Luster Dust

Decorating By Tortess Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm by justsweet

Tortess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tortess Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:56am
post #1 of 7

Is there a difference between luster dust and the Wilton pearl dust? I know the pearl dust comes in a variety of colors; is luster dust the same way?

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:07am
post #2 of 7

The Wilton Pearl dusts are FDA approved "luster dusts". They're really pretty meak when it comes to adding color or pop.

I think they're pretty pricey for an inconvenient container and that fact that they're "meak".

Most luster dusts are non-toxic, but not FDA approved (they're not a food item but eating them won't hurt you). They come in dozens of colors.

Crystal Colors are FDA approved luster dusts and their pearl dust can be mixed with any of their FDA approved regular (matte) colors to make dozens of colors.

http://www.sugarpaste.com/colors/colors.htm

HTH
Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 7

.........Crystal Colors are FDA approved luster dusts and their pearl dust can be mixed with any of their FDA approved regular (matte) colors to make dozens of colors.
http://www.sugarpaste.com/colors/colors.htm ..........

Yes, I highly recommend them icon_smile.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 7

global sugar art also sells FDA approved crystal colors

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=995

CRYSTAL COLORS FACTS:
* CRYSTAL COLORS ARE MADE FROM 100% CERTIFIED FOOD COLOR.
* CRYSTAL COLORS CONTAIN NO FILLERS THAT WOULD DESTROY THE INTEGRITY OF THE COLORS.
* COLORS ARE USED FOR GUMPASTE FLOWERS,BUTTERCREAM FROSTING, FONDANT, WHITE CHOCOLATE AND OTHER APPLICATIONS (THERE'S NO BITTER TASTE).
* THE COLORS ARE VERY INTENSE SO A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY.
* THE COLORS COME IN EASY OPENING CONTAINERS.

Tortess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tortess Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much for all your informative replies. It's been very helpful.

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 7

This is great information. thumbs_up.gif I just used some spray luster and the cake took the whole can and it was pricey. icon_cry.gif I am thinking this would be better. Can you mix it in a way that you can airbrush it on the whole cake?

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyI

This is great information. thumbs_up.gif I just used some spray luster and the cake took the whole can and it was pricey. icon_cry.gif I am thinking this would be better. Can you mix it in a way that you can airbrush it on the whole cake?

You can mix luster dust with vodka or clear rum then airbrush on your cake.
It just take a little dust with vodka (when mixed would like 2% milk).

I bought clear plastic bottle from Michaels with a pop up lid. I make a big batch and just shake it when I ready to airbrush. Make sure you keep the lid closed or the vodka will evaporate is this happens just a more vodka and shake luster dust is still their.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%