10 Inch Rounds Split In 4!

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 9:39pm by RobzC8kz

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:00am
post #1 of 18

I used Duncan Hines White cake mix and baked two 10x2 inch rounds. I've baked a lot of cakes over the years and have NEVER had anything like this happen icon_cry.gif

After cooling in the pan for about 20 to 30 mins I went to flip over to the cooling rack and after a minute or so I saw that BOTH cakes had completely cracked ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!! icon_cry.gif Its midnight, I won't rebake tonight. I don't even have enough supplies to rebake if I wanted to, which believe it or not I did.

I made this EXACT cake about a month ago. White cake, 10 inch rounds. I cannot believe this happened. I don't want it to happen when I rebake tomorrow. Does anyone know what I should do differently?

17 replies
Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 18

Don't leave it in the pan so long.. Let it sit like a minute or two and then get them out of the pan.

sweet1122 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 18

I was leaning towards thinking the cake was too soft of a cake and maybe I need to use a denser cake for a cake of that diameter. Its also meant to be a tiered cake with a 6 inch 2 layer cake on top. Should I make a denser cake next time around? Or do you think just taking it out of the pan sooner would enough?

Thanks for the reply!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 18

i was told once to leave it in for 15 minutes and then get it out of the pan...since i started doing that, i've never had a problem with them cracking and i always use DH mixes when i bake..

Sunflower08 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 18

I use DH all the time and I've never had a problem with it and I've done stacked cakes with it as well. I would try taking it out of the pan sooner. I usually pull mine from the oven and then wait a minute or two and put on cooling rack and cover with foil.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 18

This has happened to me a couple of times, and now that I think about it, it has been when I left them to cool in the pan to long...... I usually take them out not longer than ten minutes.....

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 18

With the others, I also vote for a shorter cooling time in the pans. Ten minutes tops.

Also, did you flip the cakes over onto a second cooling rack so the top faces up? If your cake developed a dome and you left it on the cooling rack dome side down, that is definitely, without a doubt, what caused the cracking.

sweet1122 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 18

Um... no, wow, yeah, I don't do that. Do you do that immediately? Like, flip, flip? I guess I have a lot more to learn than I thought. icon_redface.gif

So, you flip it out of the pan and then immediately flip it over again so the top faces up? Wow, that would actually really probably help.

I feel really stupid now. There wasn't "much" of a dome, but I did overfill intentionally, so it had risen above the pan.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 18

Don't feel stupid...we're all on here to learn...there are some people on here with mountains of knowledge and they're always willing to share..

Sunflower08 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:44pm
post #10 of 18

Exactly!! We are all here learning new things!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 18

Yep, reflip immediately.

Don't be embarrassed. Most of us learned these things the hard way. One day you'll give someone the same advice. icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 18

when I over fill to get the cake to rise above the pan I cut the dome off after I let the cake cool 10 minutes just before I flip it out of the pan to cool, then I do not re-flip.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

when I over fill to get the cake to rise above the pan I cut the dome off after I let the cake cool 10 minutes just before I flip it out of the pan to cool, then I do not re-flip.

Exactly. Follow steps 1, 2 and 3 here and you will never have a problem: http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #14 of 18

Another way to get rid of the dome...take a clean cloth towel folded in half and lay it over your cake when it comes out of the oven.
Gently push down on the dome until you have a level cake.
This releases the steam in the cake. It will not work if the cake is cooled.

Then turn out on your rack...no need to flip again. Also, no waste of cake and cake tops laying around!

sweet1122 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:42am
post #15 of 18

Hmmm, wow, I'll defnitely have to try that! Thanks!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:57am
post #16 of 18

I leave my cakes in the pan, flip over onto a sheet pan and leave them (in the pan) to cool. This keeps the moisture in and gives a flat/level top.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:14am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

.... Also, no waste of cake and cake tops laying around!

no cake tops go to waste around my house!! icon_lol.gif

BTW, I also double flip. I've left the cake in the pan for a few minutes and also for a long time.
I do think the cake tastes better the quicker it is wrapped regardless of how long in the pan.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 18

I think it's been said already, but make sure you cut the dome off the top before you flip the cakes out of the pans. It happened to me a few times before I finally caught my mistake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%