Refrigerated Cream Cheese Icing Lifespan??

Decorating By gwright0906 Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm by gwright0906

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:09am
post #1 of 8

I experimented and made cream cheese icing last Sunday...do you think it will be okay to use for cupcakes this weekend?? They have been in a sealed container in the refrigerator for almost a week.

Thank you!!

7 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 8

I have a cookbook that says cc icing is good for 10 days if refridgerated or 2 days at room temp. You should be good to go for this weekend!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 8

Hi, I will probably be killed for this, but I follow the exp. date on the cream cheese an butter, which is generally a ways out.

I think it will be fine if you just made it last week, I just used some from last week.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 8

It depends on the recipe you used. The more sugar in it the longer it will last. But I wouldn't go much beyond this weekend icon_smile.gif
Do smell & taste 1st just to be safe.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It depends on the recipe you used. The more sugar in it the longer it will last. But I wouldn't go much beyond this weekend icon_smile.gif
Do smell & taste 1st just to be safe.

I made some and had extra...I put it in my freezer...how long will it be good for? My hubby probably won't let it stay there too long...LOL!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 8

Cream cheese is considered a hazardous ingredient in Tennessee.

The life expectancy outside the frige is key. It's four hours total.

So add everything up. However long you let it set out to come to room temp and get made into icing and how long it was out the first time you used it, plus how long it's out while you use it this time. All has to be under four hours for safety. Plus outside the frige for travel time home from the store. All the time outside the frige gets added together.

And no it hasn't gone into putrid toxic waste at that point. However it's a hazardous product and at four hours outside refrigeration times's up. After that you run the risk of someone very old or very young or already sick getting sicker.

Yes the sugar delays the process but the process still begins at four hours outside the box (refrigerator).

One of the bakeries I used to work at used cream cheese icing and never friged it but I would not do that now. Because I want to play it safe.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 8

k8memphis...Thanks for the info.

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you guys...it has only been outside the refrigerator for about an hour so SURELY it will be fine for this weekend.

As always...I appreciate the help icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%