Indydebi's Bc Recipe

Decorating By Vivalawvegas Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 11:23am by Rylan

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:42pm
post #31 of 87

Ok, I'm confused and I would love to try this recipe. Do you mix the powdered deam whip first (following directions on box) or just add the powder to the mixer like ps.?
Aslo, has anyone had any issues with the crisco brand with this particular icing.?
Thanks,
Tracy

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:58pm
post #32 of 87

let me first say that using one week old icing is not the norm for me at all but I had some left over and decided to keep it....later in the week I made some cupcakes...used it and it was still wonderful, no probs.

crisco doesn't allow color to take and hold well at all (learned from CC members that it's due to the lack of trans fat) that is why I use regular old veggie shortening.

I just measure out my 3TBLS of dream whip and add it in.....I DO NOT mix up the dream whip first....
the recipe is so easy.

I put 3 TBLS dream whip
3TBLS of my flavor choice which is usually vanilla
1 1/3 cup shortening
1/3 -1/2 cup milk...
mix that all up for about 3 minutes or so....until creamy and mixed well then slowly poor my 2 lb bag of PS in and mix well...scraping the bowl several times if needed.....I only mix it on medium speed for about 7 mins or so.
THAT'S it.....easy peasy and yummy yummy
I store in an air tight container on the counter....I've never put it in the frig.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:08am
post #33 of 87

i feel silly.i thought crisco was vegetable shortning. are you refering to store brand? i wonder if western family has that. i feel silly not having paid more attention over these years

dahir Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:12am
post #34 of 87

Oh my, Thank you so much!!! Maybe U can answer one more question. Is LARD the same as crisco basically? With the Trans Fat issue with Crisco I.ve been looking for alternatives and the only thing Im Finding is actually labled LARD. Will this work?
Thanks Again,
Tracy

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:17am
post #35 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahir

Oh my, Thank you so much!!! Maybe U can answer one more question. Is LARD the same as crisco basically? With the Trans Fat issue with Crisco I.ve been looking for alternatives and the only thing Im Finding is actually labled LARD. Will this work?
Thanks Again,
Tracy

Crisco is hydrogenated vegetable oil (soybean and cottonseed). Lard is animal fat. Lard is great in a pie crust but I wouldn't use it in icing...

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:20am
post #36 of 87

Lard is NOT the same as Crisco or All-Vegetable shortening. Lard is rendered pork fat and a big no-no to most Jews and Muslims so always err on the side of caution and NEVER EVER use lard in any icing recipe. Lard also has a very strong swiney flavor (due to being from the fat of the pig- makes sense). While back in the day, most pastry doughs were made with lard because of how flaky a texture it produces, you definitely have that taste of pig fat in there.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:24am
post #37 of 87

Is indydebi's buttercream icing good for making buttercream roses or just frosting your cake?

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:28am
post #38 of 87

I don't use anything but Crisco and I've never had a problem with color. The WalMart brand shortening did cause color streaking though.

Tita9499 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:30am
post #39 of 87

I've got a question. Can you make it more shelf stable (I know I read that it stayed out in the heat for 5 hours and held up) by making "milk" by adding water to powdered coffee creamer? I'm only assuming the milk is to make the consistency spreadable.

dahir Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:39am
post #40 of 87

WOW! Definetly don't want any pig fat- Thanks for the info. I just haven't had any luck finding the sweetex or a "off" brand to try. Ill keep looking. I think someone said they used the new trans fat crisco with no problems so I'll try that i guess.
Thanks,
Tracy

Sunflowerbagel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflowerbagel Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #41 of 87

I'm going to jump in here to say that I also switched right after the first time I tried it (needed a good outside recipe to withstand humidity at a wedding).
thumbs_up.gif
But, since we're on the topic, does anyone make a chocolate butter cream from this recipe? I'd love to know if it's as simple as adding the same way as other BCs.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:59am
post #42 of 87

wow, gang, thanks so much for the wonderful compliments on the icing! icon_smile.gif

Milk and sugar stablize each other, so that's why this can be left out on the counter. I'm sure there's a max-point ratio formula or something, but whatever the icing-ratio is, it must work ok, 'coz I'm done it for years.

I use this icing for everything .. icing, roses, drop flowers, stringwork, leave, borders, writing .. everything. If I need a thicker or thinner consistency, I just add milk or sugar, depending on what direction I need to go.

