Packaging Your Cakes

Decorating By Michellers Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm by Michellers

Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:04am
post #1 of 10

I've been getting more orders lately, which I only do for family, friends and family of friends. I had my first order last weekend where I didn't personally deliver the cake and I didn't know how to package it. It was a 2 tier, and I haven't been able to find any tall boxes at my local cake store or craft stores.

So, how do you package your tall cakes for transporting?

9 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 10

I often have the same problem! My cakes are a minimum of 5" tall and I usually have customers picking up tiered cakes too. The regular cake boxes just aren't tall enough, grrr!

Go to your local Business Depot or Staples (Walmart, Kmart, whatever!) and get Banker's file boxes. (I get 6-packs for about $13 dollars here in Ontario.)

They are VERY strong, sturdy and about 11" tall. They have built-in handles and are a good 12" wide usually. They work perfectly with a tall cake or even tiered ones.

What I do is cut out a square of non-slip rubber matting for the bottom of the box, then place the cake on its board on top. SOO perfect for transporting cakes!
LL

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 10

i use for small 2 tier cakes
http://store.uhaul.com/Boxes/Moving/Book_Box
for larger ones
http://store.uhaul.com/Boxes/Moving/Medium_Box

they are very sturdy, cheap and reusable

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 10

Great solution, but I have one question - how do you recommend your clients' get the cake out of the boxes effectively without touching the cake? It seems like it would be a tight fit for a multiple tiered cake with a 10 or 12 inch cake board at the base...

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 10

I'd just ask them to cut down the corners of the box and slide it out instead of lifting it. If you really don't trust them, pre-cut the side yourself and then tape it up securely....then all they have to do is snip the tape and lower the side. (But be aware, that weakens the box for transport. Just advise them to cut the side themself being careful of cutting into the cake accidentally. icon_rolleyes.gif )

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 10

I advice my customers, the same as antonia74, but must the time the cake can be lift with no mayor problems as I use cake drums instead of cake boards. Also I ad to the box a piece of gripper pad in order avoid the cake movement and accidents inside the box.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100648254

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 10

Here's how I package up mine:
LL

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 10

I use large square moving boxes like you posted.I cut the sides down in front like a draw bridge tape the sides shut so they can slide it out..Like Antonia74 I use a small piece of slip resistant matting underneath.Works really well!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 10

I haven't used these boxes but I'm thinking of ordering some for when I deliver cakes to protect them from the weather. They're kind of pricey so I think they're meant to reuse.

http://www.bakingshop.com/cakes/cakeboxes.htm

Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 10

Oooh, awesome! Thanks for all the ideas. I'm gonna look around and see what I can find. I was under the assumption that the box that I used had to be a "cake box". Good to know I don't need to be so restrictive. It's not like I'm gonna go out to my garage and pick out a box, but at least I have more options now. icon_razz.gif Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%