The Beauty Of Rolled Buttercream!

Baking By shiney Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 2:07am by jennifer7777

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:10pm
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

Sweeteecakes, it is greasy because of the crisco, but you just add PS to even it out.

Thanks Shiney!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #32 of 37

I read somewhere (I think on a CC post) that you can just at Corn Syrup to any buttercream recipe to make it RBC.....

I've tried it both ways, RBC recipe and regular BC with cs. The RBC was so greasy it was hard to work with even with added PS. I really liked the BC with corn syrup method. I always have BC made so now when I want to do a few cookies I just add a little CS and PS to already made BC.

Now I just need to remember which BC recipe I used that worked so well - I'm so bad experimenting and not taking good notes. icon_wink.gif

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:53pm
post #33 of 37

I tried the RBC and I found it very hard to work with. I kept adding powdered sugar but I couldn't roll it out and pick it up without it tearing. Do I need to add more powdered sugar or what? I have read so many good things about RBC the one and only time I tried it, it was a disaster. Any tips or hints for working with RBC would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm
post #34 of 37

One of the main tips I can give everyone for working with RBC is to use cornstarch when rolling it out. It works so much better than powdered sugar to me. I think, adding more powdered sugar can be done while in the mixing process...so instead of 2 pounds, maybe 2 1/2 or 3.

I do have to say, working with rolled buttercream IS way faster than outlining and flooding. And I like the RBC taste with cookies. I flavor mine with clear vanilla and creme bouquet. I roll it out, cut the shapes, and immediately transfer to a wax paper-lined cookie sheet to put in the freezer. Then what I do is bake the cookies, and as soon as they come out of the oven, put the RBC shapes on the cookies. The warmth of the cookie adheres the RBC...this way you don't have to go back and apply with corn syrup or RI.

Here is one of the problem I have had with RBC...when I detail with RI, the detailing comes off during packaging (not all of it, but certain parts). I figure this is due to the grease. So what I will try next time, is let the cookies sit for a day with the RBC to dry out, then detail. Anyone else run into this problem? Any tips?

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:52am
post #35 of 37

jennifer7777-I had this problem too, but this Valentine's I made a batch of Antonia's RI and I did not notice the details falling off during packaging. Not sure if that's what made the difference or not.

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #36 of 37

I use RBC all the time on my cookies and LOVE it! Yes, it does come off a little greasy but once they are on my cookies I use a small paint brush and brush my cookies with powder sugar to soak up the grease then pipe my details on and let air dry over night and by morning they are ready to be packaged.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:07am
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellJ

I use RBC all the time on my cookies and LOVE it! Yes, it does come off a little greasy but once they are on my cookies I use a small paint brush and brush my cookies with powder sugar to soak up the grease then pipe my details on and let air dry over night and by morning they are ready to be packaged.

Great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%