Honest Feedback.......

Decorating By grama_j Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm by flamingobaker

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 30

I'm on a real downer lately, and I don't know what is wrong.... I'm not getting complaints, but it is ME that is not happy with anything.... would you all take a look at my castle cake and give me some honest critisism ? I've waited a year for SOMEONE, ANYONE, to ask for a castle cake, ...... I finally got the order, and I've worked on it all week, and I'm just disappointed...... sighhhh......

29 replies
grama_j Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 30

Oh, geezzeee.... SEE ? I forgot to give you the link to the cake........
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1315656.html

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 30

It looks GREAT!! In fact, I have my 3-y-o daughter sitting here on my lap and she said, "Mommy, I want that cake. It's pretty!!"
You did a great job!! I can only imagine the amount of work a cake like this would take.
~ Jaime

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 30

Grama_j--Your castle cake is adorable! I really like all the details--the vines w/ all of the flowers, the stone impression--very nice! I know what it's like to look forward to doing a cake for so long, then it not coming out quite like I had hoped--but your castle cake looks great! thumbs_up.gif

(I also looked at several of your other cakes. You do really nice work--the hat box, the smocking--I've been wanting to try that--all the ones I looked at are very nicely done. Maybe it's just "winter blues." Maybe try thinking of all the fun spring cakes you can start decorating soon!)
HTH!

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 30

The picture is not real clear but from what I can see the cake is very cute. I know that took a LOT of work and I can see how you would feel disappointed if you didn't get the compliments you were hoping for. Don't get down on yourself because the cake is really good. Hang in there.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 30

Hi Gramma J.

Maybe it's the weather or who knows. You do such beautiful work, and alwasy helping people out on here. I'm sorry your feeling this way, is there anything we can do?

((HUG))

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 30

Why would you be disappointed? I think it looks great! You probably are just really tired. I've only made 1, and it wore me out!!! Don't worry, It is beautiful!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 30

You're cake does look GREAT!! It is so cute, you should be proud of it. The work that went into it is amazing. Every detail looks good. Don't be so hard on yourself, we are our own worst critics. thumbs_up.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 30

Your cake is wonderful. Having just done my first castle cake for my grandaughter last weekend, I know how much time you put into that cake! Her cake had 315 Forget-Me-Nots and that was just the beginning..

We tend to be our own worst critic and see all the flaws. When I finally finish a cake and think that I can't do this anymore, I go to bed, get up the next day and think..."I did that!" and am grateful that I could and did!

Keep up the hard work and don't quit. icon_smile.gif

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 30

I think it's really cute! A rotating Cinderella? Watch out Duff! GramaJ is on your tail! icon_smile.gif

What do you think is bad about it? Did your customer not seem happy? Or just you? After my experience on that stupid rate my cakes site, I've decided that the recipients of my cakes are the only ones whose opinions count!!! I am positive that this cake is going to be THAT cake that the little girl always remembers...well unless you make her next one too!! Cheer up!

scrapperjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapperjade Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 30

I think its beautiful! I did leave some feeback on your picture though. The only thing I think I would have done differently was made the vines a softer green to match the other soft colors... but thats just me icon_smile.gif. It really is a very beautiful cake!!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 30

I think it's the perfect "fairyland" castle cake.

great job

grama_j Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 30

" I know that took a LOT of work and I can see how you would feel disappointed if you didn't get the compliments you were hoping for. "

Oh, no, Bonnell..... that isn't it.... no one has even seen it yet..... she isn't picking it up until tomorrow........ Maybe I'm just on a downer lately......
You guys are great though...... we can always count on our CC Friends...... Thank you all so much.... ( HUGS ) right back on you !

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #14 of 30

Grama J,

Sorry, I misread your original post - thought you said you didn't get compliments. So you are just having trouble pleasing yourself then? I understand. I'm new at this and can find a million things wrong with the cakes I make (not that many yet) but no one else sees the flaws - only me. You need to cut yourself some slack and know that the majority of people that see our cakes only see the great end result, they don't know about the trials and tribulations that went into the production of it. I took a cake I made for Valentine's Day to work the other day and everyone went nuts over it but I was very disappointed in it because one section of it wasn't level (oven problems and was in a hurry so I leveled it freehand instead of using my leveler). So we are our own worst critics.

Your work is great.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #15 of 30

I think you are just to close to it, It is a very pretty cake and one you should be proud of.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:17pm
post #16 of 30

You're kidding right? There is nothing wrong with the cake. I LOVE the little girl's picture on the front and the vines are very nicely done. It's precious!

