Help With Sugarshack's Sugar Free Cake Recipe...

Decorating By rocketmom1985 Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm by Wildkatzcakes

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:26am
post #1 of 17

I made this cake this morning and used a 9 X 13 pan instead of the two 8" pans called for in the recipe. The cake looked perfect going in the oven...and I watched the time carefully...toothpick test was ok and removed the cake after 22 minutes...left the cake cooling in pan for ten minutes and come back to the kitchen. Instead of a beautiful chocolate sugar free cake I have a flat pancake! icon_eek.gif

Has anyone used the recipe on the Sugarshack blog (hers looks absolutely amazing by the way...!)?? She does note the cakes only reached 1.5 inches so she torted them. Wellllllll....this cake is a donation for a craft show where cake and pie slices will be sold in the "tea room". I was thinking I would just make another cake and if the same thing occurs, I can use the two cakes and make a two layer sheet cake...
dh says to just put a lot of SF frosting on it! icon_rolleyes.gif I am a bit disappointed...these failures are really costly $$$$!!!

Any tips before I try this cake again?

TIA

16 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:25am
post #2 of 17

i think that was not enough batter for that pan.

double the recipe and fill the pans halfway up and see how it does. Sugar free cakes do not rise well, no matter what. so I just make more of it. you can cut your rectangle and "torte" the 2 halves of it.

rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 17

Thanks Sharon...

I "assumed" that I could sub the pans like with a cake mix...you know the old saying about "assuming"! I will do that in the morning. I'll let you know how it turns out after doubling the recipe...

icon_smile.gif

rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 17

Okie dokie...an update from a very embarassed newbie icon_redface.gif

My dh was commenting(something he just excells at...he is home recovering from hip replacement surgery so he is like a spy, watching my every move) icon_rolleyes.gif
He says he doesn't recall seeing me put FLOUR in the cake...well, I mean how could that be? So, I remade the cake. This time I made sure he saw me put the flour into the dry mixture bowl...

Cake came out perfect. Filled the pan...didn't fall. Geesh, ya think I coulda NOT put in the flour? Well, we'll never know. The chocolate pancake was tossed in the trash. I just finished the crumb coat using the French buttercream recipe with splenda. Looks very good so far. Will post a pix when it is done. The 9 X 13 pan works fine!

I just cannot believe I didn't put in the flour which is the only thing I can think of...will I tell dh? Nope...this is our little secret tapedshut.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 17

eh, we have all done it too. glad it worked!

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 17

Just saw this...my DH is diabetic...so I'm going to look for the recipe ...did you use a 9 x 13 x 3 pan? All my pans are 3 inches high...Just curious as to how high it rises..wether in a round or a rectangle....??
Thanks!!

iownajane Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 17

OOOPS...I gues it's not posted here...where might I find it?...Thanks again..

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 17

I was wondering where to find it as well my FIL is a diabetic.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:43am
post #9 of 17

The recipe can be found on Sharon's blog at SugarEd Productions. Check out

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Sugar%20free

and scroll down thumbs_up.gif

iownajane Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:58am
post #10 of 17

icon_smile.gif Thanks ibmoser!!

rocketmom1985 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:54am
post #11 of 17

I just used my 9 X 13 pan I have used to make cakes forever in...it was about 2 and a half inches high...almost like a cake mix cake would rise in that kinda pan. I would think a 3" deep pan would be ok...

iownajane Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:31am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

I just used my 9 X 13 pan I have used to make cakes forever in...it was about 2 and a half inches high...almost like a cake mix cake would rise in that kinda pan. I would think a 3" deep pan would be ok...

...and if I remember from your earlier post,you used the recipe as is...so I shouldn't double it? Or should I double it...as per Sharon's suggestion...since it's her recipe icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
Thanks for the help..I appreciate it!

rocketmom1985 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:48am
post #13 of 17

When I rebaked it (with flour shhh.gif ) I just used the recipe as written. I am not sure if you should double it for a 3" pan. Sorry I am not much help. I would think you might risk overflow with the 3 incher with a doubled recipe.

iownajane Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:55pm
post #14 of 17

Ok...Thanks!....You're too funny...I think I did the same thing once..had something in the pan,just put in the oven,and saw the carefully premeasured sugar(I think it was) sitting on the counter in it's "prep" bowl...so I scraped it out and mixed it in (needless to say it didn't get "creamed" with anything icon_redface.gif ..and then I think I tossed the cake anyhow...and made another...I guess we all do it at least once..

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:17pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks for this recipe...have friends that are diabetic.

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #16 of 17

Hi I just got a request from friend who wants a splenda chocolate cake for someone diabetic. I am wondering if this cake is yummy. I haven't found too many tasty splenda cake recipe.

Thank you.

Wildkatzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildkatzcakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm
post #17 of 17

Where is the recipe for the sf buttercream???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%