Royal Icing Issues

Baking By cd369406 Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 12:18am by ShariB-DivineDesserts

cd369406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cd369406 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 7

every time i make royal icing it always dries very dull, i follow antonina's recipe, but i cant seem to get it to dry shiny and pretty. any advice?

also, every time i try to get red icing or black icing it turns out pink or grey... i use the wilton gel colors but can't seem to get a deep enough color (the dull colors make this problem worse)

please help me! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:16am
post #2 of 7

I don't know about the dullness but I know that I have a horrid time gettingblack and red too. With buttercream I start out chocolate. Hmmm maybe if you tinted it brown then added black that might work. Also maybe get it as pink as you can with pink then add red... don't really know....

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:34am
post #3 of 7

your problem is most likely the gel colors... wiltons is good for some stuff if you have to use them but Americolor is the best and you get a truer(sp) shade of the colors with it

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 7

What are you using the icing for? Maybe you can substitute a different icing. If it is for icing cookies, I found a recipe on here that I love and I use on all the cookies in my gallery. It dries pretty hard, and isn't dull. It also takes color well. My Reds and Blacks come out nice, it takes a lot of color, but it works.

here is the link to the Sugar Cookie Icing. but you cant search for it under that because whoever accidently spelled Sugar Suagr icon_smile.gif but the link will take you to my favorite cookie icing.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6523-Suagr-cookie-Icing.html

cd369406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cd369406 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 7

thank you all very much! i am going to try all of the suggestions, it is for icing cookies.. a friend of mine is getting married and i want to give her some of the wedding dress/ tuxedo heart cookies, i just want to give her black tuxedos and not grey ones!

icon_lol.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 7

Definitely switch to Americlor! Also, for RI, starting off with some powdered food color and then adding the gel might help. It still will take a lot more red and black coloring to get the color you want than with other colors.

ShariB-DivineDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShariB-DivineDesserts Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:18am
post #7 of 7

I just made over 200 cookies for my Heart Stacks. I used RI. The Pink and White were nice an shiny. The red was dull. I think it has to do with the amount of color we add...I used AmeriColor Red, but still had to use a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%