Will My Cake Be Stale?

Decorating By marion123 Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 12:54am by bakingpw

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 8

I have a question about putting cakes in a refrig. I baked my cake on Thursday night , kept it well covered and decorated it this morning w. a vanilla pudding filling and BC.. I thought the drop off was today at 3:00, but when I looked at my notes, it is really for tomorrow at 3:00, so now the cake is in the refrig. Is it OK or will it be stale? What do you guys think?
Thanks

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 8

Cakes are not a fragile as a lot of people make them out to be. (How old are those Oreos in your pantry? That loave of bread on your counter? icon_confused.gif )

I never refrigerate my cakes and my standard schedule is to ice/decorate on Thursday for a Saturday wedding. My own birthday cake ... I cut the top tier on Day 8 and it tasted great.

A CC'er posted info from Cooks Illustrated that said the process that causes a cake to go stale is halted when the cake is frozen ... and it is excelerated when the cake is refrigerated. So with that info and using that logic, putting a cake in the refrigerator could actually make it go staler, faster.

marion123 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your reply, but what do I do when it has a filling that needs to be refrigatored? This is a new client (a mom from my daughter'school) and I want her to use me again and I could make it over..
It is just a plain vanilla 1/4 sheet cake w. vanilla pudding & bc frosting and very simple, design.. Just 3 big ballons in the middle.
This mom is very active in our school and I know she would send buisness my way if she liked it... I don't want to take a chance..

What do you think?

PS.. Thank you so much!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 8

Uuugggg too bad you used pudding filling.
Is it from a pudding cup? Or did you make a batch of cooked?
If it is the cup.........it will be o.k. at room temp.

marion123 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 8

no, it is the instant kind w. milk...

I'm thinking I shouuld make it over w. a very valuable lesson learned right? can a cake be fresh if itis made on Thursday for Sunday?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by marion123

can a cake be fresh if itis made on Thursday for Sunday?

Yes.

marion123 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 8

I completely value your opion and I've seen your work, it's beautiful, so I'm going to keep it as it and deliver the cake I made...

Thanks.. I just needed a second voice, plus the more and more I thought about it, my husband works in a factory, so normally he takes my cakes, but they are closed for Monday, so I didn't want to just waste it..

Thank you again,

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:54am
post #8 of 8

If you have doubt...and if you think this sale may bring others, START OVER. Statistically, people who enjoy a meal/dessert will tell 1-2 people. Those same people will tell 10-12 people about a bad experience. Not good chances if you are trying to grow a business.

I never make a cake on Thurs. for Sun. - Bake a fresh cake the evening before, decorate the day of the event. I never have to doubt or wonder if I will get repeat business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%