Tita, I've no idea how creamer would work (or powdered milk) because I've never done it, but the idea makes sense. Seems I've seen on TV that some of the large production companies use dry milk to enhance shelf life (but don't quote me .... I've no idea for sure).

I've never had an issue with the zero trans fat. I never even noticed a change ... didn't know there was a change until I read about it on CC. I've read nothing but good things from those who used the hi-ratio so I will be interested in trying that. The only time I've had color separate is after it sits for awhile (I mean like a few days, not a few minutes or hours). That's when I have, for example, some green icing left in the decorating bag, so I just throw the dec.bag in a ziplok because I know I'll need green icing in a few days for some leaves. When I'm ready to use it, I just knead the bag to remix it.

I'm just so glad everyone seems to be having good success with it. thumbs_up.gif

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:16am
post #43 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use this icing for everything .. icing, roses, drop flowers, stringwork, leave, borders, writing .. everything. If I need a thicker or thinner consistency, I just add milk or sugar, depending on what direction I need to go.

I've never had an issue with the zero trans fat. I never even noticed a change ... didn't know there was a change until I read about it on CC. I've read nothing but good things from those who used the hi-ratio so I will be interested in trying that. The only time I've had color separate is after it sits for awhile (I mean like a few days, not a few minutes or hours). That's when I have, for example, some green icing left in the decorating bag, so I just throw the dec.bag in a ziplok because I know I'll need green icing in a few days for some leaves. When I'm ready to use it, I just knead the bag to remix it.

Sorry about cropping your quote deb, but I just wanted to ditto these points in particular.

I switched over to Deb's recipe about 30 cakes ago & I ain't goin' back! thumbs_up.gif

LUV IT! icon_biggrin.gif

I do prefer to use water instead of milk though just for my own ease of mind. I have used both water & milk & I can't tell the dif personally.

As for Crisco, I think it's on a caker by caker basis. It's all I've ever prefered to use & I've never had a problem. I have had to use some off brands before (availablitily or DH shopping for me icon_lol.gif ) but I was neither impressed nor discouraged by the difference (if any).

GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:44am
post #44 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowerbagel

I'm going to jump in here to say that I also switched right after the first time I tried it (needed a good outside recipe to withstand humidity at a wedding).
thumbs_up.gif
But, since we're on the topic, does anyone make a chocolate butter cream from this recipe? I'd love to know if it's as simple as adding the same way as other BCs.

thats what i need around here in northern idaho despite our elevation and location; our particular area is a banana belt and easily gets into triple digits in the summer. the old fashioned buttercream i used for years is no longer heat stable thanks to the change in shortenings / 0 transfat

the one i used was a wilton recipe

1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup (i think)of crisco/shortening
1lb of ps
tsp clear vanilla
3 or more tbs of milk.

just doesn't hold up in anything past 80/85 anymore.

Tita9499 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:47am
post #45 of 87

Wilton BC...**shudder**...

Thanks Debi, she loves me ya'll (awww shucks). I'm going to try it for the quince cake I was told I was going to cut...LOL!

GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:01am
post #46 of 87

yah i know lol.. was reluctant to go out of my comfort zone. knew what to expect with the old wilton bc and knew how to work it to what i neede,d till the 0 transfat change occurred, now with the way weather is up here i NEED a sturdier more reliable alternative- scratch that- replacement! hehe

Tita9499 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:06am
post #47 of 87

Trust me I know all about needing "sturdy" due to weather conditions. I thought I died and went to hell when summer hit El Paso last year 116 on a good day. After coming from Germany where they don't even have air conditioning in most homes, it was a straight up culture shock.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #48 of 87

oh i've got a couple of cake orders coming this weekend and i'm definately gonna try indy's-(although i did just get some rave reviews of the bc i usually use-slight variation of wilton so i'm interested in what others have to say)

GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:14am
post #49 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Trust me I know all about needing "sturdy" due to weather conditions. I thought I died and went to hell when summer hit El Paso last year 116 on a good day. After coming from Germany where they don't even have air conditioning in most homes, it was a straight up culture shock.

thats the temps we deal with up here. only less humidity i'm told though i kinda argue that as i live right next to the river lol

Tita9499 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:18am
post #50 of 87

Less humidity than the desert? I doubt that...I don't know 'bout Idaho, but El Paso's dry a bone.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:20am
post #51 of 87

GenGen,
No questions are ever DUH questions icon_smile.gif .