Now, something that my teacher told me and she is so right. We are our own worst critics. She's right. I have yet to make a cake that I was absolutely thrilled with and that I didn't think, "well, I could have done this better, or maybe I should have done that." Don't be hard on yourself. I have never had a cake complaint yet.

It's beautiful! Now smile! It doesn't cost anything and it makes others wonder what you're up to! icon_wink.gif

Eisskween Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #17 of 30

Duplicate post.

Eisskween Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:41pm
post #18 of 30

Duplicate post

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:11pm
post #19 of 30

Come on! That's one beautifully girly cake! icon_biggrin.gif I hear you though. I've been and sometimes still am my own worst critic.

But think about it this way...there is absolutely nothing about your cake that's a major flaw or gaff. It's done, it's great and it has presence. thumbs_up.gif And when the Cake Civilian sees it, she'll place it on the table to all the ooohs and aaaahs of the other moms at the party and the kids will go nuts for it and in all the glorious hoopla of the party, no one will notice whatever it is that you wish could be different about it. Because they'll love it!

Btw, my daughter just asked me if you could make it for her birthday in April. You busy in a couple of months? icon_wink.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:25pm
post #20 of 30

I think it's a beautiful cake. I've never done a castle cake and can't imagine the amount of work that goes into one. (Well, I can imagine because I know how long it takes me to do a simple one!!) I feel the same way you do about my own work. I always have these wonderful ideas in my head and then when I'm done I feel disappointed. I've only done two cakes that I thought were really nice, and the funny thing is they aren't cakes that most people give a second look at. I guess it's a matter of opinion. I do know that I was talking to the recipient of the "horse cake" I did and we were discussing cake decorating, etc., and she was telling me how she always wanted to take a class. I commented to her during the conversation that I could tell her where every single flaw was on that cake and she said, "We thought it was great. Olivia loved it." I guess that's all that matters. ( I still know where the flaws were, though.)

Lisa

clmiller1206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clmiller1206 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:57am
post #21 of 30

Well, I think your cake is adorable and all the other little girls at the party will want one just like it. I am certainly not brave enough to attempt a castle cake yet - afraid it would take me so long the cake wouldn't be any good by the time I finished it thumbsdown.gif

I know that there is always at least one thing about my first attempt on all of my cakes that I have done differently on the next one - they never seem to look as good (to me) in reality as they did in my imagination!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:08am
post #22 of 30

its is lovely... you like me have been wanting someone to ask me for a castle cake my girls are tooo old and my niece well its just not her thing. havent been able to talk my son into one or any of my nephews.. i spose i will have to wait to grandchildren eheh in manymany years.... you did a fab job

grama_j Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:15pm
post #23 of 30

Well, I just HAD to get back and tell you that they LOVED it ! I was explaining to her how to cut it, and she said...... "Oh, yes, I suppose I'm going to HAVE to cut it, aren't I? It is just to pretty to put a knife to it !"
Thank you for all the support......I guess sometimes we just need the voice of our peers........ Thanks again....... ((( HUGS )))

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:18pm
post #24 of 30

{{hugs}} right back to ya, grama_j! So glad they loved it...nice work!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:47pm
post #25 of 30

I'm really sorry you're discouraged because that does take some fun out of it. However, the cake you posted is darling and very well done. It looks very professional. I hope you'll feel better about your cakes because you really do lovely work! And I imagine that your cakes bring lots of happiness to the people who receive them.....I hope that helps YOU!!!!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:53pm
post #26 of 30

i think ur cake is fab!!!! i love it, ive always wanted to try a castle cake but im certainly not brave enuf!!!! you under estimate your self, your extreemly talented! id be exstatic to recieve this cake, dont be too hard on yourself, as they say, were our own worst critic, but i really dont think you can be critical about this cake!

AFBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AFBarbie Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:01pm
post #27 of 30

Your cake is beautiful. Like everyone has mentioned, we are are own worse critics. I'm never happy with any of my cakes (I'm a newbee at this) but the people I do them for are always happy.

I think you are extremely talented. You will most likely have tons of requests from little girls for the same cake.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #28 of 30

Don't be so hard on yourself! icon_wink.gif

I know how it is - especially after looking at all the beautiful cakes on this site.
I compare myself to the masters and always fall short.

But!...like you said - the customer loved it. That is what matteres.
It is OK to use your dissapointment with your work as an incentive to keep learning and improving your work, but have confidence in the beautiful work you already do! thumbs_up.gif

flamingobaker Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #29 of 30

I know how it is - especially after looking at all the beautiful cakes on this site.

It is OK to use your dissapointment with your work as an incentive to keep learning and improving your work, but have confidence in the beautiful work you already do! thumbs_up.gif

flamingobaker Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #30 of 30

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%