Cupcake Cake

Decorating By coll Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 2:20am by Parable

coll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coll Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:34am
post #1 of 7

How do I make a cake out of cupcakes? How many do I need? Do I need to hook them together somehow before I ice them? Never done it before and I saw an adorable cupcake cake on this site and would love to make it for my son. Help!!! PLease!!!

6 replies
miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:46am
post #2 of 7

Hi there, I can't help you with the actual cake making - but why don't you try to Private Message the person who made the cake you saw. They might be able to give you the full instructions. icon_smile.gif Good luck

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:50am
post #3 of 7

I have only made one but will try to help. I made a crown. First I drew a picture and filled it in with little circles (for the cupcakes) to see how many I would need. After the cuppies were made, I put them on the board in the design I needed. I pushed them close together. I put a little dap of icing on the bottom of the cuppies on the outside to hold them in place. I then just iced like you would any cake. I hope that is somewhat helpful. Good luck!

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 7

I'm a cake decorator at walmart and our cup cake cakes are very popular. All of our cupcake cakes have 24 cupcakes in them. we just put them all on a half sheet board and and move them around until we get the shape we want . then you put some frosting on the bottom of the cupcake so that it sticks. You can then ice it smooth or decorate it however you wish.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #5 of 7

I make aot of cupcake cakes as they are very simple to make and easy to serve, plus if you want 50 servings, you make 50 cupcakes thumbs_up.gif
I place the cupcakes on a cake board and move them around so that there is as little gaps between the cupcakes as possible. I don't usually put icing on the bottom of each one, just the outside ones to help them keep everything in place. Do a crumb coat over the whole thing and then I place a large amount of icing and smooth with my large spatula to get it as even as possible which of course scraps the icing down so there isn't too much.
The trick is to bake the cupcakes so they are as close to the same size as possible. I use an icecream scoop to measure my batter and keep them the same size and as soon as they come out of the oven, I carefully take a clean tea towl and gently push down on the tops to flatten them - it is hard to ice rounded cupcakes evenly. If I have cupcakes that are a little larger, I use them on the outside.
Good luck
icon_biggrin.gif

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 7

Thanks, Shayla, I too have been wanting to make a cupcake cake. But haven't quiet been sure how to do it! Thanks for the info! icon_smile.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:20am
post #7 of 7

Here is a link to the thread where I show a tutorial on How to make a cupcake cake. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-597891.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%