Mine is pretty firm but spreadable right out of the fridge...all I do is stir well, by hand with my spatula, and it's ready to go.

GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #52 of 87

whenever i mention how hot it gets up here to family thats in Phoenix they always scoff and tell me ours is nothing cause we don't have the humidity etc. ah well

The_Cake_Ladies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Cake_Ladies Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:29am
post #53 of 87

With the milk in it don't you have to refrigerate it. How long can it set out?

indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #54 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

whenever i mention how hot it gets up here to family thats in Phoenix they always scoff and tell me ours is nothing cause we don't have the humidity etc. ah well

I have friends who travel the country and they say the worst humidity is in Indiana, Wisc and Minnesota.

I used to have a job where I traveled the entire country ... New Hampshire to California; Canada to Mexico. One of my warehouses was in Arizona, (nogales, on the Mexico border).

Tell your family I've BEEN to Phoenix .... and it has no humidity! icon_lol.gif My folks in Az would be amazed because I'm wearing jeans in 115 degree heat. I'd look at them really confused and tell them "this is nothing! come back to indiana and I'll SHOW you what hot it!" icon_lol.gif It's where if it gets to be close to 80 degrees with ANY hint of humidity and there are people who can't leave their air conditioned homes because they can't breath! I'd exit the plane in Indpls, and the humidyt would cause us all to start to walk a little bent over. The humidity seriously would "beat you down".

Hubby had a customer who had moved here from Connecticut, who said to him, "I have no idea how you people stand this humidity here! I'm about to die every time I walk out my door!" Hubby looked at her and said, "Oh, we can't stand it either!" icon_biggrin.gif

But Arizona lightning storms ... THOSE ARE AWESOME!!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:38am
post #55 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie_Q

With the milk in it don't you have to refrigerate it. How long can it set out?

the milk and sugar stablize each other. I've left it out for 10 days or so. (Rarely have it left over for that long these days, but I have done it.)

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:34am
post #56 of 87

I hear you, indydebi!!! I am in Fort Wayne, IN. Humidity here is absolutely oppressive! I was told it was because a lot of northern IN was built up from swamp. Maybe that explains all the mosquitos too! icon_biggrin.gif Definitely need an icing that can last thru it.

Jen

Tita9499 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #57 of 87

When I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca (right near the Nogales border), we used to have to go to school at night because it got soooo hot, and I went to school during the monsoon season (I loved the thunderstorms to Debi). But when we were out, ooohweee! I looked horrific. I was pasty white (light tan) with hands and neck and head that were dark brown. When my DH can to visit me he laughed so hard at me I almost smacked him.

indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:45am
post #58 of 87

Tita, during one visit, I actually ended up staying the weekend (I was at the Rio Rico Resort). So at 10:30 a.m., I went to the pool.

White women from Indiana should NOT try to be friendly with Arizona sun! After only one hour, I was so burned, I could hardly move. But it didn't seem hot to me!! It only felt about 70-72 degrees. How did I know I was frying myself in 100 degree heat? icon_eek.gif

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:02am
post #59 of 87

Colorado gets hot, but has practically zero humidity.

I went to SC for the first time ever last May, and it was only 80º or so, but the humidity was like, 86% or something ridiculous like that. I couldn't breathe the whole time we were there. It was like trying to breathe pudding. TERRIBLE. lol.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:29am
post #60 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderspritzer

Colorado gets hot, but has practically zero humidity.

I went to SC for the first time ever last May, and it was only 80º or so, but the humidity was like, 86% or something ridiculous like that. I couldn't breathe the whole time we were there. It was like trying to breathe pudding. TERRIBLE. lol.

My fiance is from Colorado Springs. He visited me here in the Philippines for the first last January and it's one of our "cold months" the temp was about 79 to 85 and he said that's fine but the humidity made him sweat buckets and buckets. He was dehydrated the entire first week because he hasn't sweat that much ever. lol and he's coming over again, for good this time during our summer months. where it's 86 to 90+ on a given day. Poor baby...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%