Church Kitchen Rental?

Business By JenWhitlock Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 2:21am by maryjsgirl

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 4

in my long quest to find a commercial kitchen I think that my best bet is my church. (they have expressed some interest)

anyone here use a church for their business baking?
can you tell me what sort of arangement that you have?
i.e. do you rent at an hourly rate? monthly?
do you work for the church?

thank you!

3 replies
Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 4

I was good to go at all angles until the lawyers were approached.

There is the liability issue, even though I have my own they were concerned about accidents or food spoilage.

They also had the same issue as the "non-profit" issue with a "for profit" business on site.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 4

grrrr. I had a little CC hiccup and lost my last post.

anyway, I did read the other thread about the legal issues.
I talked to my local Health Department and they recommended a church kitchen. they told me that lots of people in the county do that. they said that my liscense would be independent from the church and not affect the church's status. I would also have my own business insurance.

I am really hoping that we can work something out. I was hoping to get an idea of what people do, what would make the church happy, and what won't break my bank.
thanks!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #4 of 4

Jen, I know Bloomington is a bit of a drive, but you may want to look into this...

http://www.localgrowers.org/incubator.html

or this...

"Are you in need of commercial kitchen space for your start up business? In the State of IN in order to produce foods for sale it must be conducted in a Commercial Kitchen. We have that space we can offer you when our business is closed -- these times begin mid afternoon. This is on a case by case basis. Please contact Mark @ [email protected] with details about your needs. We can go from there!
Phone: 317-590-7687"

Willow Branch Bakery near Greenfield was also advertising their kitchen for rent. I am not sure if they would rent it to someone else doing cakes, but worth the try I guess. If you google their name they have a website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%