Need Transportation Tips.

Decorating By smitakasargod Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 9:31pm by Gingoodies

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 8

I need help please!! I need my husband to take a cake I am making to his workplace 50 min drive away. It is a stacked cake and needs to be pre assembled. How can I make sure it is sturdy enough to withstand the journey? I have never done this and my husband is Mr. butterfingers so I am a bit (ok a lot) worried. Any help would be much appreciated. BTW it'll be a fondant covered cake.

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 8

what ever support you use to stack your cakes, make sure you have it sorted (dowels vs sps). and then make sure the bit the cake sits on in the car is *perfectly* flat, and that your husband understands that any unecessary sudden stops or speeding will get him shot!
xx

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 8

Thank you. I especially like the last tip icon_twisted.gif LOL.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:28am
post #4 of 8

The cake should NOT be put in a trunk--no matter what you do, it will not make the journey. It shoud be put on a perfectly flat place as close to the center of the vehicle as possible.

Place a piece of thick foam rubber (mattress pad/egg crate). or even better, memory foam under the box the cake travels in--it will absorb some of the bumps.

Put a central dowel thru the cake (1/4th inch hardwood, cleaned with a high alcohol extract or booze) and sharpened to go thru the cake boards and into the decorative base board.

Make sure that all of the supporting dowels are level, level, level. Assemble the cake at least 24 hrs. before it needs to travel and let it sit out to show any potential problems.

HTH
Rae

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:45am
post #5 of 8

I read on CC somewhere about putting the cake in a box, placing on a leveled seat, and seatbelting it in. Good luck, hope everything goes well and hubby stays out of trouble. icon_biggrin.gif

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:26am
post #6 of 8

I read someone saying two central dowels would be most secure. I transported a two tier (10 inch/6inch) candy castle cake done with the infamous castle set to a party about 20 minutes away. I put that grippy shelf liner stuff under the board and the cake was in the trunk of my 1998 Corolla. There were about 5 railroad tracks on the way and DH was driving. I just prayed. Not one thing fell. I've also transported a two tiered fondant cake in my trunk the same way. I just haven't seen a spot in my car that would seem secure enough. Probably because its such a small car... Good luck! I definitely believe in the two dowel support though!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 8

sps is your best bet for support system. If you can't get that use the Wilton hidden dowels & plates. My VERY LAST choice would be dowels. They tend to shift and rip the cake. As stated above, it must be on a flat surface with non skid mat under the box. Good Luck and I'm praying for your DH!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 8

I too would vote for wilton's hidden pillars (if you do not have sps system) I have used this method many times and transported stacked cakes with no problems. Please make sure your cake has been refridgerated before DH takes it. Preferably overnite. A cold cake has more stability.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%