Help With Leaves, Please!

Baking By JGMB Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 1:49pm by JGMB

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 8

Okay, I know that my yucky leaves are only one of the MANY problems with this cake . . . but, what exactly am I doing wrong?

I reduce pressure as I'm pulling out the leaf, I've tried thinning the buttercream, but the leaves always split in two at the tip.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
LL

7 replies
have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 8

which tip are you using? After I tried the Wilton 352 I've never used another leaf tip. Leaves come out perfect every time.

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 8

Same here. I could never get the 67, 66, etc to work correctly. I always use 352 or 349 (for smaller leaves) and NEVER have a problem!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 8

The opening of your tip is probably too narrow. I had this problem too and my Wilton instructor said it's a defect in the manufacturing and you just need open the tip opening a little more. When it's too close together it doesn't let enough icing through and it separates the leaf into 2 separate sections. That said, I prefer tip 352 for leaves because I think they look better. It's a v shaped tip. Make sure the pointed sides are facing up and down. Good luck!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:18am
post #5 of 8

I was using a 66 or 67, opened the tip a bit in class, and I still got the V leaf. Now I use only the 352 for leaves. Love it!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:22am
post #6 of 8

tip #352 all the way... if your icing is just right.. and if you open the #67 tip just right.. this tip makes a pretty leaf.. like i said..."IF"... the tips # 66,67,68,70...comes mostly closed.. you alway have to take your spatula .... go in between the slit and open up more , with a rocking back and forth motion.. do it easy.. as not to break the tip. hth

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:34am
post #7 of 8

I agree 3 thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much, everyone!!!! I'm REALLY happy to hear that it's not solely icon_wink.gif my lack of talent.

I plan to buy a #352 ASAP. I'd cross my fingers for luck, too, but it'd probably be hard to pipe anything that way!

Julie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%