Round Vs. Square

Decorating By sharon57 Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 7:38am by Sabz

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 7

I have been ask to make a wedding cake for my nephew, they want a square cake. I have never stacked a tiered cake, and am wondering if one is easier to stack or if they are equal in difficulty. thanks

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I personaly like square cakes. I use dowel rods to stack my cakes. But lots of decorators use SPS system, but not sure about stacking square cakes with this method.

Do you know how many tiers you are going to do? I would stacks 3 tiers and deliver already assembled. But if its more than 3 tiers, I would go to the venue and then stack them. That is the way I do it.

Here is a link from Wilton about stacking cakes,

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/dowel-rod-construction.cfm

You can get lots of information from there.

thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 7

SPS comes in square, round and heart shape plates.

Personally, I'd rather eat worms than make a square cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 7

Wellllllllll I usually agree w/leahs but not this timeicon_sad.gif keep those worms to yourself LOL
One is no harder to stack than the other. It is a bit more difficult to ice a sq but not that much.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

....and am wondering if one is easier to stack or if they are equal in difficulty.

Neither .... they are equally simple!! icon_biggrin.gif (See, I'm a "glass is half FULL" kinda gal! thumbs_up.gif )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It is a bit more difficult to ice a sq but not that much.

I prefer doing square cakes! 73% of my weddings are square cakes. If I wasn't so far away, I'd swear I was getting leahs rejects! icon_lol.gif

sweetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetrat Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:56am
post #6 of 7

Now first off, I'm no professional. From someone who has moderate experience, square is more difficult to ice. You must keep the angles square & the corners can be tricky. Now as far as stacking, I don't think one is harder than the other. So I think it mainly depends on what you are more comfortable icing. I only do a few cakes a month so I don't have the practice most of these ladies do. That's just my 2 cents! icon_wink.gif

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:38am
post #7 of 7

Hi, I didn't want to start a whole new thread over my question. Made a search but couldn't get the specific answer I was looking for. I need to make a 3 tiered square cake for tomorrow. How many dowels are needed in the 12" and 10"?
Any help is appreciated.
TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%