Help With Patchwork Cutters Please

Decorating By gscout73 Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 11:38am by gscout73

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 8

Ok, I've been laid off of a job I loved from a company that has been great to me for 14 years. I need to supplement my income by taking on more cakes, so I bought a few patchwork cutters. But I see they are really only embossers. So, here is what I need to know:

1. Do I cut out the shapes with an exacto?
2. How do I get multi colored pieces? Do i have to cut out whole shapes out of different colored fondant, cut them apart, piece the colors I want together then put on cake?? that just seems like a lot of time.
3. If I paint the parts instead, they won't look as good.
4. Also, there is a lace cutter that I ordered but it came with silicone already in the cutter??? What do I do with that???
5. How do I get the fondant out of the lace cutter?? If I use a toothpic or other tool, I will distort the design.

I really need help. And I really want to learn. icon_cry.gif

7 replies
gscout73 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #2 of 8

I'm bumping this up because i know there are users out there who would just love to pass on some helpful hints to an unemployed fellow CC sis. Please?

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:22am
post #3 of 8

giving you a bump, as well as interested to know how other talented decorators did their patches as well....

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 8

Hi maybe this thread will give you some tips until someone posts to your thread.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=612178&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:38am
post #5 of 8

I don't know about the patchwork but with the intricate designs (like lace) you would probably want to freeze it for 15 minutes. Remove it from the freezer and give it a gentle twist, allow it to come to room temperature befor using or painting.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:47am
post #6 of 8

I had a class with Nicolas Lodge. You roll the fondant or gumpaste very thin. Let dry a few minutes if sticky. Then rub a very thin layer of shortening on the cutting edge. Place cutter on fondant ,push cutter down then holding on to the cutter on top of fondant push in a circular motion. Until you are sure the outside edge is completely cut out. If needed use a small pin to loosen cutout. To make multi colors, cut out another in different color and use that small piece only on top of full piece until you build your design. I hope this helps. And Nick has a lot of instructional videos all worth their money

I hope this helps
nancyg

Christie_H Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christie_H Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:58am
post #7 of 8

I followed the directions in Lindy Smith's books. I haven't used the lace cutter, but for others, I make the overall impression and cut around the outside of the shape with an exacto. I then cut out the sections that I want to replace with another color and insert the new. Obviously, the smaller and more colorful the design, the more time consuming.

Here are poppy cupcakes I made from her "Celebrate with a Cake!" book.
LL

gscout73 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:38am
post #8 of 8

Thank you, Tammy. That thread is exactly what I need!!! It has a link to the "official" iste for patchwork cutters I am now happy again and ready to get started. I've been looking for jobs and began workshops, and need a break.

Christie_H, I love those cupcakes! And they way you said is exactly what I thought.

Ok, as soon as I take DD to school, I am breaking out the new cutters and fondant and making a valentines cake.... or 2.... icon_wink.gif Thank you everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%