocolate.

What about you??

42 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:01am
post #2 of 43

I'm looking for 3D egg molds. I want to do chocolate eggs filled with homemade caramel and marshmallow, then paint the outsides with luster dusts

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:03am
post #3 of 43

I'm making a 2 tiered MMF covered carrot cake w/cream cheese icing underneath. I'm trying out a couple new textured rolling pins that I bought off eBay. I'm so excited!

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:18am
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I'm looking for 3D egg molds. I want to do chocolate eggs filled with homemade caramel and marshmallow, then paint the outsides with luster dusts

It's so funny that you mention 3D eggs, when I was a kid that's what we used to have, that's the tradition where I come from, you'll get a chocolate egg filled with candy and a little surprise toy and it was decorated outside with royal icing and sometimes my mom would splurge and buy a really big egg, probably 5 to 6 pounds of chocolate and we'll use a hammer to break it and see what was inside.

Man, now I really want to make them for easter!!

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:54am
post #5 of 43

By the way, does anyone have a recipe for fortune cookies?

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 43

I always have a brunch so I am making my sweet rolls twisted into the shape of bunnies, a coffee cake made in a Wilton Easter Bunny 3D cake pan, hot cross buns, and an almond filled bread.

The little kids will decorate RKT that I smushed into the egg cupcake pans, and maybe NFSC. The 2 & 3 year olds paint the cookies with colored Karo syrup and then add sprinkles, fondant cut out whatever.

DH will be cleaning the kitchen floor with the Hoover floormate.

Age has its rewards. He would have never done that until he became a grandfather.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #7 of 43

That's too cute!!

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 43

Not cookies, that's for sure...they kicked my but Christmas and Valentines day...I was worn out! I think I'll try a cake this time.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:14am
post #9 of 43

I'm still waiting to find out if I'm making a meal at home or not before I decide.

The last few big holidays my husband's extended family has mostly not shown up at his aunts despite her cooking for everyone so it sounds like they'll be stopping the meals.

If they do not have a big family meal I will be making dinner for us and my husband's parents. I told them that I would cook a meal if needed because my MIL will be busy with her church that weekend so she won't have time. Since my family doesn't attend church it makes sense that I cook the meal.

I know I'm going to be making cookies, my husband's grandma really likes them and I figure I'll make up a basket for her.

I'll wait to decide the rest until I know what's going on.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:40am
post #10 of 43

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1133139599054976741IEQYEf?vhost=home-and-garden

I make these sometimes for Easter.

If you leave them as is they are little birdie nests.
If you put a handle you have a little basket.

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:03am
post #11 of 43

I love you RKT idea k8memphis! Those look so cute & easy to do! Thanks for the idea.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:25am
post #12 of 43

I hate always having to make the desserts. I ALWAYS have to make the desserts. Before I can even get out "I will bring a..." Someone is always saying "Oh, Kim will bring the dessert!" icon_rolleyes.gif

My husbands family is not that big on sweets either, so I think I am going to keep it simple and make a carrot cake and some bubble bread. Oh, yeah and a mini GF cheesecake for my BIL and me.

The kids will get enough candy to keep them on a sugar high until next winter, so I am not aiming to please them this year.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:32am
post #13 of 43

Since I (chocolate) gave up chocolate for Lent, I (chocolate) guarantee I will be (chocolate) making something CHOCOLATE!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:55am
post #14 of 43

A few years back i made some really cute individual cakes using the half egg mold pan. They were to look like cooked eggs. I baked vanilla cake, baked in mold, glazed them once cooled and then filled with lemon curd. Really yummy, and a crowd pleaser. Here's a picture of the idea i'm talking of..http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/easter-egg-cakes

This year i dunno yet what i'm baking but i've been repeatedly tempted to buy new easter cookie cutters that i've been seeing all over town. I have so many cutters as it is, i think my husband would scream if i bought more.;0)

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:06am
post #15 of 43

Well, as of now, I'm making some of k8's RKT nests icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif (I looked at all the other things you had posted there, k8, and I see you're not only awesome at cake decorating! thumbs_up.gif ). I want to make some of those old-fashioned hollowed-out sugar mold eggs - the ones that have a peephole at the end with a little scene inside and the seams and edges are decorated with RI shells, because I finally found the molds again. I used to make a few every year. My granddaughter and I traditionally make some little chickies out of puff pastry (we buy it at the bakery and cut out a body and a head from two sizes of very small oval cutters, then put them together and bake them until they're golden). This tradition came about becuase I was looking for a substitute for Peeps for the Easter egg hunt and couldn't find any here. I'm sure we'll think up some other stuff as well. Our egg-dying sessions are legendary - both because we try something new every year and because of the mess we manage to make! icon_biggrin.gif

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1133139599054976741IEQYEf?vhost=home-and-garden

I make these sometimes for Easter.

If you leave them as is they are little birdie nests.
If you put a handle you have a little basket.

Those are so cute, it will be nice to fill them with mini cake balls!!

Vivalawvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vivalawvegas Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:50am
post #17 of 43

I'm doing a "Mr. MacGregor's Garden Cake" with the WS Vegetable Patch Cakelet Pan and a fondant Peter Rabbit. It'll be carrot cake with cream cheese filling and BC icing.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:30pm
post #18 of 43

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like them.

What I do is keep my rkt over a pan of hot water to keep them warm to buy time while I mold them--I use a small rounded cup shape to use to squosh them into so they'll slide out easy.

Then I mold and set them to dry upside down for several several hours. They can be a little wayward staying together at first.

I'm so glad ya'll liked them.

This rkt item was the first thing I ever posted online four years ago.

PS. Green food coloring into the coconut for 'grass'.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm
post #19 of 43

I never made rkt before, do you have any tips?

-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #20 of 43

That ^^^ link takes you to a pictorial.

Click on the first thumbnail to expand the picture...

Just keep clicking "next" and read the captions below the photos.

icon_biggrin.gif

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:40pm
post #21 of 43

That's a great tutorial, thank you so much!!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #22 of 43

I'm making vegan chocolate bunnies for my daughter, just for the sake of tradition and fun. We don't celebrate Easter, just do the fun stuff (paint wooden eggs, scavenger hunt) just because it's symbolic of Spring, otherwise I'd be making lots of stuff for the families. I think I might try doing one of those choc bird's nests too. icon_confused.gif

I absolutely love those Peter Rabbit cakes. They are so cute... icon_smile.gif

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:00pm
post #23 of 43

Well, this is a multi-functioned Easter for us this year. First, one of our dh's is joining the Church, so we'll be making a 1st Communion/Confirmation/Welcome cake for him; which also falls on my birthday so it'll also have a happy birthday element; and then the most important part of the weekend - Easter - so it'll have an Easter element; and then my dh's birthday is Easter this year (the day after my birthday) so it'll have a happy birthday element for him; and then my friend and her dh who is the one joining the Church are celebrating their 10 year anniversary on Good Friday so we have to throw an anniversary element into the cake; and then our 3rd cake partner has a birthday on the 15th so we thought we'd go ahead and include a birthday element on the cake for her!

So does anyone have any great ideas for a cake that celebrates: 1st Communion/Confirmation, 3 Birthdays, an anniversary, and Easter!?!?!

Should be an interesting looking cake!!! icon_lol.gif

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:05pm
post #24 of 43

I would make a tier for each occasion, I think you can incorporate all elements of the celebrations in eah tier and using pastels colors.

mbelgard Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:40pm
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

We don't celebrate Easter, just do the fun stuff (paint wooden eggs, scavenger hunt) just because it's symbolic of Spring,

That sounds about like our reason for celebrating Easter. My youngest is sure that the only reason for the holiday is because of the Easter Bunny. icon_lol.gif

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic_Confections

By the way, does anyone have a recipe for fortune cookies?

Here's mine ... Hope you enjoy!

1c all-purpose flor
1/2c sugar
2 Tb. cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp salt
1/2c oil
4 egg whites
1 Tb. water
2 tsp vanilla
24 fortunes on 1/2 x 3 in paper strips

Heat oven to 300 - Combine first 5 ingr. Add next 4 - beat 1 min. Spread 1 Tb. batter into a 4" circle on greased baking sheet. Bake 12 mins.. Working quickly - set disk onto potholder and place your fortune strip in middle. Pinch cookie into a semi-circle around fortune. Crease into crescent with molding onto a cup rim . Place into muffin tin w/2 points down - until cool.

Makes 24

kellertur Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 11:55pm
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:

We don't celebrate Easter, just do the fun stuff (paint wooden eggs, scavenger hunt) just because it's symbolic of Spring,

That sounds about like our reason for celebrating Easter. My youngest is sure that the only reason for the holiday is because of the Easter Bunny. icon_lol.gif

I read somewhere that the the Easter Bunny (and eggs) is actually a symbol for fertility and new life and has been around since ancient times. I think that symbolism is beautiful, something anyone can share in (if they choose) regardless of belief. icon_smile.gif

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:14am
post #28 of 43

I am making these bunnies and duckies from marshmallows. Hope you like them.

Patty
LL

mbelgard Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:27am
post #29 of 43
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I read somewhere that the the Easter Bunny (and eggs) is actually a symbol for fertility and new life and has been around since ancient times. I think that symbolism is beautiful, something anyone can share in (if they choose) regardless of belief. icon_smile.gif

Don't forget lambs, there is nothing like a new baby to symbolize fertility. I believe there is some evidence that they never even bothered to change the name of the pagan's spring holiday, some say that Easter is a take on the name of a pagan goddess.

I'm hoping that this year it will be nice since Easter is so late, I would love to hide eggs outside since most years we have snow on the ground still.

kellertur Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:50am
post #30 of 43
Quote:

I'm hoping that this year it will be nice since Easter is so late, I would love to hide eggs outside since most years we have snow on the ground still.

My daughter was born the day after Easter, so eventhough the date changes each year, Easter holds a special meaning for me. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%