Tylose Vs. Gum-Tex

Decorating By mlharvell Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 5:17am by mlharvell

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 12:59am
post #1 of 5

What's the difference between tylose and gum-tex?

4 replies
gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 5

I am sure no expert, but I can tell you my experience with tylose and gum tex. The gum tex I really get annoyed with. The gum paste that I make with it is soft and dry and has no pliability to it. Now, that may be because of me, but the Nicholas Lodge recipe I make with tylose is perfect! White and pliable and easy to work with.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 5

I have read/been told that GumTex makes it more like pastilige(sp?) but when I posted that on this site someone said no way so now I don't know icon_sad.gif However, what gerripje said is my experience too.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:51am
post #4 of 5

Hmmm, I don't know exactly what pastillage is supposed to be like, but the gum tex gum paste or added to fondant just doesn't seem to be as 'rubbery' if that makes any sense. Since I am as cheap as they come, I keep trying to find a use for the gum tex gum paste. It did make really smooth centers for calla lilies, or I just use it as a name plaque and make sure I give it lots and lots of time to dry. Things that don't need to be thin and delicate like petals! HTH and makes sense!

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:17am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the help, gals! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%