Caster/castor Sugar?

Decorating By ShellBell69 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 1:02am by prterrell

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all. I am really wanting to try one of the mud cakes that everyone keeps talking about but what is Caster/Castor sugar? I looked in the grocery store and hobby place but can't find it. Help!?

6 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 7

I think castor sugar is the UK name for superfine sugar. Alton Brown made superfine sugar by putting regular white sugar (not powdered) in a food processor.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:55am
post #3 of 7

Domino also makes Superfine Sugar (I've also seen other brands that call it "Bar sugar" for making cocktails). Some of the larger, or upscale, supermarkets carry it and you can find it online (google Superfine sugar).

It's the same as caster sugar

HTH
Rae

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:43am
post #4 of 7

I just make my own caster sugar in my food processor. And I also do the same for my version of "popcorn" salt for my MMF

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 7

Hi ShellBell69, Bluehue here from Australia - we use Caster Sugar for all our Baking needs over here.

Have grabbed a link for you, showing the sugars and caster sugars we use. http://www.csrsugar.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?id=3

We don't have the 10x sugar that i see so often mentioned on American sites.
Caster sugar is a very fine sufar - but gritty.
The next *finest* sugar we have after Caster Sugar is Icing Sugar - Fine and powdery.
Hope that makes sense for you.
If you read the link and click on the different bags of sugar it explains it all better that i have
icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 7

Berry sugar is also available here. I haven't bought it ($$$) but imagine it to be the same as caster sugar. I use all my UK recipes here, but with regular sugar and they come out just fine (I bake by weight, where possible, rather than by volume).

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:02am
post #7 of 7

From joyofbaking.com

Quote:
Quote:

Superfine (castor or caster) sugar is granulated white sugar that has superfine granules and is good for making meringues as it dissolves rapidly. You can make your own by processing granulated sugar in your food processor for a few seconds.

Great article about sugar:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/printpages/sugarprint.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%