Frosting A Cake Methods

Decorating By veronica970206 Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 7:14pm by Margieluvstobake

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, I searched about 100 forums, and see that there are well over 45,000 forums, and since I have 3 children, I do not have the time to search 45,000 forums, lol. I was wondering if anyone knows exactly step by step on how to use the Viva paper towel method or any other method to frost a cake with a VERY smoothe finish. It has been a loooong time since I had to just frost a cake (I use fondant for every cake pretty much), dont get me wrong I can do a crumb coat in my sleep, but there is a HUGE difference between that and an iced cake. I know there are other methods and I was wondering if anyone can give me step by step instructions on your favorite method? Thank you so very much for your time, you have no idea how much you all help me!!!! Sincerely, Veronica

12 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 13

Ice your cake as smooth as you can. After it has crusted you place the Viva over the area you want smoothed out and gently rub the towel with your hand or spatula.

You can also use the Melvira method that uses a very dense foam paint roller to gently go over the cake after it has crusted. This works wonders. HTH.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 13

Here is agreat video from Tonedna,

HTH. icon_smile.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 13

I get it smooth by waiting for it to crust a little, then using a fondant smoother on top of the viva paper towel to smooth the cake. It works great for me. My polka dot present cake in my photos was just done like that.

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 13

Man i wish we could get Viva towels in canada icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Im going to buy some next time we go to the US for sure.... Sugarshack uses computer paper for her final smoothing and that does the trick too!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 13

What bashini said!!!!

The link for the YouTube video by Tonedna is a very informative detailed instruction on this method.

It is much easier to learn techniques by watching and Tonedna has some awesome tutorials .

veronica970206 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 13

You all are so awesome!!! I saw a tutorial on here and the person iced a cake upside down, and I am more than willing to try it that way too, but my concern is when I do that and then let's say I want to place fondant over it (The individual placed the cake in the fridge a few times before done) and it makes the fondant crack or fall off the cake. Has anyone ever had that problem when placing a cake in the fridge and then covering it with fondant? Usually after I crumb-coat my cake, I roll out my fondant and then drap it over and go from there. I remember one time I did place it in the fridge and then covered it with fondant and it made the fondant crack and slide off, and I knew I had just enough of the icing too, so the only thing I could think of the cause was the whole placing it in the fridge deal. Have any of you had this problem? Thank you all so much again, you are amazing!!! Sincerely, Veronica

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:33am
post #8 of 13

If you like to buy Sugarshack's DVD's, Here is the link to her blog,

http://www.sugaredblog.blogspot.com/

I've got them and its worth every penny. I learnt a lot from that and using few of the methods myself.

HTH.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:50am
post #9 of 13

I'm in Canada too and haven't found Viva paper towels either but have had some luck with using waxed paper and my fondant smoother instead.

veronica970206 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 13

Wax paper, does it matter what side you use? They sell wax paper over here at the Dollar Tree, so I always have rolls of that around. I will try that too, you all are the best!!!!! Thanks so much, Veronica

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 13

I can never figure out which side is which so I'm not sure it matters. I'm not even sure if the one I buy has different "sides". The side that is waxier I guess would be the best bet.

Sorry can't answer better than that lol. icon_wink.gif

*Edited for spelling*

veronica970206 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 13

You are too funny, I will have to practice these techniques this week and see which one works better, either one, they all sound awesome!!! Thanks so much again, Veronica

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 13

I have also used tissue paper. It gives a really smooth finish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%