Cake Bling ?

Business By snarkybaker Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm by Swede-cakes

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 13

So, I have been toying with the idea of carrying some cake jewelry. The initial sample order is hefty and I am not sure whether or not cake jewelry is still "in" or not. I always record "Platinum Weddings" to look at the cakes they are serving, and for the most part they are pretty darn blingy. I figure it is better for me to sell it to them and make the extra $$ than to have them bring it in from elsewhere and still have to deal with it.

Any thoughts?

12 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 13

Yes. Have you seen the stuff from Bakery Crafts? You buy wholesale, mark it up 100% and you're still able to offer crowns and monograms cheaper than anyone else in town.

snarkybaker Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 13

I had not seen those. I was actually thinking of stocking the stuff from expressions...

www.cake-jewelry.com

but bakery crafts is going to be a much better price point. Is the stuff nice?

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 13

This is a public service announcement.....

Txkat....for the love of all that is good please don't use the term "bling". It's one of those trendy words that got overplayed and now is super corny, lol. I am doing this purely out of respect for you. You heard of friend don't let friends drink and drive? Well cake friends don't let other cake friends say bling. icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gif

snarkybaker Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Txkat....for the love of all that is good please don't use the term "bling". It's one of those trendy words that got overplayed and now is super corny, lol. I am doing this purely out of respect for you. You heard of friend don't let friends drink and drive? Well cake friends don't let other cake friends say bling. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

I actually meant it kinda corny. The internet's greatest failing is not being able to transmit "tone" well.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 13

HMMM....so you're saying bling...isn't groovy?

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Txkat....for the love of all that is good please don't use the term "bling". It's one of those trendy words that got overplayed and now is super corny, lol. I am doing this purely out of respect for you. You heard of friend don't let friends drink and drive? Well cake friends don't let other cake friends say bling. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

I actually meant it kinda corny. The internet's greatest failing is not being able to transmit "tone" well.

Lol, gotcha. icon_wink.gif

I really like your original site for the jewelry. They seems to be more high end. I have seen quite a few cakes from "celebrity" cake designers using jewel pieces. More of an accent like in the center of a bow or to look almost like a buckle for the ribbon border. Very simple.

leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #8 of 13

How much does that stuff sell for? I sell a 3 letter monogram for $45. It looks fine, although not as high end as cake-jewelry.com. But I've also found that in this economy I can sell the bakerycraft ones pretty easy. Brides aren't willing to drop a bunch of $$ for a cake top any more.

snarkybaker Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

How much does that stuff sell for? I sell a 3 letter monogram for $45. It looks fine, although not as high end as cake-jewelry.com. But I've also found that in this economy I can sell the bakerycraft ones pretty easy. Brides aren't willing to drop a bunch of $$ for a cake top any more.

They run about double that. So, they are still about half the cost of Paris tiara or toppers with glitz. That is where I try to be market-wise. Sort of bridge rather than couture.

www.paristiaras.com
www.topperswithglitz.com

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:23am
post #10 of 13

I wouldn't invest because I think the whole *sparkly-crystal concept* is on its way out, period. The fact that you mentioned bling and corny in the same sentence says it all. Crystals are bling, but bling is corny. If your brides haven't figured this out yet, then it's only a matter of time before they will.

leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 13

I must disagree. I just showed a cake at a wedding show where I put a three row rhinestone banding at the base of each tier like a ribbon. (Yeah I broke my own rule about not using non-edible on a cake.) It was by far the most popular cake in my display. Brides will never get away from sparkly and shiney. Especially in a downturning economy. They want that princess day. They love eye candy. And since I'm an urban girl, bring on the bling! ::snap, snap::

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 13

Have to agree with Leahs on this one. There are always going to be wedding dresses full of swarovski and bling and therefore cake as well.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 13

Hmmm. Interesting topic, because a close friend of mine is a custom jeweler and I feature her on my website, which is how an out of state bride found me while looking for a custom cut monogram cake topper.

My friend designed for her three beautiful letters with semi-precious drops and it's beautiful. It's not over the top bling-y, it's quite elegant. We each have our own idea of what's tasteful; copper with sparkling blue topaz as this bride wanted, to being encrusted with crystals all over for someone else.

I agree with leahs too. Sparkle of some sort will always be there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%