Getting Started!

Decorating By Jenny2451 Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 3:29am by Jenny2451

Jenny2451 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny2451 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 8:01am
post #1 of 8

I am in the beginning stages of learning how to make gorgeous cakes and have had two classes with Collette Peters. Although I have learned some great techniques for making certain gumpaste and fondant flowers and shapes, I am lacking some of the basics that someone would most likely have learned in Pastry School. Does anyone have any ideas how or where to go to learn about different fillings, cakes, frosting techniques etc.? I recently made a 4 layer cake, covered in fondant, with wonderful decorations, only to have the filling begin sliding out between the layers!!! I would prefer not to repeat this one anytime soon! All ideas would be greatly appreciated![/i]

7 replies
saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 8

You need to put a stiff frosting dam around the edge of the layer to hold the filling in. I just add additional powdered sugar to my frosting to the point that I can almost roll it between my fingers. I put it in a pastry bag with just a coupler inserted and put that around the edge of the cake, then add the filling in the middle. Make sure not to put too much filling in it or once the cake is cut, the top layer will slide off (ask me how I know that!).

HTH

Sheryl

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 8

Yep. Not too much filling. Cake dam verry important too. Filling only needs to be 1/4" to 1/2" thick.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 8

Definitely look into SugarShack's DVDs!

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 8

Wow, how lucky are you to have your first classes with Collette Peters?! I think my skin has just turned green with envy! That's a great start.

My advice is to just start baking and trying different recipes that sound good. There are lots of recipes on this site and recommendations from people who've tested them. I've learned so much from just reading the Q and A's in these forums.

Welcome to the addiction!

Jenny2451 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:25am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Wow, how lucky are you to have your first classes with Collette Peters?! I think my skin has just turned green with envy! That's a great start.

My advice is to just start baking and trying different recipes that sound good. There are lots of recipes on this site and recommendations from people who've tested them. I've learned so much from just reading the Q and A's in these forums.

Thanks so much! While I have learned how to decorate, I'm still struggling with fillings that don't squirt out the sides etc. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm glad to be here!

Jenny2451 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #7 of 8
Quote:

Thanks so much! While I have learned how to decorate, I'm still struggling with fillings that don't squirt out the sides etc. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm glad to be here!

Jenny2451 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:29am
post #8 of 8
Quote:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%