Help With A Man's Birthday Cake!

Decorating By JenWhitlock Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm by LittleLinda

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 4

I need to do a birthday cake for a man turning 80!
we've decided that it will be a 3-tier square cake (big party!) and BC icing with fondant accents, ugh.... wish I was better at BC!

he used to conduct an orchestra - so the middle tier will be white with music running around it.

he also loves spring flowers. and antiques. (I was told not to worry about the antiques)
for the flowers, I was thinking of making some tulips and daffodils - keeping in the vibrant red and yellow colors.

I don't want the cake to go 'girlie' with the flowers.
I don't want the cake to go wedding-ie with too much white.
and I'm not sure how to integrate the themes.
should I have all three tiers white? or maybe different colors for the top/bottom?
should I keep the foliage running around the bottom some neutral color? so that the overall cake is white - black - with pops of red/yellow???

what about the top tier???

goodness. this is a tough one for me.

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:40am
post #2 of 4

bottom - antique piano, middle - the music, top - a bunch of flowers.
top - sheets of music, with notes then tumbling down the other tiers

i like the tulips and daffodils, but im struggling on how to tie it in with the music.

maybe simple flowers up the sides, piped green stem, cut out flower shape?

good luck with this one!
xx

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 4

thanks so much!!!!
I'm still not sure what to do.
but I'm really intrigued with the idea of having a cascade of flowers on top of the the music cake.... i.e. do the whole cake as a b/w music stuff and then have a cascade of bright spring flowers (I'm thinking of spring green, red and yellow)

I love the idea of the piano on the bottom, but I'm not sure I can pull that off.
I did consider a fancy old music stand for the top - painted to look like brass.

thank you brincess_b, I love CC!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 4

I like the idea of the music; I also think antiques would be nice if you could create a few ... pocket watch or a grandfather clock for instance, and write:

"Like antiques and great music, you're timeless"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%