Help With Kansaswolf's Cream Cheese Base Fondant

Decorating By allthehobbies

allthehobbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allthehobbies Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:00am
post #1 of 1

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I did a search and it didn't come back with anything, so here goes:

I just made kansaswolf's cream cheese base fondant, which truly does taste great, as she said it would. I've only used fondant a few times before to cover cakes, so I am by no means a pro, or even very practiced at it, but I really struggled with this fondant. I used more powdered sugar than was recommended, because when I used the amount in the recipe, it was still VERY sticky and wet, and there was no way I could roll it out. Even after adding more powdered sugar that was called for (and her recipe says you'll probably use less than what's listed), it was still very sticky.

I threw it in the fridge for a couple hours and then came back to it, and I could at least roll it out, but it was cracking like crazy, as if it was too dry, but sticking to the counter like it was too wet still. The only way I could even get it on my cake was to slide a flat cookie sheet under it, and then slide it off onto the cake, and then it was very cracked and wrinkly.

With some coaxing, I got it to smooth out a little, and I actually got out the wrinkles, which I've always had troubling doing on fondant (on the bottom of a round cake, I always end up with overlap because I can't get it to smooth out). But I still have a lot of tears and holes. Has anyone had this problem with this recipe before, and have you figured out a way to fix it? Or possibly to adjust the recipe and stabilize it a little more? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love the taste of this, and would love to use it again, but as it is, it's just not working for me.

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%