Sanding Sugar Vs Regular Sugar?

Baking By tujy Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 4:47pm by bakinccc

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 4

can i use the regular white sugar i put INTO the cookie dough as sanding sugar on RI? will it work exactly the same?

also, is there a way to MAKE different coloured sanding sugars using the regular white sugar?

TIA

3 replies
jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 4

I think that you could use the regular sugar instead of the sanding sugar, I've tried it before. As for coloring the sugar, put the amount of sugar yu want in a plastic bag, then with a toothpick add a bit of your choice of icing color gel paste, then just rub the sugar and the color together to mix them. You will have colored sugar. It won't be the same as the colored sanding sugar, because the sanding one is fully colored, whereas the regular one that you colored, will only have a color coating.

Hope this helps.

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 4

thanks jouj
i'll have to give that a go

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 4

One other thought on this.......regular sugar has smaller crystals than sanding sugar so it won't have quite the sparkle, but to get the most "visual" out of the regular sugar make sure to let your iced cookie sit for a couple minutes before applying the sugar so it doesn't just sink down into your fill icing. After sitting a while the cookie will still be tacky to the touch and the sugar will sit more on top of the icing for maximum sparkle.

I've also found there's a huge difference in looks when you sprinkle sugar over the cookie and tap off the excess right away vs. sprinkling sugar over the cookie then setting it down for 20 minutes or so and then tapping off the excess. You'll end up with more sugar covering the cookie which adds to the sparkle and just looks better IMHO. Good luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%