A Few Smbc Questions

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 4:28am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 12

I want to make this icing for my MIL's b-day cake (this weekend)...I'm using Martha's recipe, is there anything I need to know or alter? I don't want it to taste like butter...

I have on hand "Break Free" liquid egg whites (Kroger's brand) - has anyone used this in an MBC with success? (I know in a previous thread the different brands were discussed, some people had success with one brand, while the other brand didn't work...)

What happens after I make it - can I use it immediately to ice a cake, or does it have to chill first?

Also, what can I do with this icing? Will it do a basket weave and basic flowers (like tulips)? Or if not, if I ice the cake in SMBC then use a regular buttercream on the sides for basketweave/tulips - will it hold the weight of the regular buttercream on the sides? (kwim?)

Any other hints or tips welcome!

11 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 12

Hello,

I make IMBC (its about the same) and in fact, just made some last weekend with Break Free egg whites. Turned out fine. I do put cream of tartar in with the eggs, and I make sure there is no grease.

I can pipe just about anything with it, as long as it hasn't sat out too long. Because it is all-butter it will melt faster than a shortening-based icing. You also wont normally get very deep colors, but I seldom color mine much anyway.

I also add melted and cooled white chocolate, which I think helps it be more stable.

Hope that helps!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 12

As PP said. Use vinegar to wipe out your bowl and utensils (cuts grease). Ice with it immediately after you make (at RT). If you let it cool, you need to rewhip it. I can't use it to make flowers (my hands are too warm) and would rather just mix up other BC for that stuff. You can always have two bags prepped, one on a ice bag so when your piping icing is too warm you switch to a cooler one and alternate. A basketweave or regular borders I don't have issues with.

yellobutterfly Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

Hello,

I make IMBC (its about the same) and in fact, just made some last weekend with Break Free egg whites. Turned out fine. I do put cream of tartar in with the eggs, and I make sure there is no grease.

I can pipe just about anything with it, as long as it hasn't sat out too long. Because it is all-butter it will melt faster than a shortening-based icing. You also wont normally get very deep colors, but I seldom color mine much anyway.

I also add melted and cooled white chocolate, which I think helps it be more stable.

Hope that helps!

can you share how much cream of tartar (and why?) and how much white chocolate (and when to add it)?

Thanks!

yellobutterfly Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

As PP said. Use vinegar to wipe out your bowl and utensils (cuts grease). Ice with it immediately after you make (at RT). If you let it cool, you need to rewhip it. I can't use it to make flowers (my hands are too warm) and would rather just mix up other BC for that stuff. You can always have two bags prepped, one on a ice bag so when your piping icing is too warm you switch to a cooler one and alternate. A basketweave or regular borders I don't have issues with.

good idea with the ice, thanks! So basketweave is possible?!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 12

Add 1/3 c. melted (and cooled) chocolate after the BC is mixed up.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 12

Yes you can make flowers with it, just may need to be cooled down a bit. And yes you can make ABC (American BC) flowers and piping for the sides just fine too.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 12

You probably already know this but DO NOT use salted butter. I learned that one the hard way! icon_redface.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 12

I use cream of tartar because it helps stabilize the egg whites. I think I use about a tsp and 1/2 for 8 egg whites (I sort of tweaked a recipe so I could use the whole carton of egg whites, which equal 8 egg whites). For 8 whites I use 1 and 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds of unsalted butter.

I add 8-12 ounces of white chocolate...sometimes just depends on how much I have sitting around. I usually just use Baker's, but sometimes I use Ghiardelli.

yellobutterfly Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:55am
post #10 of 12

has anyone ever subbed margarine for butter in an MBC? the reason I ask is because I sub m for b in all my baking and candy recipes with no problem... and was hoping it might work for this as well?

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:14am
post #11 of 12

I wouldn't use margarine.....it's all chemicals and water! You need that lovely butter flavor for something like this.

Jodie

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:28am
post #12 of 12

Use unsalted butter. it makes a HUGE difference. I only use salted if I'm gonna make chocolate SMBC. It's not as noticeable or if I can't find unsalted butter, i make sure I make chocolate SMBC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%