Help Making A Mold For Zipper Pull

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm by TooMuchCake

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a cake that needs several zippers. I usually make them by hand then got the inspiration from this site to make my own mold for them. The zipper itself came out perfect. BIG problems making the zipper pull part though. Do you detach the two pieces and mold them separately? How do you do it ? Need answers/help ASAP this cake is due in a week and the zippers are the least of my worries but taking the most time! I'de rather not hand mold them.

IDEAS?
Thanks!

5 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 6

The zipper I used in the diaper bag tutorial here:
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Welcoming_William.html
was made by using the molding compounds from makeyourownmolds.com and a heavy jacket zipper. I picked the jacket zipper because the teeth are large and easy to see and mold. I cut the end off the zipper so that I could slide the pull off of it, and I made a mold of the pull as well.

HTH,
Deanna

chanielisalevy Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 6

THanks - the problem I was having was making a mold of the pull itself. Did you disassemble the two pieces of the pull and mold them separately? I couldn't mold it as one piece. What am I missing here? Thanlks so much for your help!

TooMuchCake Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 6

No, don't take the pull apart... The mold I made does not have the flappy part of the pull as a separate piece. I molded the pull with the flappy part laying as it normally would, along the body of the pull itself. Does that make sense? Then, when I've molded a piece of fondant in the mold, I snip the fondant underneath the flappy part with a small pair of scissors and then use my fingers to neaten up the snipped place. Sometimes I'll also use small round icing tips to cut out a hole in the end of the flappy part where a ribbon or some other decorative pull might go.

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense.... Let me know if I'm not and I'll try again.

Deanna

chanielisalevy Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 6

I think I sort of kind of maybe understand what you said (huh?) I'll try to mold it again. Some of the molding compound got underneath the pull part so much that I couldn't get a decent mold. I'm going to try again with a bigger pull.

Thanks for your help.

TooMuchCake Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 6

Perhaps the bigger pull is the answer. The one from the jacket zipper I used is fairly large.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%