Any Helpful Hints On 11X18

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm by Reganlynn

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hello, I am making an 11x18 cake for the first time. I have never made a cake this big before. Any tips on how to bake, how to remove from pan and place on board without it breaking. The pan just looks so huge, it's a little intimidating!

Thanks Everyone!

4 replies
missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 5

First I am jealous you have an oven big enough for that size pan. Last time I made a big cake I put the board on a cookie sheet then that on the pan then I flipped. It worked fine for me. I just baked at 325 with the cake strips on the pan and it turned out fine. A lot of people suggest the upside down rose nail.

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 5

hi,
I bake a lot of 12''x 18'' cakes and I have never had any problems with them.Maybe bake it at a little lower temperature, 325 ?. I usually use a pan grease, flour and shortening mixed together, as my coating for my pan. I turn My cake out right after I take them from the oven. I use a card boards a little larger than the cake and I cover the cake with a piece
of wax paper and flip it over. This also pulls off most of the sticky top later.
Then I just let it cool.When I am ready to put it own the decorating board
I put the new board on top and flip it quickly. When I make two layers this size I put a little corn starch on the top board so the cake layer will slide off a lot easier.Just line it up a gradually slide it into place. Some help would be a good thing at this time.
sandeeb icon_smile.gif

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 5

I always grease my pan lightly, put a sheet of wax paper in the bottom and bake. When finished baking, let it stand for 5min, put a tray/board on top of the baking pan and flip it over.........never had a problem with it breaking. Always comes out perfect!!
Hope you manage to come right!

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! I guess I am just intimidated by the size of the pan. I will bake at 325, that makes sense.

Thanks for all the help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%